Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best engine/chassis combo for diy mechanic?
i thought the center bolt valve covers started with the vortec head?

i had a 400cid in a 4x4 that ran strong until it cracked between cylinders and my current 400 runs strong,until it cracks
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
still hating touchscreen now add roundabouts
Add Thank You Reply
highdesertranger:

No arguments there on the Ford VVC. Garbage. I used the Motorcraft 2150 2V to replace either the Thermal-Quad, or just as horrible the Carter BBD.

When it comes to parts interchange, I'd say Chevy and Dodge are the same. You can stick a T700R4 into a 1975 Chevy van just as easily as you can stick a 46RH into a 1975 Dodge van. You can throw in a 1999 magnum 5.2 into your 1964 Dodge Dart just as easily as a 1990's vette motor into your 1969 Impala with little hassle. A dana-44 is a dana-44 no matter if its a Chevy, dodge, or even Ford. Same for Dana 60's.

When it comes to aftermarket support, again its about the same for all three American brands. I can just as easily buy an aftermarket dizzy, 4V intake and headers for my Dodge as a Chevy, or Ford. I can get an LSD for the rear of my Ford 9" just as fast and easily as for my Dodge dana 60, or Chevy 14bolt.

IMHO, it all comes down to the quality of the chassis. I think Ford has got it down with the full frame. I see the point with uni-chassis, but in my experience the Ford rides better, and is stronger then others, albeit it does squeak more when your flex'in her.... AND the Ford is alot easier to convert to 4x4... (More on that later.)
"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."

Add Thank You Reply
(04-19-2017, 08:27 PM)Gary68 Wrote: i thought the center bolt valve covers started with the vortec head?

i had a 400cid in a 4x4 that ran strong until it cracked between cylinders and my current 400 runs strong,until it cracks

As I recall, the Chevy 400 small block features a "siamesed cylinder" engine block. As far as I can remember, this lead to the blocks being prone to cracking between the cylinders. I don't do alot of Chevy, and I really haven't for decades.
"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."

Add Thank You Reply
(04-21-2017, 11:54 AM)steamjam1 Wrote: As I recall, the Chevy 400 small block features a "siamesed cylinder" engine block. As far as I can remember, this lead to the blocks being prone to cracking between the cylinders. I don't do alot of Chevy, and I really haven't for decades.

yep,steam holes and all but thats what came with my rig so thats what i get to deal with unless you have a spare 2k laying around
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
still hating touchscreen now add roundabouts
Add Thank You Reply