Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C head Composting Toilet Review
So two weeks ago we got our c head composting toilet, which in my opinion has been a big improvement over the basic bucket system. Now it might not seem like much of a difference besides the separation of the solids and liquids, but it actually has a churning system, that will bury the solid waste after use and not have to add so much medium after every use causing it to fill up much faster. 

Now first I wanna talk about the design, it involves one thing I love.. Simplicity. There is a bunch of noooks and crannies so cleaning it is very simple. Removing the liquids and solids contains are really easy with a simple lift of the hatch and emptying is very quick and easy. The liquids container is nothing more than a gallon water jug, so you don't have to worry about your container getting caked up after a while, you can just recycle the jug and put in a new one for a very low cost. I'd say we fill ours up almost daily, probably would be more but I'm a neandrothol and I pee outside any chance I get. There's also a little slit to see the container level so you'll know when it's about time to empty it.

The solids container is just a 5 gallon bucket that has been modified, again very easy to remove and empty and the churning system actually buries the waste very well. Now we have just gone with the recommend amount of turns on the handle which is around 20, I know that seems like a lot but it really isn't and you can't see anything after.
When it comes to smell after pooping, it does linger for a bit, but we also do not have a vent hose connected to ours for numerous reasons. But it's not unbearable, and it doesn't last long. We have been ursing pine saw dust, we plan to try cocoir soon, and we have found that we don't like peatmoss, so the saw dust seems to be doing the trick for now.

Now if you're a guy with a alpha ego you won't like this toilet, because guess what, you do have to sit down to pee to use it, you may be able to figure out some way to use it standing, I don't see how tho. But if you can get past your ego and just realize that it's nothing  a big deal to sit to pee then you're good to go, which peeing when you poop is sitting down to pee so you've technically already done it before.

When asked why we chose this particular toilet over some of the other ones, there's a few factors, one we are simple people and this just seemed like such a simple system and it is, I'd say two would be the price, this particular model was around $560 I think, and compare that to other one that are in the $900 to $1100 range, we just couldn't justify spending much more for something, that we really just wanted a system that could separate the liquid and solid, as we found with the bucket system, it's not preferred to mix both in one, and we were having to empty it more often, and the smell, so yeah the c head seem to make more sense for us.

They were many people who said the reason they didn't get the c head was because you cannot throw toilet paper into the waste container the way you can some of the others, while this is true, with the c head toilet paper will not get buried by the churning system, so yes I will admit that is a downside, however our solution is simple and we have a separate little container that we found for $4 that we use for toilet paper, and then just put it in the trash when it's full, and we have had no issues with odors. So yeah the whole toilet paper thing isn't really that big of a deal at all.

All in all, I'd say we are satisfied, for the price and simplicity of the system I would definitely recommend it if you're planning on composting, or just
do not wanna deal with the black tank, I feel this is much quicker and less gross than the black tank. Hope this helped some of you and sorry for the lengthy post. lol

Live Free(er)
Instagram: joshsikorski
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to WanderLoveJosh for this post:
Snow Gypsy (04-06-2017), Coffee Tim (04-06-2016), Spirituallifetime (04-06-2016), BradKW (04-06-2016), Oberneldon (04-06-2016), Marie (04-06-2016)
Thanks for the review! I've been looking at both C-head and Nature's Head and wondered why the price difference...this is the first time I've seen that you can't put TP into a C-head. Not sure if that will be a deciding factor or not, but certainly good to know....

Ford E450 Box Truck RV Conversion
...but no pictures thanks to Photobucket...
Add Thank You Reply
I enjoyed your review and the attention you put into editing your video, but every time I see one of these things I appreciate my bag-and-chuck method that much more. I dunno... I don't want to churn my solids... nor empty... nor clean...

One time, I sold a toilet auger to a woman, and she asked me how it worked. I replied, "Just like a cake mixer, only you don't lick the paddle when you're finished." That about summarizes my feelings on anything that might 'churn' my poo. I'll stick with a bag or a cat hole.

But thanks for the review! I know there are people here that prefer a system like this. Big Grin
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
Hopeful (04-05-2017), Snowbunny (04-06-2016)
where do you dump this thing isn't it like gooey and thick with no liquid, how do you get it out of there and what do you do with it if you are on the road, I can see if you have a garden and a compost heap, I saw that Almost There has one of these and they look that they are good idea, and she says her;s doesn't smell. A chemical toilet you can just empty down a toilet do you have to scoop this one out with TMG51's ladle then wash it with a toilet brush ???? or am I missing something.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-06-2016, 11:22 PM)flying kurbmaster Wrote: where do you dump this thing isn't it like gooey and thick with no liquid, how do you get it out of there and what do you do with it if you are on the road, I can see if you have a garden and a compost heap, I saw that Almost There has one of these and they look that they are good idea, and she says her;s doesn't smell.  A chemical toilet you can just empty down a toilet do you have to scoop this one out with TMG51's ladle then wash it with a toilet brush ???? or am I missing something.

After more than 3 months of continuous use I can still say that I am impressed with the C-Head.

And yes, you're missing something.

No the solids aren't gooey and thick, not unless you've have a lot of diarrhea. Then it can get gooey... Dodgy

The pine bedding that I use basically encapsulates the solid waste.

I use pine bedding rather than sawdust. I buy the cubes at W/M in the pet section. It's sold as hamster bedding. Pine is recommended over cedar because it absorbs better.

There is no residual smell. The only odor is immediately after depositing solid waste and then less smell than the bathroom at home.

Emptying the liquid container is as simple as pouring out the contents. I can put the gallon container in a shopping bag or any kind of pack and take it in to a toilet. Depending on where I am and what the rules are, urine can be disposed of in several ways.

Emptying the solids- the instruction book suggests having a second 5 gallon bucket and the C-Head comes with a gamma lid assembly to go on the second bucket. The initial solid container is emptied in to the secondary bucket and disposed of.

In the northern wilderness where I spend the summer I would have no hesitation about digging it in to a large cathole. In the desert, this is, of course, not possible. Obviously this would need to be done with consideration to proximity to watercourses, etc. but it would be no different than a thunderbox that  we find in the wilderness camping areas.

Aside from the ease of use and the lack of smell, the C-Head is low operating cost and environmentally friendly. I pay nothing for chemicals, never have to pay dump fees and my only cost is the occasional replacement gallong water jug and a package of pine bedding at less than $4.00 every 6 weeks or so.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Lady Arabella - 2002 GMC Savana 2500, fiberglass high top DIY conversion  
Link to the building of her here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer as of November 24, 2015

Add Thank You Reply
(04-06-2016, 11:40 PM)Almost There Wrote: In the northern wilderness where I spend the summer I would have no hesitation about digging it in to a large cathole. In the desert, this is, of course, not possible.

I've been told that when in the desert, the place to dig for this is in the bottom of a wash (loose silt). I haven't done it, but that's what I've been told.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The "Humanure Handbook"  is available on Amazon..  It's in it's  3rd edition.......also has a Ebook....If it's just googled it also shows the Loveable Loo which came about after the book was published due to requests and inquires by readers. 

Basically its a wooden box with legs and a  standard toilet seat and a 5 gallon bucket using sawdust or straw or other organic matter as composting materials.  Full build details are in the book.  If you purchase at Amazon please use the CRVL link.

This is one thing I can afford to do now to prepare for off grid living........my lumber is free due to my "road side" shopping habits.

Various size "food grade' buckets and lids  are often given away or sold cheaply [$1.00 at my local wal mart ] at bakeries, donut shops,  cafes etc.  5 gallon pickle buckets are almost impossible to kill, I ran right over one with a pickup and just scratched it.  They come in all sizes and are very strong... I use them for dry food storage...dog food...and other things...wal mart here has rectangular  ones that don't waste floor space when stacking like round ones do.   

Don't get'um mixed up! Tongue

Happy Trails      TJB and Queenie The Wonder Dog  [ I wonder if all dogs snore?]
      I Can't Believe I Shaved My Legs For This..... Rolleyes .....Jo Dee Messina
               That's All I Have To Say About That.........Forrest Gump 
                          I'm Not Here Dodgy  You Didn't See Me     
Add Thank You Reply
Ok. If you live in a house and just go on short trips, you can bring the contents of your sawdust toilet home and compost it. If you are in the northern forests you can dig a hole and bury it.

I might have missed it, but has anyone said what to actually do with "it" when you are In towns? Cities? Desert? Non-forest areas?
Add Thank You Reply
The waste container stays very dry, the waste just becomes like clumps, it becomes hidden such as cat poop in a litter box.

There are a few options on what to do with it, One could bury the compost, start a compost pile if they aren't mobile, tho there are many places during travel that may have a compost pile. Or if so wished you could just put it in a garbage bag and put it in the trash, its not different that people who dispose of diapers(adult and child), colostomy bags, and such.
Live Free(er)
Instagram: joshsikorski
Add Thank You Reply
so it roles out of the bucket the mixture being mostly sawdust ish???, I had this image of oatmeal cookie mix that had to be ladled out then have to scrape the edges and corners with a big rinse needed.
Add Thank You Reply