Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme Winter Insulating?
(02-27-2017, 04:31 AM)Woltz Wrote: In regards to air flow, I planned on having a little hole that I will place, where the door is, on the bottom. For cold air to escape and air to enter. I also plan on making a thing to fill the hole when not in use. Like a cap.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you are going to get air flow from a single small hole.  Air cannot both enter and escape through the same hole at the same time.  And if you want NATURAL airflow, you need one hole up high and one low.  Warm, stale air (and moisture) will escape from the upper hole, and be replaced by fresh cold air coming in through the lower hole.  I understand that you're trying to hold the warm air in, but if you want to limit the expelled air to the colder air near the floor, you are going to need a powered exhaust fan, I think.  Can possibly get by with a computer fan, which shouldn't draw too much power. But with a setup like that, I don't think you will be exhausting the stale air, moisture, carbon dioxide, ect.  that's going to stay at the top.  I think.
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
dusty98 (03-05-2017)
Use the KISS principle. Good weather appropriate clothing, and comfortable sleeping pad and a high quality winter sleeping bag. If you want heat consider adding an auxiliary battery that recharges off the truck when running and possible a solar panel on the topper to help keep it charged. Run a 12V heating blanket off this to keep warm while sleeping. No worry about fuel, fumes, condensation, etc.
Add Thank You Reply
Enough pad to insulate under you , a couple of good sleeping bags doubled up , plus wearing layers of polypro and fleece will be enough down to the single digits . Add dog(s)for extra if you need it.

I have lived (and AM living) in the extreme NE corner .
In the back of a pickup a 29' class A and a 23' class C .
With the occasional snow cave thrown in just cuz I can......................
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 3 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
If this is for just the occasional stuck away from home, and not living in full time, then I'm with the others on keeping it simple. I just drove to Fargo in January. Slept 2 nights in my truck comfortably with an air temp around 0 Farenhite. I just slept in the back seat with a moving blanket under me for extra padding. And my mummy bag I take hunting that is rated for -30. Never even zipped it all the way up. And even in a large crew cab my body heat was enough to keep the inside temp reasonable enough that getting out of the bag in the morning wasn't an issue. Definitely keep a window cracked open so moisture from your breath can escape. If I need to do it again. I probably will make up some reflectex covers for the windows. But that would be about it.
Add Thank You Reply
If you're just making a CYA outfit for possible winter issues I would suggest a multi layer Army surplus sleeping bag. Warm, adjustable, and pack well. Also carry a box of hand or foot warmers. Get in the bag, toss in 3-4 warmers and your good for 8 hours.
No person is completely useless,  they can often be used as a bad example. 
Bill
Add Thank You Reply
I like to travel and spent 6 months in my truck camper last year and covered 20,000 miles. 

My coldest night was 9°F and I was perfectly comfortable 

Unless you are handicapped or gadawful lazy you should have some income. It's easy to find a pickup truck and nearly as easy to find a good truck camper.

My Bigfoot 3000 series is rated to -20° and was used by the a Canadian Mounties above the arctic circle. I've injected foam in the spots that were missing insulation and added solar panels including two that are place on the nose for winter sun angles and shedding snow. 

I won't go into a lot of detail but the key thing is you can make it better and modify it to suit you. My goals were reduced propane useage and enough power to run a TV and electric blanket. I am just as comfortable as in a home. 

I threw away my tent and rear seat and started camping (not living in) a K5 Blazer, it quickly became apparent that I needed a 3/4 ton or 1 ton next time around. I went with a 1 ton diesel and a Leer cap, planning to upgrade as I cut more money. 

Going from bare minimum--a Blazer with an ice box, futon 
 and down comforter to a Truck camper and I ask myself why didn't I do it sooner.  I was cheap. I wish I financed it and had it sooner.

Final thoughts.  Get a diesel and extra large fuel tank. Driving slow 55-60,  I get better fuel economy than most and that is unimportant except fir one thing. Good fuel economy and a large tank mean range. Once you leave the interstates it's nice not to worry about fuel.  Lastly if your camper is comfy, you won't be in a rush. Pull over when trafficking c is bad and wait it out watching pre recorded westerns on your TiVo willor sleeping. The more comfortable your camper the less of a hurry you will be. 

Good luck and I recommend Bigfoot campers
Add Thank You Reply
Good advice. We just crossed Siberia, well a year and a half ago, just editing footage so it feels like yesterday. Even in brutal cold and the wind making sidecicles off the mirrors warmth wasn't as much of an issue as condensation. One of the experts on this trip said the average adult exhales close to a liter (think a 26 and a micky) of moisture overnight, if they are correctly hydrated. That seemed like a bunch to me but he was certainly an expert in winter survival so I believe him. We used special closed vent/fan devices on the roof. I think the english name started with a V, but I can remember now. Air came in a window vent and out through those units. Never got wet. Slept in the H1 Alpha one night after an emergency and white out conditions. Three of us. Same gear as we had in the regular contained trucks but no ventilation. We were all cold in the morning and damp. Moisture is the killer.
Beast Master , Junky Monkey , Drinks With Wolves in the You Ain't Right Club. 2 stinking badges a cluster, and "THE FLYING MANURE SPREADER" 
Add Thank You Reply
(02-26-2017, 12:19 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: You would be better off planning to wrap that down blanket around you.

Yes, start by insulating yourself. You generate 98°. Trap that free always-with-you heat.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
I think he's got the right idea.

There's all types of heat exchangers, including DIY that cost about nothing. The Passivhaus standard calls for the building to be airtight- except the heat exchanger, and my understanding is buildings that meet the standard use little more than body heat and heat from appliance motors to heat the building. There's one on the middle of my state, so it's not just a fair weather thing.

Although a sleeping bag may keep you warm, they're not comfortable and you still have to face getting out of the thing and into the cold air  in the morning. I bet people in sleeping bags set bladder size and duration world records ...
Add Thank You Reply