Homeless at a crossroads of decision
(07-18-2017, 09:10 PM)Steve1950 Wrote: I have put in so many applications...... over20.... with the same "you know there's a 6 month to a year waiting list don't you?". Very disheartening. I am on the verge of just saying the heck with it and  turn the key and go. But day by day I am waiting it out till August 4th.

If it's possible, check with HUD properties in smaller, outlying cities. Many of these have Tax Credit apt. complexes that set aside 1 or 2 apts. for homeless (which you will be). It varies by locale, but if you can get one of these, for the first 2 years you pay very little rent at first. It does go up every 6 mos. but if you can get a PT job, very manageable. After 2 years, you are then up on the Sect. 8 waiting list and get a voucher. In the big cities or in 'touristy' areas (like Ft.Collins or Durango,CO) it's much harder to get a place.

Check with non-profits that may know of this type of program, and not just with the local housing authority.
Add Thank You Reply
The ones I have applied to are mostly on the outside of the city like you suggested. They are HUD assist. The rent is 30% of income. Which includes electric for most apartments. Not a bad deal really. But I am not sure that I want to live in one of these.
 I am a pretty active guy and can't see myself rotting away in them. I have to stay active. I am not sure that once I get in there that I won't just slow down and age very quickly. It's kinda scary for me. I have no problem admitting that. Plus I don't want to be totally alone, which is what will happen if I move into one of these places.
Add Thank You Reply
Well, I'm the same age as you and have been living in a HUD over-55 complex but have stayed pretty active the past 2 years though, driving a wheelchair van and volunteering at a non-profit. But after staying put for a while, I'm ready to hit the road again. I'll be heading to SD in Sept. in my old Dodge van and I'm shopping for a cargo trailer to convert. Then it will be down to NM and/or AZ and maybe the Slabs again.
Add Thank You Reply
In regards to residence requirements for SD.  I don't know.  I've moved up there twice, each time purchasing an inexpensive house.  I'll call around up there tomorrow and see what I can find out.  I'm pretty sure some members here use SD as their state of residence.

I went up in July of 1986 and bought the 1st place.  When I went back a year later I had my 1969 Ford truck, my 14 year old son and his 1st motorcycle and a flat bed trailer.  We both got DL's  & registered everything with out a problem that I can remember. We stayed 3wks.  I don't remember if we recieved the DLs before returning to TX or if they were forwarded to us

Everything was way cheaper in SD!  My house only cost $2,500, no down, no interest and $100mo.  It was closed up for 8yrs before I bought it.  Needed a new blower motor on the fuel oil furnace in the celler.  Other than that just cleaning and painting.  One year I didn't turn a  AC on until August!

Earlier this year I had planned on being there this spring, then this summer, now I hope I make it in the fall.  

Sometimes LIFE seems to be conspiring against me.

Jewellann
      I Can't Believe I Shaved My Legs For This..... Rolleyes .....Jo Dee Messina
               That's All I Have To Say About That.........Forrest Gump 
                          I'm Not Here Dodgy  You Didn't See Me     
Add Thank You Reply
Yes, TJB, South Dakota makes it pretty easy and you can do 99% by mail but some things (like Medicare QMB, hunting license,etc.) I do believe you have to be a bonafide resident of 30 days or more (like most states).
Add Thank You Reply