Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just bought a boat
Here's a story of a shipwreck, one of the survivors, Brad Cavanaugh is our neighbor at our family summer home in Plymouth, Ma. He's a very accomplished sailor and has enough stories to write several books. Great guy to sit down with and shoot the shit. He taught me the basics on the little pond our home is on in a sunfish. I've always wanted to get a larger sailboat, but it's on the master list of things to do that never seem to get done.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revie...batross-2/
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
Yay! Sailing stories. I LOVE sailing stories. If I had the money to join a yacht or sailing club with a clubhouse around here, I would do it just to be able to sit in the bar and listen to all those sea stories Smile

I have a few of my own. When I was a kid, my parents were members of a club on Belle Isle in Detroit. They used it as day care in the summer and four days a week I was dropped off there in the morning and then picked up after work by my father who worked downtown. Anyhoo, the club had formal activities for kids which mostly involved racing Flying Scotts and Flying Juniors with kids from the other clubs around the area. One of the adult leaders had something of a rivalry with the adult leader from just across the river. Somehow or another they made a bet. They guy from our club bet that guy that we could sail a Flying Scott under the Belle Isle bridge even though the mast was too tall to fit underneath. His plan? Go in heeled over on a close reach! The boat would be tipped enough to make it under. He forgot one thing though. The bridge changes the wind. So he got under the bridge and the boat lost its wind and stopped heeling over. Oops! Luckily he somehow didnt break the mast and we were able to get it unstuck by forcing the lean with lots of body weight. He was grumpy for the rest of the day because he lost the bet though. Smile

Good times. Such a different world though. We use to regularly sail over to Canada to go swimming without bothering with things like immigration and customs and such. Can't do that now!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slynne for this post:
hepcat (04-05-2017)
If I could have my dream boat it would be a Cal 39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1994 International Road Rescue Ambulance, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Baloo for this post:
slynne (04-19-2017)
(04-19-2017, 11:01 AM)Baloo Wrote: If I could have my dream boat it would be a Cal 39.

I spent a bit of time on two separate Cal 30's down in Oxnard, California. They were owned by a couple friends, sequentially serial numbered, and berthed right next to each other. What are the odds of that? Tongue
Anyway, they were both very nice, and were also the boats that helped kick start my love of sailing. We would take them out for sails around Anacapa Island on occasion.
Incidentally, they were both set up as live aboard's.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-05-2017, 05:41 PM)slynne Wrote: Yay! Sailing stories. I LOVE sailing stories. If I had the money to join a yacht or sailing club with a clubhouse around here, I would do it just to be able to sit in the bar and listen to all those sea stories Smile

I've always loved being in and around boatyards/marinas.  Just something about them.    We have a local yacht club where people with out boats can join for a reduced rate.  It gets them more traffic for the bar/restaurant, fundraisers, etc
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
slynne (04-20-2017)
(04-20-2017, 09:57 AM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote:    I've always loved being in and around boatyards/marinas.  Just something about them.    We have a local yacht club where people with out boats can join for a reduced rate.  It gets them more traffic for the bar/restaurant, fundraisers, etc

There's a working boatyard near my FL place, I ride my bike down there and watch them work on boats sometimes; I've chatted with the guys now and then, they are a nice group, always willing to explain something to me... like why they squeeze the mullet and toss them into two piles.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
slynne (04-20-2017)