Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting / Vinyl Wrapping a Van
If you're not going for show quality , on a van down by the river the work is not as demanding......
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord of the "You Ain't Right" club. Tongue

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
It would be a great plan...except....I fully expect my Mom to live a fair number of years more. I have a home health aide 5 days a week...6-8 hours a day. (Insurance rules ... must not exceed $800 per week. Agency rules...no caregiver can work longer than 1 eight hour shift in any 24 hour period). The rest of the time...it is me. Mom cannot be alone...and she has a wild panic if there is a stranger in the house and she cannot find me.

So..each day, I cannot leave before 8am roughly, and must be back by 3-4 pm...latest.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
Van-Tramp (04-23-2017)
I'v seen two DIY paint jobs using rustoleum and a foam roller. Walking by them in a parking lot you would not know they were not factory. The key factor is wind blown dust and trash in the paint.
By posting a link to a web site, I do not endorse that site nor guaranty the accuracy of the  information contained.  It is just a site that I found informative. 
2012 Chevy Express 2500(4.8L), 2002 Nissan Quest SE Minivan (3.3L 6cyl) 6x12 Cargo Trailer

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to VJG1977 for this post:
RoamingKat (04-23-2017)
(04-22-2017, 03:45 PM)VJG1977 Wrote: I'v seen two DIY paint jobs using rustoleum and a foam roller.  Walking by them in a parking lot you would not know they were not factory.  The key factor is wind blown dust and trash in the paint.

Exactly right.    Wind and dust.    Cannot predict it, cannot control it.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
(04-22-2017, 11:55 AM)Spaceman Spiff Wrote: Different people have a different idea of what constitutes an acceptable paint job.  I've not seen a 10 ft paint job put on without a lot of practice.  Orange peel, fish eye, prep, and technique are noticeable at that distance to an untrained eye.

-- Spiff

True that. The car I painted looked good at 10 feet but sure wasn't concourse quality. I masked everything very well, had a decent HVLP gun setup, and was very careful about the following:

- always begin spraying off the car and move onto the car
- never pause the gun while spraying.
- never try to touch up a spot. Wait for the next coat.
- don't ever spray a heavy coat.

I'm sure pros can break all those rules but they kept me on the straight and narrow. I wet sanded between coats and I seem to recall putting own 4 coats. I sprayed it over the old paint after sanding it to rough it up (but not to bare metal). I did it in my garage after work, maybe an hour or two per night for about a week.

I got a little orange peel but it mostly went away with wet sanding. I believe the paint I used was a good part of that -- it's yacht paint and is a one part polyurethane with a very good gloss that self-levels. It looks much better than any of the spray paints I've seen used and it also holds up very well to UV and doesn't need to be clearcoated.

(all just my subjective experience; I would totally do it again and expect even better results)
Add Thank You Reply