Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plywood, 1/4" or 1/2" ????? Newbie Needs Help!
I'm doing a simple conversion on a 2005 Chevy Uplander MiniVan with the help of my awesome son-in-law. We're getting ready to build the bed and some simple storage/shelving, similar to what Bob built in the Astro Mini-Van, (under Van Conversions in the menu) and I'm stuck on the plywood purchase! 

#1. I'm purchasing formaldehyde-free plywood that I found at a local Home Depot.

#2. My son-in-law thinks 1/4 inch is thick enough, from the van builds I've researched I haven't found one that uses 1/4 inch. 

#3. The plywood I'm looking at is PureBond Birch Plywood which only comes in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4!"

Price is a factor, I'm building on a limited budget and fixed income. The 3/4" is 50 bucks a pop.

I'm leaning toward the 1/2" for the bed and the storage cabinets/shelving. It coms in a little cheaper at 40$ for a 4x8. We did some measurements yesterday and I'll need 3.

Could use some advice on the 1/4" vs 1/2" decision.   Huh

Thanks!
Add Thank You Reply
I'd go with 1/2" for the raised sleeping platform, 1/4" might be fin for shelves, depending what you want to put on them
Add Thank You Reply
1/4" won't take a screw if trying to attach something to it, and would need support every 12" or less. It has it's uses, but 1/2" is safer bet...

Ford E450 Box Truck RV Conversion
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to BradKW for this post:
PatchTwist (04-21-2017), CoachOnTheRoad (04-21-2017)
(04-21-2017, 09:43 AM)BradKW Wrote: 1/4" won't take a screw if trying to attach something to it, and would need support every 12" or less. It has it's uses, but 1/2" is safer bet...

Good point. Thanks, I know nothing about carpentry!
Add Thank You Reply
This is 3 sheets of 1/2'' Baltic Birch ply from HD and a $30.00 Kreg pocket screw tool (Lowes)

Add Thank You Reply
Sweet, thanks! That helps! Looking at your build I think we'll have enough.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-21-2017, 09:32 AM)CoachOnTheRoad Wrote: Thanks for all the help everyone! Just ordered the 1/2" plywood and will be starting the build next Tuesday, working around my Son-in-law's work schedule.

Thanks!
Add Thank You Reply
Thats all I used on my first van. 1/2 sanded plywood and some redwood 2x2. It was strong enough for me, the G/F to sleep on. No problems.
"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."

Add Thank You Reply