Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seasonal tires whilst on the road
(04-20-2017, 02:20 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: Then you are also aware that slicks, cheater slicks, and racing tires in general also have a softer compound rubber? They also wear out faster, but give better traction on asphalt.
Another motorsports fan, and used to be mountain biker here.

Yeah, they're super soft but they're slicks so no blocks to go skewing about. Can't really compare race cars to what's on the road anyhow but compounds are compounds is all. In fact, thinking about it the point is perfectly proven by how slow and unwieldy an F1 car is when using wet tires on a dry surface. Almost as bad as slicks in the damp.
Add Thank You Reply
Proper winter tires will not last you long during summer months in the USA. You will burn through them within a matter of months over 80 degrees road temperatures. They will also be a hazard as the rubber is not meant to operate at those high temps. Very soft rubber and small blocks of rubber which move easily (that is what makes winter tires winter tires) will overheat, chunk, and slip in hot weather. The worst of all advice is to use winter tires all year around.

Unless you have a place to store those winter-only tires, your only real choices are...

1) get "all season" which does not mean they are good in all seasons, it means they are BAD in all seasons. I do not recommend this unless you plan to spend all your time n states like California (where weather really doesn't come into play)

2) Get all terrain tires which will at least do mildly OK in winter, but only slightly. The rubber is still too hard for winter and it will freeze-harden to the point you wull have no traction. But, this at least gets you a little further into winter months. Still, they will wear faster and be noisier on the roads.

3) Dont go where the winter demands winter-only tires.
Traveling since 2010 - My BlogMy Van
Travel by Van-Tramp - Van life and small RV travel guide
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Van-Tramp for this post:
Vanada (04-20-2017)
(04-20-2017, 02:32 PM)Van-Tramp Wrote: Proper winter tires will not last you long during summer months in the USA. You will burn through them within a matter of months over 80 degrees road temperatures. They will also be a hazard as the rubber is not meant to operate at those high temps. Very soft rubber and small blocks of rubber which move easily (that is what makes winter tires winter tires) will overheat, chunk, and slip in hot weather. The worst of all advice is to use winter tires all year around.
Well, this is helping push me towards changing my winter tires on my Subaru. My van has A/T's, so should be OK.
Thanks for your input.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Van-Tramp (04-20-2017)