Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bacon Van's Full Breakfast
(05-30-2017, 09:28 PM)thehellend Wrote: Also, I'm bookmarking this post for information. Can't say I understood it all, but it was definitely written in a way that I could perhaps start to figure it out.

Nice find. Smile  About your lock up converter, you should make sure that works. While not an actual overdrive, it will feel like it just shifted into one when the torque converter locks up. A lock up torque converter is meant to eliminate slippage once it does lock up at freeway cruise speeds, which will help save fuel.
 Good luck in finding where everything goes, but I will bet you can do it. What you've accomplished so far is impressive. Smile
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
thehellend (05-31-2017)
I'm an overachiever Big Grin Thanks!
I found her. I love her. The Bacon Van, my 1986 Chevy G20.
Add Thank You Reply
Ok, I got the vacuum hose connected. Turns out the trick is to swear loudly and aggressively for what feels like hours while you fumble blindly in the dark. The cable might be a tough one, as I've never repaired a cable before. :/

Going to meet Jeeps and More tomorrow to see if they can handle my van - then I'll have them look all over the carb and see if there are any connections in dire need of fixing up, also look at the tranny leak that is still happening. And the chassis squeak....
Add Thank You Reply
Update!

So I finally got the van over to Jeeps and More, they ended up not having time to look at her other than to check the tranny fluid and oil, and showed me how to actually check tranny properly. We topped her up and set off to Bonnaroo festival! She did so well! It was about 350 miles round trip, and a whole lot of stop/start queuing to get in, as well as lots of bumpy field driving, and we had zero issues. I'm dropping her off today to see about getting the full check up and starting to work through the mechanical stuff I can't figure out Smile
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to thehellend for this post:
AbuelaLoca (06-12-2017)
Woo hoo... that's two weekend trips under the belt! Congrats to The Bacon Van for coming through!!
'93 Club Wagon (Juanita) & AbuelaLoca (Belinda)

I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it. Rosalia de Castro
Add Thank You Reply
A couple of weeks have gone by, so I figured I'd update...

We went to England for a holiday, so things have been a little on the quiet side. Bacon has been sat in the barbed wire enclosure at the mechanics for two weeks, as they'd been seriously short staffed and didn't have time to work on her. I'd told them to take their time owing to the fact we'd be away anyway, so I finally got a call on Tuesday as I returned back to America through Philly immigration.

They told me they'd done the full check, and there were a few majors that needed attention. The main three areas that needed attention were the brakes, the leaks, and the suspension. No surprise there, the brakes seemed old, the leaks were already evident, and I knew the suspension was a little iffy. We decided to work on the first two things now, and come back in soon to do the suspension. These aren't going to be cheap things, but I'm going for the 'eradicate all possible issues' angle rather than the 'keep her kicking', so there's going to be expense there. It's why I married a doctor.... Wink

We are working on a timeline to have the first round of repairs done for a couple of weeks' time, when we drive off for the weekend to go to Louisville's Forecastle festival. Still looking for a place to park and camp, so if anyone reading this has a plot near downtown we can use, mucho beers coming your way!

I'm pretty sure my neighbors assume the van is gone for good and are breathing a sigh of relief.... can't wait to dash their hopes and bring her back. I miss her RAID musk!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to thehellend for this post:
CautionToTheWind (07-01-2017), AbuelaLoca (06-29-2017)
Oh my goodness... what a hoot... I hope your trip was awesome and I'm jealous of your trip to Louisville as that's one of my favorite places to visit!! What is the forecastle festival? Is that like a renfest?
'93 Club Wagon (Juanita) & AbuelaLoca (Belinda)

I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it. Rosalia de Castro
Add Thank You Reply