Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Trauma Anyone?" Thread Resurrected
One option for Veterans is put them on medicare with no copays, (Copays paid by the VA).
They can go see any doctor, not just those in the VA system.
Shut down the VA hospitals and turn them into dorms with training centers. We don't have to build anything new, it is already there.
Many of the military skills are not transferable into civilian life. Who really needs an artillery gunner?
The world is not perfect, and neither am I. Get over it already. 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DannyB1954 for this post:
Wabbit (04-30-2017)
(04-18-2017, 07:21 PM)Gunny Wrote: Medals can be purchased many places, the only medal that cannot be bought or sold is The Medal of Honor. There are 'Posers' everywhere, even guys who make fake DD214's so they can get care at the VA. 

OMG Gunny! A Navy Seal Trident on a Marine Corp uniform...hahaha!
1992 Dodge B350 Extended High-top Van
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Fluffhead for this post:
Gunny (04-20-2017)
(04-20-2017, 09:33 AM)DannyB1954 Wrote: One option for Veterans is put them on medicare with no copays, (Copays paid by the VA).
They can go see any doctor, not just those in the VA system.
Shut down the VA hospitals and turn them into dorms with training centers. We don't have to build anything new, it is already there.
Many of the military skills are not transferable into civilian life. Who really needs an artillery gunner?

I am sure that is something often discussed. I know it is a popular topic of conversation on some of the Economics boards I go to occasionally. It is a sound plan especially if we start considering expanding Medicare to all. I kind of like the idea of doing both. Keep the VA infrastructure but turn it into something available to everyone for free *and* give all veterans Medicare coverage so they can go wherever they want to. That would allow the government to increase services in areas where the market is failing to do so, such as most rural areas. The VA here in Ann Arbor is pretty amazing actually and not the inferior health care so many complain about in other areas.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-19-2017, 06:10 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote:    I've always thought instead of giving people section 8 vouchers so they can go get their own apartment, large dorms should be built and everyone gets a room with shared facilities and cafeterias to feed everyone staying there.  

Some homeless people have conditions like ptsd or various kinds of paranoia that would keep them from attending anything in a group setting. And people with borderline personality disorder and antisocial personality disorder would be there, assaulting others.  That could work for "normal" homeless person though. For the rest, individual living situations is better. - Crofter
Add Thank You Reply
(04-11-2017, 08:08 AM)IanC Wrote:  to believe in the good in people again.  So far I have run into nothing but good, generous people on my travels, so perhaps this will have the effect I was looking for.

Cool! That's really encouraging and I hope I have that experience too. Smile 
BTW, there is also a naturopathic alternative to antidepressants L-something-or-other. It builds up your brain chemicals naturally for a season wheras the chemical ones just keep pulling more out.  - Crofter
Add Thank You Reply
L~Dopa.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-DOPA

I used to believe in the goodness of man.  Then I moved to a small inbread community where the attitude was to rip everyone off for as much as you can.  

I now have a better understanding about what to look for.  (Think Boss Hogg) 

There are a lot of open honest people out there.  But then there are those that I get a feeling around.   Dodgy  If my cat does not like them ~~~
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-19-2017, 06:10 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote:    I've always thought instead of giving people section 8 vouchers so they can go get their own apartment, large dorms should be built and everyone gets a room with shared facilities and cafeterias to feed everyone staying there. 

The agency I worked for had several buildings with efficiency apartments with a staffed office.  Because of the huge number of issues (the main one being the other street people who the residents would bring into the building), there had to be a fair amount of rules, security doors with pass keys, etc.  Some of the residents who were used to living without rules resented that and moved back onto the street.  Some homeless folks avoid shelters for these reasons too.

Some years back, a tent city was set up on the grounds of a local cathedral (with permission) to protest lack of housing for the homeless.  Since our agency was the go-to for homeless issues, our director toured the camp.  A majority of the camp residents had gone through our agency, had been set up in furnished apartments, had case workers who got them into medical benefits, EBT, S.S. disability, etc., and had decided not to participate, been evicted multiple times, etc.  Our agency had one whole department (Tenancy Preservation) whose only job was to be a mediator between landlords and residents and to attend eviction proceedings.  The pool of landlords willing to rent, even with guaranteed rent payments, is getting very small.  Despite the problems, the housing that was owned by the agency had the most success since being evicted only came after a long process of trying to resolve the issue - usually for things like major theft, arson or violence.
Add Thank You Reply