Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
i will NEVER use fiberglass ins.
when i get my van i will NEVER use fiberglass ins. i learned this the hard way. what happens is is the fiberglass sheds thru abrasion with the skin of the van falls down and plugs up the weep holes retains moisture, makes perfect environment for rust worms. what I'm going to do is adheese closed cell foam to my wall covering,(probably paneling of some sort) and then screw the paneling in place, that way i won't have anything in contact with the outer skin.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to caretaker for this post:
rvpopeye (04-21-2017)
I pulled soggy pink fiberglass out of the rotted ceiling and outer walls of the RV. What a mess! I cannot prove it, but I feel that the way the pink fiberglass hold water was a major contributor to the rot. Even once I started to open it up, days went by, and it was still soaked....only complete removal allowed the walls/ceiling to start to dry out.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
I have installed my fair share of fiberglass insulation in different building projects. Couldn't imagine dealing with putting it in a van either though. What you are talking about is what I did, only I used polyiso glued to my covering in between ribs. I have a window van so mine just covers the lower part and I have reflectix cut for the windows. In the rear radius areas I used the closed cell foam. That went over bubble wrap and reflectix like the rest of it.
Add Thank You Reply
Way back when (in the old days), it was the only thing on the market.

Today, there is no need to use the pink fiberglass insulation.

I pulled no less that 12 large garbage bags of the stuff out of this van when I was dismantling the POs' mickeymouse interior.

He had stuffed it in every rib and nook and cranny, and I mean stuffed. It was packed in there so tightly that it couldn't possibly have been doing any good. I ended up using some very creative methods to remove it.

At one time I had a pair of hemostats and couple of long knitting needles and a wire coat hanger all in use to push, prod and pull the stuff to an opening where I could remove it.

Any of it that had come in contact with water was like a sponge. Absolutely wringing wet.

The funnest stuff was when it was still freezing cold in the winter. The wet fiberglass was solid blocks of ice.

And yes, RoamingKat, wet fiberglass will definitely contribute to rot. It holds the water so that the wood next to it doesn't dry out.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Lady Arabella - 2002 GMC Savana 2500, fiberglass high top DIY conversion  
Link to the building of her here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer as of November 24, 2015

Add Thank You Reply
Fiberglass Insulation is a horrible choice for vehicles and it's not even a good choice for homes anymore with all the newer & better methods out there. You can lose more than half it's R value when you compress it to fit in places it was never made to go and it holds water like a sponge. Of all the insurance claims i've done for water damage in homes, the ones that use fiberglass insulation are always the worst. The entire house turns into a sponge.

I cringe at all the RV brochures I look through and they show you portions of the build and you see a guy installing the fiberglass insulation in the ceilings and the advertising is toting "residential quality" insulation. It's not even quality residential insulation, you'd never see a home builder advertise that they use fiberglass insulation for it's superior quality.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
With all the warnings about fiberglass insulation imagine my horror when I was watching youtube videos yesterday and someone who I KNOW has been a subject of this forum several times was putting fiberglass insulation in Their van.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to closeanuf for this post:
AbuelaLoca (04-21-2017)
They use it because it's cheap. Period. Many people today have no foresight or long-range thinking abilities. They simply don't see that it's going to cost them more to eventually rip it out and replace it with something else.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-23-2017, 11:42 AM)TrainChaser Wrote: ... Many people today have no foresight or long-range thinking abilities.   ...

Sorry TrainChaser, this ain't new. The Rapanuiee, of Easter Island, The Palestinian Cypress, Bison, hell horses and mega fauna of all sorts from all over North America. etc etc etc.

Short sighted and single minded is a bad combination.
Z is for Zizzer Zazzer Zuz!  That's me!
I void warranties!
Add Thank You Reply
OK, so having adhered polyiso in between the ribs, if not the pink stuff what should I put inside or over the ribs?
Add Thank You Reply
Crow- absolutely nothing!

Think of the ribs in the van like the structural wood in a house. You insulate between the studs and then apply the finish layer - drywall in a house, usually panelling or plywood in a van.

Whatever you do, do not try to stuff pink insulation down the ribs. It took me countless hours to remove all that shit in my van when I first bought it and the previous owner was cursed each moment of that time. It is impossible to get it in there loosely and stuffing it in there tightly absolutely defeats any insulation properties it has. It's the air between the fiberglass that allows it to insulate, pack it in there tightly and it does nothing.

You will never achieve 100% insulation in a vehicle nor would you want to. Think of the houses that builders tried to make airtight that now have all kinds of ventilation and air quality problems.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Lady Arabella - 2002 GMC Savana 2500, fiberglass high top DIY conversion  
Link to the building of her here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer as of November 24, 2015

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
This world isn't home (05-16-2017)