Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message from forum staff regarding sexual assault
Well, IMO Bob has complete charge of his camp. Watch his video explaining the very simple reason. If someone invites you to their home, you should have enough humanity to respect their property. If you disagree, please don't show up with a chip on your shoulder and a bad attitude to prove your point.  I was told by a very reputable person publicly, a retired police officer that the incident was not as it was told. The guy was drinking as were many who were there. It was a "party" atmosphere with loud music and public dancing. The videos show that much. The guy was trying to get a female's attention and grabbed her leg. This is the exact reason I did not attend the van build. It will always have a bad taste now. If I thought for a minute that Bob could not maintain order by calling rangers when necessary, I would not go. However, I have complete faith that he will.  I am new to van dwelling but I have 63 years life experience and street smarts. Hope everyone can get past this and enjoy RTR.

Reinventing the "tribe" one person at a time.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gypsynurse for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017)
(11-13-2017, 10:32 PM)GypsySpirit Wrote: So, after reading/watching all this, I am still planning on attending the RTR.    

All I know is that a.  some people are stupid.   b.   some people are assholes.  c.  Most people aren't either of those.    

Mert and any other single women are welcome to circle the wagons with me.  Also, I believe Harbor Freight and Walmart both carry air horns.   Thinking one of those in the middle of the night is not only a deterrent, but would bring others running.   Any thoughts?

Air horn is a great idea, if you are camped anywhere in the main area, many people are going to hear and investigate this. Even better a scream would be noticed, its fairly quiet at night at the RTR.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Itripper for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017), mert6706 (11-14-2017)
(11-14-2017, 04:42 AM)Gypsynurse Wrote: The guy was trying to get a female's attention and grabbed her leg.

While she was sleeping in her van, which he entered uninvited after trying unsuccessfully to "get the attention" of two other uninterested females.  
Not like he walked up in a crowd and said "hey" and touched her knee.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to mayble for this post:
greendragon (11-17-2017), JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017), John61CT (11-14-2017), gramakittycat (11-14-2017), frater secessus (11-14-2017), Cammalu (11-14-2017)
I like the airhorn idea, right in the face.

Better way to "get someone's attention" than physical assault.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-13-2017, 10:32 PM)GypsySpirit Wrote: Thinking one of those in the middle of the night is not only a deterrent, but would bring others running.   Any thoughts?

Air horn would work, or the 'panic button' on you van key dongle if you have one (that will also flash your lights and keep honking to locate you).  An air horn ls also good to carry while hiking as a first line of defense against predators.
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Spaceman Spiff for this post:
mayble (11-14-2017)
I wonder... a flashlight/airhorn combo that you can aim/deploy in the intruder's face would be awesome. Between the blinding light and noise, you'll have the jerk pretty much helpless, as well as letting everyone nearby know something's wrong. Maybe even a backup charge of pepper spray... just in case.

I don't pass judgement on a case I know little about, or only have from hearsay, but I think the best remedy is to make the offender suffer the consequences of his/her bad decisions right then and there.
The Public can do what they will with 'em afterward.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to velojym for this post:
GypsySpirit (11-14-2017)
How does an air horn hurt the bad guy’s ears without hurting your own?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Van Mama Wannabe for this post:
SondraRose (11-14-2017)
arm's length, pointed away, vs right in your face

sound intensity decreases inversely proportional to the squared distance, that is, with 1/r² from the measuring point to the sound source

so that doubling of the distance deceases the sound intensity to a quarter of its initial value

Less harmful than a gun anyway
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
Van Mama Wannabe (11-14-2017)
The idea with an airhorn is to startle the attacker, making them realize others now know about the attack, and of course to alert others.

Plus, airhorns are directional to some degree.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
GypsySpirit (11-14-2017), Van Mama Wannabe (11-14-2017)
I've got a flashlight that flashes quickly and I can't even watch it for fear it will throw me into some sort of fit. Can't imagine what it will do when someone is looking at the light.

Three blows on a whistle is an international distress call.
1997 Class B Dodge van 3500.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bigsallysmom for this post:
Van Mama Wannabe (11-14-2017)