Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ham radio - I'm W8BBS
I am studying for mine, but have yet to schedule a day to take the test. I have the cheap baofeng ht. If ya'll are near the mogollon rim in az, i'll be listening in on murs 3 and going through the various repeaters, listening off course. Also, one of the guys that I will be with, is a ham operator. woot woot
as the saying goes, "freedom is not free" do the work in order to maintain and improve upon the liberty that we have.
Add Thank You Reply
The buddi poles seem like a good option for mobile amateurs. A friend of mine that was at camp this weekend brought on for listening to his shortwave radio. http://www.buddipole.com/
as the saying goes, "freedom is not free" do the work in order to maintain and improve upon the liberty that we have.
Add Thank You Reply
I am a ham, but I don't publicize my call sign. It's just too easy to look up on google and use that as a starting point for a full blown investigation.

What shreds of privacy are left I find myself clinging dearly to.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to 66788 for this post:
LeeRevell (10-22-2014)
When I get my call sign, I won't let it be known to most, only over the radio or to people I know.
Add Thank You Reply
I didn't want to start up a new thread, I did a search and came up empty.

Is anyone out there still using CB (Citizens Band) Radio?
I have a unit that's been in storage for a looooong time, so long I don't know if I still have the spec sheets and cheat sheets on the mods that were done to it. I know it was capable of going far off into the single side band arena as well as basic CB band.
Not sure if I want to bother with it or not.

Really don't have much interest in acquiring a ham license.

TC, Mike R
Box Stock 2007 Ford E-150 All Build Pics HERE
Add Thank You Reply
I still use a cb. but my buddy and I are thinking real hard about going to ham. for a cleaner, longer range signal. cb's are good while traveling in a caravan. but when you need to reach out when you are in he sticks ham is better. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
CB is good, I plan on keeping it in my comms plans. I plan on having a 3 part system; cb, hf and dual band uhf/vhf radios; mobile stations, base stations and ht radios. I currently am a dealer for inexpensive dual band ht radios and am looking to expand, one to support my family but also to serve.

I have a cb in my enclosed trailer with antenna, just no power source right now, as it's not hooked up to my truck. I do have an ht vhf/uhf handheld.

(10-22-2014, 09:33 AM)MikeRuth Wrote: I didn't want to start up a new thread, I did a search and came up empty.

Is anyone out there still using CB (Citizens Band) Radio?
I have a unit that's been in storage for a looooong time, so long I don't know if I still have the spec sheets and cheat sheets on the mods that were done to it. I know it was capable of going far off into the single side band arena as well as basic CB band.
Not sure if I want to bother with it or not.

Really don't have much interest in acquiring a ham license.

TC, Mike R
Add Thank You Reply
I have an older 40 channel CB and a pair of hand-held FRS/GMRS radios. I use the latter for hunting with my buddies. Though now our smartphones do that duty. Haven't used the CB since I left the military - it was of occasional help on long road trips. I will likely include it in my van project, just as an emergency-comm system.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
K0RKK here, Tech only and only one radio an ICOM 2720. I got interested when the language on CB got so bad I couldn't stand to have the radio on. About that time the requirement for code went away and it was time to take the test. I have a collapsible mast and a j-pole antenna that I use while camping. I have been able to reach a fellow ham over 70 miles away when I get high enough in the mountains.
Add Thank You Reply
Royce, 

I'd like to see your antenna set-up.  I've never gotten beyond the 5/8 wavelength magnet roof mount.  And as all hams know (and a few cb'ers), it's 90% antenna.

Don't feel bad just being a tech.  I met techs who had tv stations and repeaters.  Lots of band width assigned for techs, an infinite amount actually.

I haven't been on the air in years.  I really need to get my station up.  

Its better to learn to live cheap, than it is to work and save enough money so you don't have to.
Add Thank You Reply