Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ham radio - I'm W8BBS
Radio Habana, Cuba is good listening. Both en español and English. Surprisingly, better content than our mainstream media propaganda.
Add Thank You Reply
The tech license is very easy, 8 year old kids have passed the test. 

One thing every licensed ham should know is that in a life or property threatening emergency, it is legal to broadcast on any frequency at any power necessary.  So for emergency use, the tech license is all you really need.
Its better to learn to live cheap, than it is to work and save enough money so you don't have to.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to HarmonicaBruce for this post:
offroad (06-03-2015)
66788 wrote

Quote:Radio Habana, Cuba is good listening. Both en español and English. Surprisingly, better content than our mainstream media propaganda.

Interesting you mention Radio Habana, It's one of my favorites to tune into for music. (Fusion Jazz especially)

And I agree about the quality of programming one will hear on Short Wave from other parts of the world.
I guess about as close to it as we have is NPR. But once people learn that there is so much more outside the
AM & FM (bread & circuses band) LOL they will have a difficult time going back to the mind numbing top 40 and political rant radio air waves.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-02-2015, 08:08 AM)HarmonicaBruce Wrote: The tech license is very easy, 8 year old kids have passed the test. 

One thing every licensed ham should know is that in a life or property threatening emergency, it is legal to broadcast on any frequency at any power necessary.  So for emergency use, the tech license is all you really need.

Two things, an 8 year old these days is a smart whip! at 50, 60 or 70 years these tests can be more difficult but certainly attainable. 

In an emergency I don't need a license I need a contact on the other end that can help! If you can deal with operating the radio use it!
Box Stock 2007 Ford E-150 All Build Pics HERE
Add Thank You Reply
OK boys and girls. I've been an Extra Class for about 15 years now.

Get a copy of the question pool, make a list of ONLY the right answers and study them while you're sitting on the throne. Study, study, study but, ONLY the correct answers.

Take a few practice tests for both tech and general, see how you do. Study a little more and then, go take the dang test.
Add Thank You Reply
Happy to say I am licensed Ham now, just a technician for now. More of a license to learn. There is so much more to ham radio than I ever thought there was. I make it a point to sit in the ambo (my ham shack/rv dwelling) and talk on local repeaters and some simplex with my local ham buddies. Defiantly worth getting a license! If you are thinking about it, just study and take the test. One of the more rewarding things I have done in a long time.
1994 International Road Rescue Ambulance, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Baloo for this post:
HarmonicaBruce (02-29-2016)
Just got mine this week. I used hamexam.org to study. It has flashcards and practice tests.

Looking to fire up the Icom 706MKIIG and have some fun.
-Zonie
Still Workin...
Add Thank You Reply
(06-09-2015, 02:22 AM)grumpygrizzly Wrote: Get a copy of the question pool, make a list of ONLY the right answers and study them while you're sitting on the throne. Study, study, study but, ONLY the correct answers.

Take a few practice tests for both tech and general, see how you do. Study a little more and then, go take the dang test.

So, where do I get these??
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better!" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
(01-28-2016, 08:29 AM)Patrick46 Wrote: So, where do I get these??

Search the internet for ham practice test or ham question pool and several sites will pop up with the information. If you decide to go for the license try studying for the general as well. You can take both tests at one test session for the price of one ($15 I think). Might as well go straight to the general license and get the most out of it. The extra license gets into technical electronic detail and will take a bit more learning. In my opinion you should be able to pass tech and general just by studying, as someone mentioned, only the right answers to the questions. When you go to take the test the right answer will be familiar to you form the multiple choice options. I have my general and am amazed that with a simple home made wire dipole antenna I can listen and talk to stations around the world. I have taken it on the road with me and by throwing a line up in a tree and hoisting up the antenna you can have a lot of fun with it.
Vtwinkicker
Add Thank You Reply
Got 6 and a half hours and enough bandwidth?

Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply