Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob gets some publicity! This site on NPR
Bob Wells, and his website are featured in a story on NPR's "Here and Now"
no longer a member
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to light trip for this post:
meme (08-22-2017), tonyandkaren (07-30-2014)
(Moderators Note: Two threads were started at the same time on this and I merged them into one. All the posts are here, none have been changed except this note. Bob)

I am listening now on public radio. the show called "Here & Now" with an interview of Jessica Bruder by Robin Young. Here:
Add Thank You Reply
At the last moment she also mentions the RTR gathering.

I predict a rush of new members to this forum!!

"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The site's comments are priceless.
Add Thank You Reply
How about that. The NPR story is about an article in the current issue of Harpers Magazine. The author is Jess Bruder and she spent the whole RTR with us last year staying in a tent. She interviewed many of us for the article.

After the RTR she camped with us for awhile longer. It is by far the best article I've ever seen on full-timers. She focused on a friend of mine who worked at Amazon and as a campground host.

She sent me a pdf of the article and I asked her for a link to it but Harpers doesn't allow that. You can read the first three paragraphs here

2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
(07-30-2014, 12:13 PM)gsfish Wrote: I predict a rush of new members to this forum!!

I've noticed a huge gain in membership just over this past year!!

(guess our 'little' secret is out!!!) Tongue

oh, and congrats to Mr. Bob!!! How cool is that!! Cool
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better!" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The story underscores just how many people are trying to figure things out in this economy. The website was running slow after the story aired, my guess is Bob will see a spike in web traffic.

I take comfort in the fact that what ever happens in the future, there's a lot of us in it together; we'll figure it out.
no longer a member
Add Thank You Reply
Light trip Thanks for the link. Good listening!!!
Add Thank You Reply
I didn't watch the PBS show. But judging from what people are saying on Facebook, the blogs and other forums it was pretty one sided. Ms. Bruder chose to focus on a different kind of retirement that's been forced on our/my generation due to the economy. Instead of snowbirds, she referred to us as migrant workers .That seemed to have a negative connotation.

Here's an article from Harpers with a video from a news show called The Cycle. We're breaking their hearts (the video, for those of us watching our data limits, is about 6 minutes)

And a blog post that sums up what I am reading elsewhere.
I'd like to give myself a few negative ratings, because I am such a big meanie. The forum won't allow it. Feel free!

Cyndi (made it across the cattle guard)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~ Adam Savage
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to cyndi for this post:
CMan (05-10-2016), Sameer (07-31-2014)
Hello, I'm one of those newbies who heard the article on Public Radio.
I've looked into this lifestyle before and the article helped gel the idea of chucking it all and living on the road.
Some mistakes are just too much fun to only do once!
Add Thank You Reply