Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How do we ACTUALLY make money!?
Sad 
We are new van-dwellers living out of a Chevy 1992 conversion van plus. Every search I try for "how to make money on the road" it turns up answers like, "become a writer, sell your photos, make a blog". Now, while I know these may be possibilities for some, I need something more realistic. As far as I know, MOST people can't make money doing those things when it's their passion and they live in a stick house. I guess we are just getting discouraged because this is supposed to be a way to see America when instead we are panhandling. I would like to know what people actually do for money WHILE TRAVELING, without planting in a spot for a few months getting a regular job. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you!
Hi MontanaNico! Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

There are a few previous threads on the forums with regard to this subject
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/show...?tid=10235
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/show...?tid=10253
I'm sure there are more. Those are the most recent.

In this forum
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/foru...=13&page=3
there are many individual threads pertaining to working on the road.

And of course, there are our good friends Technomadia, who have an ongoing video series about what different nomads do to earn money while full-timing.
http://www.technomadia.com/ramblings/
Technomadia is a great resource for all things concerning a mobile lifestyle
I'd like to give myself a few negative ratings, because I am such a big meanie. The forum won't allow it. Feel free!

Cyndi (made it across the cattle guard)
http://rvlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~ Adam Savage
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to cyndi for this post:
angeli (05-29-2016)
Most people don't , buy and sell would be my first choice. Welcome
Add Thank You Reply
Invest wisely and retire early. or as soon as possible.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Zil for this post:
pnolans (11-22-2017), gcal (07-22-2016), Every Road Leads Home (05-28-2016)
get a bucket, some cheap dishsoap at the dollar store, some rags and a squeegee. Go door to door and ask it you can wash outside windows for a few bucks each.

Most folks rarely wash the outside of their windows, and are glad to have someone else do it for a few bucks.

Good work, done with a smile, will get you even more work.
Be open to offers of cleaning yards, cleaning out rain gutters, and garages too.
(ca$h only...don't let 'em give you their old junk. You don't need it living in a van, and it'll just clog up your living space.)
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better!" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Patrick46 for this post:
free2enjoy (12-17-2017)

.jpg   Bear sign.jpg (Size: 24.43 KB / Downloads: 542)    
.jpg   dT1h.jpg (Size: 6.08 KB / Downloads: 542)     think up a mini business that is going to work......I sell wood signs at RV rallys & campgrounds with an occasional fleamarket thrown in!!

pays better than any day job I've ever had and make my money in 2 days
Live ,Breath , Relax.....life is a one time eventRolleyes
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Lucky mike for this post:
free2enjoy (12-17-2017), This world isn't home (11-26-2017), SaltySeaWitch (04-02-2016)
hi Lucky Mike. I make something similar but no where near as elaborate as your's. That is inspiring, seeing some of your work. Do you have a web site? I would shore like to pick your brain a little.
Add Thank You Reply
I travel around working as a dealer at poker tournaments. The most I spend in one place is 7 weeks for the world series - most others are around 10 days. I have a thread around here somewhere if you want more details.
Add Thank You Reply
I think most folks have some kind of pension or at least social security. The rest are working and stealth camping. They only need but so many campground hosts and such. Personally I've been trying to figure out how people can work over the internet. Everything I look into seems to be a scam or pyramid scheme of some sort. I think the idea behind this site is to work to live instead of living to work. So work 6 month going stealth and travel 6 months....repeat....I know it must be easier said then done. I'm holding on to my main gig for as long as I can stand it. Healthcare is an issue for those of us that are to young for medicare.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MattK for this post:
This world isn't home (11-26-2017)
Could go the amazon route...work there for a bit then live off proceeds. Also there are workcamping jobs out there...some even posted right to this forum. Of course they do have you in one spot a while.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 Ways to Make Extra Money: #18 Seems Doable Gypsy Peripatetique 1 374 11-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Last Post: DeWALT12
  How to make money on website F350Girl 10 1,744 11-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: tx2sturgis
  50 Ways to Make Extra Money Vanholio 7 1,951 09-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Last Post: KASibson