Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How do we ACTUALLY make money!?
(05-28-2016, 09:53 PM)debit.servus Wrote: It is a good idea to not get carried away with saving and investing, as the "sacrifice today for tomorrow" extreme is like how many conventional house dwellers spend the best years of their life saving for "retirement" . Strike a balance. Don't spend every cent as soon as you get it and don't scrimp and scrounge when you can afford not to.

There are a lot more people that spent "the best years of their life" not saving for retirement and wished they had.  There are numerous large national studies and surveys done and the number one thing older people wished they had done differently was saved when the were younger.  I think you will find few people that regretted saving too much money.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-29-2016, 12:55 AM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: There are a lot more people that spent "the best years of their life" not saving for retirement and wished they had.  There are numerous large national studies and surveys done and the number one thing older people wished they had done differently was saved when the were younger.  I think you will find few people that regretted saving too much money.

A lot of people treat it and see saving for "retirement" as an all-or-nothing proposition, and a toggle switch with "Live for Today" as setting 1 and "Live for Tomorrow" as setting 2; with no "setting 1.1, 1.2, 1.3...1.7,1.8,1.9" in between. I would say my setting is near "1.3". Many people have this deprivation idea that if they take that first long vacation they'll want more, which means they'll have no money to save for "retirement".

With the long term investments tied to a doomed economic system, I should find one of those compounding interest savings funds and wager in it; as if this doomed system runs for 5 more years (which I doubt, the Ponzi scheme has already collapsed and is on life support) I will have something. I am NOT going to get on the moving sidewalk to the slaughterhouse, stacking physical silver instead.

As for actually making money; if you're young and/or able-bodied, one gig/job that is better than working for MCDONALDs is being a pedicab operator in a big city. There is a lot of potential money to pull from pedaling people in and around a downtown core, depending on ones endurance, the crowd, and the amount of rides one gives. It does require one to stay in one place for a while, however there is potential to pull a sizable sum of money in a relatively short period of time. This is a very flexible gig/job for those who can handle it.

The thing with internet-based work is one is competing with the entire internet connected world. There is always somebody willing to undercut, that is what the technocrats don't see. There is no "automatic revenue system", or "do-nothing to make $633 per day"; anybody who claims otherwise is a scammer. If it sounds too good to be true it most likely is!

There are things that can be done over the internet like day-trading stocks, cryptocurrency mining & trading, but don't make the rent dependent on that income stream. Also, the proven and legitimate internet-based work that is previously mentioned; selling on ebay to name one.

If you don't mind being unscrupulous, you can "play" High Yield Investment Programs (HYIPs) using HYIPs monitors and strategy to pull "profits". If you try playing HYIPs, don't "invest" any money you can't afford to lose, no matter how promising the HYIP is. In the same internet realm as HYIPs are money games dubbed "matrix cycler" and "revenue sharing" which you can "play" at a chance of "profit". This unscrupulous internet-based potential-money stream should be treated like gambling, only wager what you can afford to lose, and don't have the rent dependent on the "profit" from these money games.
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Time saved is Time Banked* & value added.  *in quality of life context.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to debit.servus for this post:
free2enjoy (12-17-2017)
I did the 'save and retire young' thing. If you start early and save consistently there's no feeling of deprivation and a frugal lifestyle is more like living. No one needs 200 cable channels and expensive coffee handed to them daily - collecting eggs, digging up carrots and a cup of freshly brewed coffee go a lot further towards making my life feel complete. I've also done work over the internet after losing my "real" job in 2012. Three straight years of contracting and no scams involved.

Now that the house has sold I'll be using those funds to live on until retirement age when I can access the tax advantaged monies. I also plan to work a bit while traveling just for the fun of trying new jobs. Smile No pressure. No need to pile up cash. Just a few bucks for ice cream now and again.

I certainly could have saved more and stopped working even earlier but then I wouldn't have been able to take all those backpacking trips to Europe.

It's all about balance.
Add Thank You Reply
You can always make more money, you can never make more time.

My father worked at a job he didn't really like all his life and then retired at 60 never having to think about money again--I mean well-off!!

He was dead at 62.

In his whole life all he ever enjoyed was his vacations. Yes, he always had hobbies and did things--as his LORD and master, his JOB, allowed it.

Seeing the tragedy of his life set me on a course I've never regretted!!
Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 7 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
free2enjoy (12-17-2017), geogentry (12-17-2017), This world isn't home (11-26-2017), storm6398 (06-06-2016), ascii_man (06-05-2016), BlueWeezle (06-02-2016), Cheli (06-01-2016)
(05-28-2016, 07:46 PM)Paisley777 Wrote: I know this is an older post, but do you still do this?   What do you do in "road industrial construction/maintenance?"

Thanks

I'm not able to travel now but when I did I was able to work in several crafts at journeyman level, electrician, pipe fitter, instrument tubing fitter and instrumentation tech. It is desirable to be able to do more than one trade. I once heard an old timer tell an interviewer that he could "weld for two fitters or fit for two welders". HA! A big job will have positions for everything from labor, to office, safety (Ssss), first aid, tool management, and equipment operators in addition to the crafts.

These projects were either new construction, reconfiguration of existing equipment or maintenance. Sometimes, when the site is isolated, room and board in a 'mancamp' (personcamp?) is provided. I have been on jobs with as few as 2 up to one with 4,500 employees and as few as 1 contractor to a maximum of 65 contractors on one job.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
(05-29-2016, 09:31 PM)akrvbob Wrote: My father worked at a job he didn't really like all his life and then retired at 60 never having to think about money again--I mean well-off!!

He was dead at 62.

Seeing the tragedy of his life set me on a course I've never regretted!!  
Bob

THIS is why I'm doing this!!!!
~ Cheli ~

Looking forward to becoming a nomad and living free.

www.runningawayfromhome.com
Add Thank You Reply
Sugarbeet harvest in Idaho starts Sept 15. By that time I'll have a nice van and cargo trailer. I plan to to live in that van for the 5 month duration. They offerd me a bounus if I stay the entire 5 months. This is a driving position. The boss told me he needs 30 drivers based near Twin Falls Idaho.

They pay is by the load, so no overtime if you work more than 40 hrs a week. Its how the trucking business works. I spoke with a few drivers who did the 5 months, and they claim to have averaged $15 an hour. Gross pay for 5 months is $25-30k. If you have a cdl and can sit in a heated cab 12 hrs a day, then look into beat hauling.

Idaho winter months are brutal come late December. You will need an insulated van. Plan B would to get a cheap motel room in Twin Falls for $600 a month. It will cut into ur saving, but at least you will be nice a toasty when its -18 below outside. Your results may vary. I do plan to document my adventure. Come spring I'll flee to Cresent City Ca, and watch the waves roll in.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
That's a pretty cool gig
Myself, I just rob liquor stores
JUST KIDDING! I have a manual labor type job that I of course, hate
Add Thank You Reply
Didnt read the tread title, so my above responce should be disregarded.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
My father retired at 65 and was dead at 67
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 Ways to Make Extra Money: #18 Seems Doable Gypsy Peripatetique 1 374 11-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Last Post: DeWALT12
  How to make money on website F350Girl 10 1,743 11-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: tx2sturgis
  50 Ways to Make Extra Money Vanholio 7 1,951 09-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Last Post: KASibson