Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Van Dimensions Sticky
Need to know the year/generation of the GM" and "Ford" vans depicted.  Each generation has different measurements.  Also different wheelbases - short for the early generations, 'standard' and extended for the later generations - BIG differences.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-21-2014, 12:47 AM)One Awesome Inch Wrote: Did a bunch of measurements on my van tonite. I cannot claim they are 100% accurate but they are close-ish.

1999 Ford E150

All measurements in inches.

Floor to roof by Slide door ... 51
Slide door from wheel well to handle...56
Slide door "ditch"... 44L X 7.5W
Wheel well hump... 33 long X 9.5 high  X 10 deep
Between wheel well and rear wall... 17
Top of roof to bottom of rib... 1.25
Rear door to front of slide door handle... 110
Width across van from just in front of wheel well to just in front of opposite wheel well... 71

My 2007 Stock standard length E-150 matches those.
Box Stock 2007 Ford E-150 All Build Pics HERE
Add Thank You Reply
(01-21-2015, 09:04 PM)GrantRobertson Wrote: These are awesome! Where did you find these?

Had to find them again. I had downloaded those because I was interested in those models.

Fit guides at American Van
http://www.americanvan.com/interior-fit-drawings/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Thaiger for this post:
Turtlelady (05-13-2017), KristinaKarina (12-27-2015), Wabbit (01-28-2015), GrantRobertson (01-26-2015)
(01-21-2015, 08:58 PM)Thaiger Wrote: Dimensions of a few vans attached

Thanks for those elegantly simple diagrams!
The road goes ever onward.
Add Thank You Reply
Model: Ram Promaster City
Configuration: Tradesman SLT
Year: 2015
Engine: 2.4-Liter Inline 4
Power: Torque 174 ft-lbs. @ 3800 rpm; Horsepower 178 hp @ 6400 rpm
Mileage: 21/29 mpg
Floor-to-Ceiling Height: 52"
Back of Driver's Seat to Back Door: 87"
Rear Side Door Openings: 26"
Width of Back Door Opening: 28"

The 2015 Promaster City is a third-generation Fiat Dobló with beefed-up suspension. You won't find many conversion examples for the Promaster City, as it was just introduced to the US this year, but there are plenty of Dobló conversions to find in your Google search.

Attached are some stats and diagrams by Dodge and Weather Guard. Also attached are rough sketches of the cabinetry and roof solar system for my conversion, but the fine details are being worked out as my buddy, James, and I execute the project, which is under way. We'll have detailed plans drawn up at a later date.

As you can see, I'm converting this minivan to live "out of" rather than "in" – It's less cabin- or house-like and more of a bed with storage beside, underneath and behind. The bed is actually a 10", twin-size memory foam mattress on an IKEA slatted bed base. It's basically the bedding I already have set in a new frame, so I know it's comfortable! But getting a standard-size bed – even a twin – in this little van is a challenge!

Opening the back doors reveals a kitchen and grooming area I call "the chuck" after the chuck boxes we had in Boy Scouts. When camped, the van rear and left side will be covered by a Rhino Foxwing awning.

We just started on the actual, physical conversion last week by installing the vent fans and covers. I hope to be on the road by end of June 2015. Maybe I'll see some of you on the road – and definitely at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MilkweedMemoir.com — 46+ national parks, crisscrossing America, shared via poetic snapshots
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Binxie for this post:
RVTravel (09-11-2015)
(05-31-2015, 09:26 PM)Binxie Wrote: [b]Model: Ram Promaster City
Configuration: Tradesman SLT
Year: 2015

More attachments ...

MilkweedMemoir.com — 46+ national parks, crisscrossing America, shared via poetic snapshots
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Binxie for this post:
RVTravel (09-11-2015), Oberneldon (06-01-2015)
Thanks for the great images. That Ram Promaster City is going to turn out to be nice.
Add Thank You Reply
Hi all,
Mine's a 2010 Ford E-350, 5.4L V8. Best mileage so far around 15mpg, but averaging (around town, not on the road yet) about 13.6. 10 feet from rear doors to the back of the front seats. Bed across the back, built high for lots of storage underneath, window to window measurement is 70.5 inches; mattress is 43" X 70" (I'm 5'7", so that works fine for length. Inside height average is 53".
The road goes ever onward.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-31-2015, 09:27 PM)Binxie Wrote: More attachments ...

Curious what the brand/model is of the "awning" shown in the last image.
Add Thank You Reply
Ford full size Transit...

The LWB-E HR is our current top pick for Van V2.0 with about 14ft of floor space behind the seats.
We will be putting our current AWD van conversion up for sale at some point as we just need a wee bit more room now that we sold our tiny 15ft fiberglass trailer we were towing behind the van.

: ) Thom

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to accrete for this post:
MarthaMeanders (08-06-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vans wider than 6 feet ? split from Van Dimensions Sticky Vagabound 2 1,204 08-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Last Post: accrete