Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowflake photography
Thank you so very much for sharing. I've excitedly shown these to everybody I can think of because they are just so beautiful and marvelous. It's not very often you can see individual snowflakes like that. Or maybe it is and I just wasn't aware of it. I am just so delighted you brought it to my attention.

I know someone who does digital photography (not the same as you) but I have seen them do the editing it takes to make a photo look clean. It seems that it takes so much longer than the actual shots. Also, with digital you can take so many shots so quickly, it seems like it's a lot of time and takes an eye to pick out the 'just right' shot when they are so very close to each other in composition. Thanks for taking the time to make these beautiful photographs.

GypsyChic
Add Thank You Reply
Thank you
Add Thank You Reply
Nice work, haven't had much luck with this myself here in Florida.

Earlier this year at a garage sale I picked up a reprint of "Snow Crystals" by Wilson Bentley, a pioneer in this field of photography.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Bentley

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
Great job jimindenver. I was a professional photographer, chief photographer for a publishing company. I've done plenty of macro photography, on everything from 35mm to large format 4x5. Unless you've done it; I don't think most realize how frustrating it can be. I've had people ruin photos just by walking by my setup on the same floor.

Very nice!
no longer a member
Add Thank You Reply
I heard someone on the radio (NPR) talking about capturing snowflake patterns by covering a piece of glass with hair spray, letting it dry and letting the crystals fall on it. After the ice evaporates there is an impression of the flake. Here is a Google search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=snow+fla...hair+spray

Way back in the late 60's I worked all summer to get a Minolta SLR. Someone showed me the trick of turning the lens around and using it for a makeshift macro. It did work after a fashion. Later I got a bellows macro attachment, what an awkward thing that was.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
Thank you light trip. That means lot coming from someone that was in the biz. I do work from time to time on request but it sucks the life out the hobby aspect. The same was true for entering contest,and selling prints. In the end I just want to shoot. I did host the Weekly close up on the Oly forum of DPreview for 5 years but that became tedious as often there is little for me to shoot. I do understand getting the shot ruined. I had to start setting a mirror up delay so that I could get away from the camera. I was shivering so bad that even on concrete it was shaking the camera.

Guy, thank you too. I have seen Bentlys work, impressive especially for when it was done. When I did my how too on DP review, another did one using a reversed lens set up. he did pretty good too. A few weeks ago someone put a macro attachment on their smart phone and sent a bunch of snowflake images to the news here, they went gaga over them. So you don't have to have the latest and greatest gear, just the desire to do it. I actually prefer seeing the unique solutions because anyone with cash can just buy gear.

Speaking of gear, after doing it for so long you can imagine I have a few pieces. I've used close up filters, extension tubes, bellows, macro lenses, regular lenses and even one dedicated super macro. That's a rare Olympus 20mm f 2 that can do 16x life. What a lens and what a pain to use, it really has no equal though. I also create my own flash solutions as I find what is available to be too bulky.

This is one of my bug photos. I shoot free hand or with a tripod and they are always alive. I had to get within a inch of this gal.

[Image: P72268021-1.jpg]

I also developed a technique for shooting flying insects.

[Image: P7242527-1.jpg~original]

Thanks for looking

I meant to say I shoot free hand or use a mono pod. Tripods are to restrictive to shoot moving insects with.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-21-2014, 10:12 AM)Luisafernandes Wrote: Very nice! And no two are alike, ever, I know, I checked

All of them? HuhHuhTongue

My favorite view of snow. A picture.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
again very cool. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The first bug photo is as good as any pro-shooter. Many photographers like to use long lenses to shoot insects so not to scare them off, so even more impressive you are so close. You must be a very patient person and photographer.

Yes, working as a photographer is still work. I always wanted to be a photographer, so although it was work, it was work I liked to do. Many, many people wanted to go on some of my shoots but had no idea what they would be getting themselves in for if they could go. Just to shoot the Dallas Cowboys was a 10 to 12 hour day. It may sound like fun, but when you're among the last leave (Texas stadium – back then) and wondering if you have something on you memory card good enough to compete with the other shooters, you start to sweat bullets. Then your publication calls because your up against deadline. Yup, it's work, but good work.

However, if any of you would to try your hand at publication – there's a book for that. It's called the Photographers Market Guide. This book is hundreds of pages of people and companies that want to buy photography. The book provides contact names, publications (magazines, greeting card companies, trade publications an so on), even phone number, prices and what Rights they want. I can also tell you firsthand that some will also want to steal your photography, but that's just part of it. The only way your photography won't be stolen is to never show it to anyone. I got two magazine covers out of this book when I was getting started. That really helped when I started looking for a shooter job.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/2014-Photographers...1440329427

This is work too,,, a lot of work. For a little money.

The bug really is very good, you can make any pro-shooter jealous.
no longer a member
Add Thank You Reply
Thank you both. I'm blushing.

Light
Thank you for the link. I'm considering doing something with the NEW snowflake photos I shoot this year. I already know most of the stuff I have on line has been ummm used in one way or another. I use to be able to track them and they showed up all over the web. Most of them were used in various photography forums and I know they are farmed for images. The wildlife, floral and landscapes were just to participate. Hosting the macro thread I felt I should set an example and push my gear and myself as far as possible. I also only used Olympus gear so that anyone the looked at my work could buy the same lens and do it themselves. (otherwise I would love to have a canon mp-e65) I also taught my techniques including how to shoot the flakes, there were even a few field trips.

Getting close is the challenge that makes it worth while. My motto is up close and personal, my moniker is the bug whisperer. I also believe that proximity is a factor of detail. so just like a bird shot up close with a short lens better than the long lens, I got a lot more detail using a 35mm macro than a 150mm even though they both offered 1-1. Long lenses are nice for the flyers though.

I'm glad you got to do what you enjoyed for work. I have come close and then I'll take on a wedding or have to deal with a screaming kid as I'm shooting and think "this is what you want to do" lol

Thank you again for the kindness.
Add Thank You Reply