Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CO Detectors
I would NOT bet my life on a $10 O detector.
Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-25-2014, 10:11 PM)mockturtle Wrote: Mine was installed on the wall of my RV about a foot from the ceiling. I only have one room.
My home is an Astro van so I'm the same, one small room. I have a ceiling vent fan that I have on every night so I don't want to put the detector close to it, that may give it a false negative...
Andrew
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin (attrib.)
[Image: RVNsvc1966.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
I'd go with the Kiddie of those three but then again I can't use any of them you listed, In my case I must spend a minimum of $50.00 so I can have one with a strobe light. I'm hearing impaired and the alarms don't do anything for me.
If you are interested in one with a strobe the BRK is a good unit.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-BRK-Br...B001U0ONAW
Box Stock 2007 Ford E-150 All Build Pics HERE
Add Thank You Reply
I don't think price can be used as a selection criteria for CO detectors since I've seen the same detector selling for ~$10 from one vendor and over $30 from another vendor. The phrase "reassuringly expensive" comes to mind...

(12-25-2014, 10:51 PM)MikeRuth Wrote: I'd go with the Kiddie of those three but then again I can't use any of them you listed, In my case I must spend a minimum of $50.00 so I can have one with a strobe light. I'm hearing impaired and the alarms don't do anything for me.
If you are interested in one with a strobe the BRK is a good unit.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-BRK-Br...B001U0ONAW
I will probably go with the Kidde detector, as long as my hearing doesn't get too bad...
Andrew
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin (attrib.)
[Image: RVNsvc1966.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
If there is a debate on where to put the CO detector I'd do two things:

1. Call your local fire dept and ask them. They are (or should be) experts.

2. Spend the money and buy two good ones place one high-ish and one low-ish. Thus, you are definitely covered.
My youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgC2to...7jVUaY9mzg
Featuring various aspects of living in a van.
Add Thank You Reply
The place to mount your CO detector is as close as you can to the height your head is when you are sleeping.
There are CO detectors certified for RV use. They are not that expensive. If you can afford $10 you can afford $20.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to ccbreder for this post:
Kathleen (12-08-2017), akrvbob (12-26-2014)
I'm not gonna say don't call the fire department but don't expect a clear answer. They can't really tell you anything more than follow the manufactures directions as otherwise they would become liable. Personally I'd go with what ever the manufacture states. They have done the testing etc.
Box Stock 2007 Ford E-150 All Build Pics HERE
Add Thank You Reply
Actually, that is a great point. I just kinda figured if there is any public authority that should know about these things if would be the fire dept. Another possibility is to call your local poison control centre.
My youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgC2to...7jVUaY9mzg
Featuring various aspects of living in a van.
Add Thank You Reply
I have a 6 foot ceiling and mine is at 4 feet just over my head. The debate mainly applies to houses where you can have very high ceilings, do any of you have high ceilings in your vans or RVs?

It's a few feet difference, put it about in the middle.
Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
Kathleen (12-08-2017), lvalentine2010 (03-13-2015)
I saw it on the internet so it must be true. ha ha. most guberment employees will not give a straight answer. they are afraid of the liability. if you ask for it in writing you will even get more bs. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply