Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CO Detectors
RV CO detectors are cheap.
http://store.qginc.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Amazon sells that cheap detector and it gets terrible reviews, I wouldn't bet my life on it:

http://www.amazon.com/COSTAR-906002704-C...000FGECW6/

Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
highdesertranger (12-27-2014)
(12-27-2014, 05:36 PM)akrvbob Wrote: Amazon sells that cheap detector and it gets terrible reviews, I wouldn't bet my life on it:

http://www.amazon.com/COSTAR-906002704-C...000FGECW6/

Bob
Reading the reviews it doesn't sound too good...
I'm leaning toward the Kidde, at least it is a well known name brand... whatever that's worth nowadays...
Andrew
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin (attrib.)
[Image: RVNsvc1966.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
A few things I've found out about CO detectors:
1. All CO detectors have a limited lifespan, when first introduced they were a year or two, now they're usually about 5-6 years, possibly a bit more.
2. A detector with a digital readout can tell you how much CO is in the air even though it's below the detector's alarm point -- sounds like something worth knowing.
3. Putting one in a van or rv means that the mounting location is not going to meet the usual recommendations, at least not in my Astro (read small).
Andrew
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin (attrib.)
Add Thank You Reply
Does kidde make a rv unit? 3 and a half stars is not a bad review on amazon.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-28-2014, 12:06 PM)ccbreder Wrote: Does kidde make a rv unit? 3 and a half stars is not a bad review on amazon.
Not that I'm aware of, but I will monitor it closely and report on its performance...
Andrew
Add Thank You Reply
They have a lower operating temperature and humidity limits. Parked in the sun could kill them.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-28-2014, 12:37 PM)ccbreder Wrote: They have a lower operating temperature and humidity limits. Parked in the sun could kill them.

Not to mention the fact that vehicles can shake things up quite a bit, depending on the road. A CO detector designed for a house may not hold up to that, could maybe fail without it being obvious that it's no longer working.

Regards
John
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-28-2014, 12:37 PM)ccbreder Wrote: They have a lower operating temperature and humidity limits. Parked in the sun could kill them.
I thought of stuff like that and decided to take a chance. Since the one I am getting has the lcd display it will be very apparent if it stops working, as long as I occasionally look at it that is...
Andrew
Add Thank You Reply
Mine is a Safe T Alert specifically for RVs.
 [Image: Updated%20sig%20pic.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to mockturtle for this post:
Kathleen (12-08-2017)