Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening...

If you grow lima beans and corn in the same container you can have succotash...........

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"If a man does not keep pace with his companion, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry Thoreau

Add Thank You Reply
>Ooh! I wonder if we'd have room for that. Since it provides its own light, it can go anywhere! I should try... or try a diy version. ^.^ </div>
Add Thank You Reply
! Aunt Meg, you sure stuffed a lot of great info in that post! I'm so excited to try those things! Especially the ACV. We always have our supply of ACV here. and it works really well as our staple tonic. I'll have to talk to my mother about trying our hand at making some... that would be a considerable help on our budget, methinks. I didn't know how good it was for animals! My brother is considering becoming a goat farmer, I'll have to give him that info. I'm definitely saving your response for reference. THANK YOU!
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks for starting this thread. This is something I've touched on here and there, but have wondered about myself. I have plans to repeat what the cattle drive cooks did and see how it works out. Looking forward to hear how your efforts go since it sounds like you'll be doing this before me.

Steve

Add Thank You Reply
If you haven't seen this before, it can give you some ideas.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingRain for this post:
Gardenias (06-17-2017)
I have some herbs in a pot that go with me on the road. When we stop, even for just a couple of hours, I take them out and set them in the sun. They are in small enough pots for me to handle and seem to be doing very well. I plan to add a few more things this spring, like spinach, chives and purslane. If you have the room to stash them somewhere while driving, I don't see why they wouldn't do well, provided you give them the water and nourishment they need and always try to give them sunlight whenever possible. I don't know if full sun veggies (like tomatoes) will get enough sunlight traveling but many things will do fine with less. If you have room in the back of an open pick up then why not have a garden growing there, sheltered from the wind, of course.

I have also considered putting one on top of the camper, provided it could be secured, away from the wind while traveling and supported from underneath. It would get all the sun it needed going down the road and parked, if you put the camper in the sun or remove the pots to a sunny spot while camping. 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Sheryl for this post:
Gardenias (06-17-2017)
I was wondering how tomatoes and cukes would do vandwelling.   Considering most vandwellers who boondock only move about every 2 weeks and usually just for a day or 2, if you could find temporary room where they wouldn't get juggled around too much, I was wondering why it wouldn't work.  What do you think Sheryl?

Rae
Add Thank You Reply
I used to garden in the Scotty, and perch the pots outside.  Tomatoes, peppers, etc need 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight to really do well.  They don't do well with constant vibration, but don't mind a few hours of moving around here and there.  I wouldn't do that to them more often than once a week for a short period, or once every two weeks for a bit longer, just IMO.  

There are tiny veggies that can be really easy to move around.  Everyone knows about cherry tomatoes, but there are also tiny eggplants, tiny melons (fist sized), tiny mild cukes that are not gherkins, tiny bell peppers, REALLY tiny carrots.  The tomatoes, melons, cukes, peppers, etc can be trained to grow up a small trellis in a pot, and the radishes and baby carrots don't take up much room in a flat.

Greens don't need near as many hours of sun, although they do need some.  Yes, there are tiny cabbages.

A really great garden for a mobile dweller who has to move a lot is a sprout / baby leaf greens garden.  You don't need much direct sun, although the more you can give the baby greens once they are past sprouts stage, the more chlorophyl and the better for you nutritionally.  Sprouts don't take up much room either and can be grown in a sprouter that has several levels, or my preference, in a muslin sprout bag that can be dipped and then hung up over a bucket or container to drip.  If you whip up four bags, one a day for four days, then you'll have sprouts every day, and just refill after you finish a bag.  This is so healthy, that I think it should be something that every long term vandweller thinks about, getting good nutrition on the road.  Again, just MO.

My favorite seed folks for tiny veggies and fruits are Seed Savers, and Baker Creek  andBountiful Gardens

Just FYI, on the roof is not a great idea for an RV.  Their roofs are notoriously leak happy, and even a small bed of plants has lots of weight when it is wet.  Better to stick with pots and moving around, and save the roof for a rainy day.  Hmmm, not sure about vans and ladder racks, but it would not help stealth for sure!  LOL!

Happy new year!  Or Whatevah!
M.
'95 Dodge B2500 shorty named Josephine
Working for two furry little slave drivers
Full time previously for several years and full time once again in Nov 2016
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to angeli for this post:
Gardenias (06-17-2017)
Angeli is pretty much on the money when it comes to gardening and mobility.

If you can find an out of the way nook somewhere where you can have a garden, I would do that. See if someone has a community garden in the area.

Hydroponics is a type of system you could look into in the RV, but the lighting requirements for growing indoors might make it difficult to sleep. You'd have to choose a system that wouldn't really be affected by movement, so probably an enclosed system to restrict the nutrients from spilling on the floor.
You could also use dirt, the plants would grow slower and again you would need additional lighting.
Otherwise, I'd recommend something like the Aerogarden for indoor growing. The main issue is spillage.

I played the idea of using an old roof box as a planter, as long as you could find a transparent cover for it. Leaving dirt or nutrients (hydroponics) in it all the time would be too heavy, but some kind of spray or drip system would work.

yesican - during the early stages, its possible for the cukes or tomatoes to fall off from vibration. Cukes spend most of the time against the ground, so not really moving. Tomatoes only have to fight light wind.

WanderingRain - Check out: http://www.windowfarms.org. Click the community section and build your own. I've been a part of the site for awhile now.
Add Thank You Reply
I've thought about this, but figured that guerrilla gardening among site members might work out better. Sure you can grow some stuff safely and they'll even survive those quick bunny hop trips from one place to another, but what happens when you have to make that one long trip? You could potentially lose your crops in that trip. Having said that. I don't have any experience with mobile gardening, and what experience I do have it on the lighter side of stationary gardens. I'm anxious to hear more about how you make the mobile gardens work.

Add Thank You Reply