Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what bike? (motorbike)
I'm set to trade motorcycles this spring, my street-fighter Honda VTR1000 for two Yamahas -- XT600 and RD400. Already have a further trade in the works for the RD -- cash and firearm -- and will ride the XT600 as a commuter and in-town bike to save on gas. Depending on what the XT is like, it will either be the bike I take with me on the road, or it will get traded for a smaller displacement and lighter DP bike in the 200-400cc range. Hard to beat older DP bikes for lightweight, excellent mileage, dependability, repairability, etc.

Although if someone gave me a wad of cash and said I had to spend it on a new bike, finalists would be the Honda Grom, Sachs MadAss 125, or the new KTM Duke 390...
Add Thank You Reply
(03-12-2015, 12:01 AM)steveh2112 Wrote: xt225 look great
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4926442972.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4926698383.html

how about on the road, how is your behind after an hour or so on that?

I'll admit the seat can get hard. A lot of people get an after market seat. But I'm too tight assed to spend $350 for a good seat. But on the Colorada weeklong trip we rode all day up in the mountains and I don't remember any real discomfort. But this wasn't constant asphalt riding. It was all dirt so you moved around in the saddle. I'm 69 now and this was 5 years ago and I didn't have any problems with my mid sixties butt. 

But I do ride up to about fifty miles around here on asphalt and as you approach a hour there is some discomfort. But I just stand up and shake my booty to get the kinks out. Smile 

I love the bike. 
Wade In NW Florida
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Lostinspace for this post:
steveh2112 (03-12-2015)
(03-11-2015, 08:17 PM)steveh2112 Wrote: i assume a few of you keep a motorbike strapped to the back for local trips when parked up?

what are you driving?

i want something not too big, 250 ish,
any ideas?

thx

I had a KLR 250 for over 10 yrs. 80% of the riding was off road and it was a lot of fun! I traded it in for a XT 250 and love it! A lot more comfortable, a little lower seat height and also a lot of fun. I'm a fan of the dual sports because of where we all camp. In the woods. Why not have a bike that you can use there and also ride into town for supplies. Trail riding is a lot of fun. You can cover a lot of ground, see a lot more, park at a trail head and hike, jump in a lake. Ads another level of enjoyment to your time in the woods.
Greg
Greg
"Where trees outnumber man is a good place"
    https://www.youtube.com/c/vtwinkicker
Add Thank You Reply
I really like my KLR650, and have done some multistate road trips along with trail riding on it. It has the widest, softest and most comfy seat of any small to midsize DP bike. But many of us do add padding beneath the vinyl (easy to do, it just staples to the seat pan) or use an additional seat cover. Nowadays I trailer the bike. It's really too heavy for a hitch-haul style carrier. If I go on the road for an indefinite time/full time, I'd trade or sell it for a smaller DP bike. But with my size and weight, that gets tricky.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
KLR650s are extremely popular with riders on this forum, probably because it's simple, cheap and works which goes with the mindset on CRVL. comfy all day on the highway, if you are skilled it is adequate on most trails. At 400lbs It's too heavy for me to feel safe loading and unloading on a hitch hauler or rail trailer by myself.
Mine is lowered 1" and feels about 3" too low, I use the stock seat, a tall windshield and a hacked up fairing to change the angle of the windshield. She's a beater, set me back $1200 or 1300 and all I've had to do is a couple oil changes, repair a roadside flat and grease some bearings. It does need a new rear tire right now and I should change alll the fluids before my ride to the Oregon coast in 5 months.

200-250cc dualsports normally max out around 65-70mph so are only good for short sprints on the highway. They still tip the scales around the 275-300lb mark too, I have a decent amount of seat time logged on the TW200 and honda 230 and I wouldn't dare take either on the interstates in the front range. The 250-500cc street bikes, are generally around 350-400lbs and don't strain as much on the highway. the Rebel and Vstar 250 are great choices being only 320-330lbs wet.
Political correctness: conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities should be eliminated.
YT  Blog
Add Thank You Reply
I have a Shadow and a Rebel. I love the Shadow. It is so much more comfortable than the Rebel for spending any amount of time on. It is heavier than the Rebel by a long ways and that concerns me some as the weight was the reason I got rid of my Sportster. Now. you had better have a strong back if you want to take a Shadow trail riding. I don't even like dirt roads where there's any loose dirt or gravel. The Rebel was/is a very good bike. It's light weight enough for me, with a bad back and hips to not worry about. I can jerk that thing around almost as easy as I can my bicycle. Not really but it is pretty easy to handle. I don't believe I'll ever be too far of the roads so I'm inclined to keep the Shadow but if your contemplating getting a Rebel and putting some DP tires on it, I'd bet you could be pretty happy with it, as long as you got a tough butt for long rides.
Add Thank You Reply
I bought a couple of 125cc clones of the Honda Mini-trail 70 for my DW and I. They were cheap $1,100 each shipped to my door, brand new and they only cost me $99/yr to insure both of them.

I replaced the carbs and air cleaners and added a 2 tooth bigger front sprocket. They will now break 60MPH and get around 100 MPG. Plus they only weigh around 150lbs each and the handlebars fold down if needed for compact storage.

Here's a link to a thread I started about them on another forum: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=106151 and another one here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?top...#msg575178

Chip
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to sushidog for this post:
steveh2112 (03-12-2015)
(03-12-2015, 04:11 PM)sushidog Wrote: I bought a couple of 125cc clones of the Honda Mini-trail 70 for my DW and I. They were cheap $1,100 each shipped to my door, brand new and they only cost me $99/yr to insure both of them.

I replaced the carbs and air cleaners and added a 2 tooth bigger front sprocket. They will now break 60MPH and get around 100 MPG. Plus they only weigh around 150lbs each and the handlebars fold down if needed for compact storage.

Here's a link to a thread I started about them on another forum: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=106151 and another one here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?top...#msg575178

Chip

interesting, did you get them on aliexpress? what is the exact name of the bike? do you have a link to where you bought them?
Add Thank You Reply
(03-12-2015, 06:40 PM)steveh2112 Wrote: interesting, did you get them on aliexpress? what is the exact name of the bike? do you have a link to where you bought them?

I got them from here: http://www.scooterhighway.com/monkey-ib-...dax-l.html

Looks like they are still $995+  freight.
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke
Add Thank You Reply
KTM 525exc, kitted supermoto (17" wheels, etc) 
~ It's never to late to have a good childhood ~
Add Thank You Reply