Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
FloorPlans-Layout drafts - requesting input
Put the electrical system close to your batteries.  Mount it where you can work on it without bending or crawling.  I have mine set up so if I sit on a bucket I can do what I need.  
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
In regards to the passenger seat, I highly recommend getting a swivel base for it. I got mine used and had it cleaned up and painted when the body work was done. You can buy new and the bolt patterns will fit or failing that, there are adapters made to fix the bolt mount problem.

If you just turn the seat around backwards on it's mounts the high back, even when reclined as far as it will go against the dash, will provide a fair amount of blind spot on that side of the vehicle. I think mine would have interfered with the passenger side rear view mirror visuals.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
lost sailor (08-03-2016)
(05-21-2015, 06:51 AM)Almost There Wrote: In regards to the passenger seat, I highly recommend getting a swivel base for it. I got mine used and had it cleaned up and painted when the body work was done. You can buy new and the bolt patterns will fit or failing that, there are adapters made to fix the bolt mount problem.

If you just turn the seat around backwards on it's mounts the high back, even when reclined as far as it will go against the dash, will provide a fair amount of blind spot on that side of the vehicle. I think mine would have interfered with the passenger side rear view mirror visuals.

Yes - I'd much rather have a swivel base. I want to be able to have a passenger ride in the front seat. I imagine I'll have people along with me here and there. I'll start looking for them at some point.
Add Thank You Reply
So I have my designs narrowed down to 3 versions. I'll be deciding soon. Probably one of these three. Here they are:

(each one shows a top and side view. (The side view is as seen from the passenger side of the van).

[Image: 17768604940_1c6f204489_b.jpg]

[Image: 17335709943_fa41cc67d5_b.jpg]

[Image: 17769944929_8bbcb15c0c_b.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
Things to remember;

Balance the load.  Batteries weigh about 65 lbs each.  You do not want all the weight on the drivers side!  TILT!

Ease of access to your electrical.  You do not want to do your wiring while lying down.  It should be where a glance can tell you if everything is OK.  It also needs to be able to have some air flow.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
The pictures below are the layout I've chosen

Today I mapped the layouts on the floor with tape, and then mocked them up inside by placing things in the van to occupy the spaces. That helped a lot. I could see things like: - How easy/difficult is it to move around inside, to access storage, to use the galley, etc..? - What kind of view do you have while sitting down (in bed that will fold up to couch)? - How spacious or blocked in does it feel? - How hard is it to get inside the side door, to get from the back to the driver's seat ?

There were things I liked and disliked about all three designs, so I was having a hard time deciding. What I ended up doing was combining different elements of the designs. I put the bed in the back, but used the bike storage and galley locations from the "Bed on side" design (though the Galley doesn't have to stick as far forward now)

Storing the bike in the back would have been very nice. It'd be super easy to load and unload, plus the bike would be separated from the normal living area which would be nice to have it out of view, and back there it could be more secure from theft. But it sucked having the back of the van blocked off.

What I like about this design:
- If the bike is not going against the back door, this is the best place for it - it's easy to get in/out, and it blocks only a small amount of windows/view. It also takes up the least amount of floor real estate (well, sort of - it blocks some of the passageway between the front and the rear - which I wouldn't be doing with normal storage or galley, so by occupying that space, it leaves more of the other space for other stuff..
- The only thing I have full height is the bike storage - so it is very open and airy inside. Tons of windows not covered, which I think I will like. If I leave them uncovered, I'll have to follow nice climate more.
- When I get into the back, it's easy to do so by just opening one side door. With this one door open, you can't see into the van much. From most angles, all you can see, if anything, is the front of the bike storage. I'll probably have this covered with something - so you won't really be able to see anything in there. This could be helpful for preventing snoopers and not outing myself when trying to stealth camp.

[Image: 17440240464_3f736605e1_b.jpg]

and pictures of it mocked up

[Image: 18036561356_4f626cb212_b.jpg]

(you can disregard the electrical tape - some of those lines were leftovers from other designs)

[Image: 18036561356_4f626cb212_b.jpg]

Bob - I probably won't do anything else in terms of cleaning up the design drafts. If you have excel, PM me your email address and I will send you the files, so you can do screen captures from those, and get whatever you want. I did add more than there was in the original pictures. If you don't have excel, let me know that and I will do screen captures and upload pictures in an album for you. My brother might draw my final design in Sketchup for me - but only that one.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to FALCON for this post:
lost sailor (08-03-2016)
Wow,
What a terrific planner you are. Your approach has the same effect as the old adage "measure twice, cut once."

Here is the one thing that would bother me personally -- the bike storage "appears" in the photos to block your view to the right rear. My van has windows all around and I leave the back ones on the drivers side blocked off most of the time since I cannot look back and use those windows for a visual traffic check anyway. But I love being able to use my passenger side windows and the back door windows for a quick look when merging in traffic or backing up.

Maybe the fish-eye camera effect only makes it look like your vision is blocked? Or perhaps you are satisfied with using only your outside mirrors.

I love having windows, and I"m sure you will, too.
6 months boondocking in 2014; now in s&b but will be full-time again in Sept 2017.
97 Dodge Ram Van 3500. Simple set-up but reliable. Blog is woefully outdated but prepper info promotes my novels: http://prepsandprecautions.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
@WriterMs - thank you :-)

Yes, the bike blocks some of the views while driving.. I have a note about that in the picture:

DRIVING VISIBILITY:

Rear - can see out the entire PSGR side rear window through the rear view mirror. Only a sliver of the driver side rear window.

Right side - can see out all the windows if I lean over to the right a little bit

Left side - basically nothing, since the front of the bike storage will block off the side window right behind me - so I'll have to use the mirror for that side, or lean forward or sideways to look out the front driver side window.

Overall - it's probably the best of my final designs as far as driving visibility goes.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-24-2015, 09:26 PM)WriterMs Wrote: Here is the one thing that would bother me personally -- the bike storage "appears" in the photos to block your view to the right rear. My van has windows all around and I leave the back ones on the drivers side blocked off most of the time since I cannot look back and use those windows for a visual traffic check anyway. But I love being able to use my passenger side windows and the back door windows for a quick look when merging in traffic or backing up.

Maybe the fish-eye camera effect only makes it look like your vision is blocked? Or perhaps you are satisfied with using only your outside mirrors.

Oh, yes, actually it does look like the side of the bike storage sticks out past the back of the seat. In reality, it will not go any farther forward than the very back of the seat.. I don't know whether it's an illusion from the fisheye, or that the paper was just sticking further out right at that moment.. ?
Add Thank You Reply
I am still confused as to where the batteries and power panel will go.

As for visibility, I have used one of these for about 30 years in various company vans. This fish eye lens allow you to see within a foot of your rear bumper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCC...UTF8&psc=1
Add Thank You Reply