Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nevada Residency

I'v been doing a little research and have learned that the only counties in Nv. that require smogs are Clark and Washoe. There also seem to be serveral mail forwarding services located all over Nv. which for those of us who travel is handy. Another advantage is no state income tax.

East of the moon  West of the sun
Add Thank You Reply
Don't they require you to be actually living there?  I know obviously there are ways around that but for "legal" purposes I am curious.  I read that in South dakota it is totally legit and the only requirement is that you bring a receipt from a hotel or campground to prove temporary residency.  If this was the same in nevada that would be great.
Add Thank You Reply

You need a Nevada address, which is quite simple to do, and voila you're golden!

East of the moon  West of the sun
Add Thank You Reply
Hi Owl, I am a Nevada resident for all the reasons you listed. Plus I really like the libertarian principles of legalized gambling and prostitution and minimum gun control. I am a resident of Pahrump in Nye county. They have the best view toward vandwellers I have ever seen. You can live in the desert around town for years and never be hassled. You can live in a tent, crappy old RV or a million dollar RV. There is a super walmart and a Home Depot. I love Pahrump! I have a mail forwarder there who does a great job of handling my mail for me and I use her home address as my home address, here is her website: jbmailroom.com she charges $100 a year. If you sign up, tell her I sent you.

Its easy to register your car and get a drivers license.  After you get your drivers licnese picture, you don't have to stay in the state, you can leave. It's easy to renew your registration every year over the internet.

Nevada has a great deal for seniors to camp in their state parks. After you turn 60, and if you have been a resident for 5 years, you buy a pass for a few dollars and camp in their parks for free. There are a lot of parks in forests that are high enough to be cool in the summer. 

The one bad thing is my car insurance went up from what it was in North Carolina, but yours may be lower. Bob

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
BigT (12-28-2017), Ramblin Roam (09-20-2017)
Hi everybody,

I'm resurrecting an old thread here because it is the most applicable to my question, and should probably be a sticky thread anyway.

My question relates to the documentation and timing for establishing residency in Nevada.  There is a good website on the topic:

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

In that document is the following text, regarding one form of documentation acceptable for establishing residency:

Quote:Record from a hotel, motel, recreational vehicle park or campground located in Nevada indicating no fewer than 30 days of consecutive residency in this state.

Here is the key question:  Can you get that receipt on Day 1, after paying for it at the RV park, and immediately take it to the DMV to get a license, or do you have to wait the 30 days, so that you have already been a resident that long before you go to get your license?

There has been some discussion of this in other threads, as far as I can remember, but never a conclusive answer.  If anyone knows for sure, it would be great to know.

Thanks,

Vagabound
Also officially hates touch screens ... and not so smart phones ... oh, and those squeaky little shoes that Satan invented for toddlers.

Add Thank You Reply
While not an exact answer I can say I've been waiting for 4 weeks, so far, for my license to arrive in the mail.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Larry D.
1989 B350 Dodge Van
2014 6x12 cargo
2001 Yamaha TW200
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Kayak
1993 Damon Hornet - parked in NV as my domicile marker
Living my new nomadic life
Going to the RTR in Jan.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ldmccain for this post:
Vagabound (09-22-2016)
(09-22-2016, 01:57 PM)ldmccain Wrote: While not an exact answer I can say I've been waiting for 4 weeks, so far, for my license to arrive in the mail.  

And during this 4-week period, you've had a NV temporary drivers license in your pocket, that DMV gave you in person, I assume?

OK, but on the point of documentation ... was your residency already firmly established from being there much longer than 30 days prior to applying for your drivers license, or did you show up in NV and apply for a license immediately?  If the latter, please provide some details about which forms of documentation you used so we can see what's effective in that case.

Vagabound
Also officially hates touch screens ... and not so smart phones ... oh, and those squeaky little shoes that Satan invented for toddlers.

Add Thank You Reply
You can take the receipt with your new physical address to the DMV right away.
If you have all your ducks in a row, a paper DL will be issued.
You can take the paper DL to a firearms dealer and purchase a pistol with a three day wait for the Brady check. You can then open carry the sidearm out and about in Nevada.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to wayne49 for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (12-28-2017), Vagabound (09-22-2016)
(09-22-2016, 09:46 PM)wayne49 Wrote: You can take the receipt with your new physical address to the DMV right away.
If you have all your ducks in a row, a paper DL will be issued.
You can take the paper DL to a firearms dealer and purchase a pistol with a three day wait for the Brady check. You can then open carry the sidearm out and about in Nevada.

I never heard of a 3 day wait for a Brady check in Nevada. I live in NYE county, so maybe that is why, (Clark County has more rules).  Even before my CCW permit, I was in and out of the gun shop in a half an hour, (with the gun). If the CCW was issued after a certain date, the Brady check is not required. I can be in and out of the gun shop now in 10 minutes.
The world is not perfect, and neither am I. Get over it already. 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DannyB1954 for this post:
Vagabound (09-22-2016)
While I appreciate as much as the next guy having the latest in rapidly-purchasable firepower duct-taped to all parts of my body, maybe we can get back to the topic of proving residency. ;-)

So, if I'm understanding right, a person can get a spot in some idyllic, moon-landscape RV park, pay for a month, get the right receipt that shows your name and a month paid, and without even sleeping that night there, rush over to DMV and start the process.  The only important factor seems to be that the receipt must list 30 days of paid RV spot rental.  Is that right?

Vagabound

Add Thank You Reply