Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wire sizes and Fusing
We need to know exactly which batteries you have and what charger you are using. I have 12v AGM batteries (2-125ah) connected in parallel (+ to + and - to -) and have never heard gurgling from them. Hearing gurgling means you have the wrong charger connected to them or the batteries are not AGM. If these are 6 volt batteries connected in parallel and you are charging with a 12v charger, gurgling would occur. You are connecting the charger the correct way.

The 19 inch 4 ga cable is is good. Most people undersize the cables.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-16-2016, 10:10 AM)B and C Wrote:
Quote:We need to know exactly which batteries you have and what charger you are using.  I have 12v AGM batteries (2-125ah) connected in parallel (+ to + and - to -) and have never heard gurgling from them.  Hearing gurgling means you have the wrong charger connected to them or the batteries are not AGM.  If these are 6 volt batteries connected in parallel and you are charging with a 12v charger, gurgling would occur.  You are connecting the charger the correct way.

The 19 inch 4 ga cable is is good.  Most people undersize the cables.

Actually, the batteries are 100ah, 12v WindyNation and the charger is a Schumacher speed/charge 1.5a.  The charger worked fine on the batteries when they were not in parallel.  
if journeying with others, there are many plans to coordinate;
if journeying alone, you can leave right now.
Add Thank You Reply
dolomiti wrote:
Actually, the batteries are 100ah, 12v WindyNation and the charger is a Schumacher speed/charge 1.5a.  The charger worked fine on the batteries when they were not in parallel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just make sure that the batteries are wired in parallel, (one cable + to + and one cable - to -).  Disconnect any other cables.  If you have them wired up in series (maintainer to + battery, - cable to + battery, - to maintainer) they will be at 24v.  

Do you have a meter to check the voltage where you are trying to connect the charger?  If it worked fine when charging individually, see the sentence above.  Wire the negative post to the negative post and the positive post to the positive post.  Your meter should read 12+ volts (not 24 volts) without the maintainer connected unless the battery is really dead.  Put the meter on the posts you were trying to charge from.  Connect the maintainer and read the voltage again.  Should be something like 13.2 to 13.8 volts with it plugged in.

The "battery charger" you pointed to is actually just a maintainer (for when a battery is not going to be used for awhile) or a really slow trickle charger.  "Schumacher Electric 1.5-Amp Battery Maintainer" is it says in the description.  That maintainer should not be able to boil those batteries.  I have a 30 amp charger and 30 amp solar charger connected to mine and they have never been discharged below 80%.  I have a Trimetric battery monitor connected to mine to see how many amps are going in and coming out.  The most it has ever drawn is 14 amps when charging.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
GotSmart (11-16-2016)
(11-16-2016, 02:01 PM)B and C Wrote: dolomiti wrote:
Actually, the batteries are 100ah, 12v WindyNation and the charger is a Schumacher speed/charge 1.5a.  The charger worked fine on the batteries when they were not in parallel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just make sure that the batteries are wired in parallel, (one cable + to + and one cable - to -).  Disconnect any other cables.  If you have them wired up in series (maintainer to + battery, - cable to + battery, - to maintainer) they will be at 24v.  

Do you have a meter to check the voltage where you are trying to connect the charger?  If it worked fine when charging individually, see the sentence above.  Wire the negative post to the negative post and the positive post to the positive post.  Your meter should read 12+ volts (not 24 volts) without the maintainer connected unless the battery is really dead.  Put the meter on the posts you were trying to charge from.  Connect the maintainer and read the voltage again.  Should be something like 13.2 to 13.8 volts with it plugged in.

The "battery charger" you pointed to is actually just a maintainer (for when a battery is not going to be used for awhile) or a really slow trickle charger.  "Schumacher Electric 1.5-Amp Battery Maintainer" is it says in the description.  That maintainer should not be able to boil those batteries.  I have a 30 amp charger and 30 amp solar charger connected to mine and they have never been discharged below 80%.  I have a Trimetric battery monitor connected to mine to see how many amps are going in and coming out.  The most it has ever drawn is 14 amps when charging.

I definitely had it connected in parallel as, I could see it visually and voltages remain consistent across the parallel and the individual batteries (out of parallel connection) at about 13v.  I think that I did not tighten the leads enough.  I did that this morning and all went well.  Thanks for the help!!!  Cool
if journeying with others, there are many plans to coordinate;
if journeying alone, you can leave right now.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to dolomiti for this post:
Maggie Flinn (11-04-2017)
It is hard for me to pick out exactly what size wiring I should purchase after reading all the posts to this thread. I am building out a Ford E150 and already have one battery, one solar panel, a solar controller and an inverter/charger. My first step is getting the battery isolator hooked up....but after that I can’t decide. I have a whynter fridge, 2 12v fans and 5 devices to charge plus my laptop. I plan on getting another battery and one more solar panel but not right away. So....can I just use all 10 gauge? What about fuses? I already have 20ft of wire for the solar panel. 
Suggestions?
Thanks bunches in advance for any and all help.
Add Thank You Reply
No, you have many different devices with different power draws and lengths. I'd suggest you take each one individually and post it here with the details and we'll help you.

But, what we will all do is take the information you give us and plug it into a cable calculator which will tell us the size.

If you google "cable gauge calculator" you'll find many and you can use whichever one you like. Many of us like the one on the Blue Seas website.

Some of the terminology is tricky, if so post here and we'll walk you though it.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
Sonyatech (11-24-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuses and Breakers and Wire Sizes for Solar System Laughing Richard 18 11,961 05-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Last Post: wrcsixeight
  wire sizes for solar cedric 11 3,958 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cedric