Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
How much solar do I need?
(12-07-2015, 01:31 PM)TooManyDogs Wrote: I finally hooked up the Renogy 100W portable kit (10A pmw controller) to a group 31 SuperStart battery from O'Reilly (I opted for a marine battery from there vs WM because it's manufactured be EastPenn rather than JCI). I plan on mainly using this to power a 45qt Whytner frig. I have a little powerpack, which I can plug in wherever power is available, to recharge my cell phone. I'm only getting between 2 and 3 amps today (checking between 11am and 1pm) on a relatively clear winter day in TN. I opted for the portable kit since I'm not on the road yet and not in my permanent vehicle. I'll probably have to add another 100W panel if/when I full-time.

I guess it shouldn't be too hard to wire in another 100W panel to the 2-(50)W portable kit?

IIRC the system you have is rated at about 5.7 amps on the panel and the controller is 10 amps max.  So putting another 100w panel in parallel with the controller & panel you currently have would be over 10 amps of input.  You would be at risk of letting out the magic smoke from the controller...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-07-2015, 01:31 PM)TooManyDogs Wrote: I finally hooked up the Renogy 100W portable kit (10A pmw controller) to a group 31 SuperStart battery from O'Reilly (I opted for a marine battery from there vs WM because it's manufactured be EastPenn rather than JCI). I plan on mainly using this to power a 45qt Whytner frig. I have a little powerpack, which I can plug in wherever power is available, to recharge my cell phone. I'm only getting between 2 and 3 amps today (checking between 11am and 1pm) on a relatively clear winter day in TN. I opted for the portable kit since I'm not on the road yet and not in my permanent vehicle. I'll probably have to add another 100W panel if/when I full-time.

I guess it shouldn't be too hard to wire in another 100W panel to the 2-(50)W portable kit?

All you will need is a MC4

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
Two more things to save up for. Smile Thanks for the info!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-07-2015, 02:49 PM)TooManyDogs Wrote: Two more things to save up for. Smile  Thanks for the info!

$7 to be able to uncouple the wires.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
I got a set of those and found i didn't need to use them. I am planning to put them on the free tarp at the RTR.
Add Thank You Reply
Why don't you need them? Can you just uncouple them by hand, or use some other tool? Use different connectors?
Add Thank You Reply
Yes i am able to uncouple them by hand. If i squeeze the tabs the pressure from the o-ring seal pops them apart.
Add Thank You Reply
x2, I can uncouple mine by hand too. I always thought it was funny people saying you need a special tool. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
That did not work for me.
Add Thank You Reply
Okay. I can too. Money saved! Smile
Add Thank You Reply