Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folding Bicycle for the Van / Small RV Dweller
I didn't know where to post about a bicycle but figured that since bikes are green that it would work here..... maybe we need a section called "cool gear" for the Van Dweller (Small RV Dweller)?

My post is on my blog at,

Pics included!

Does anyone else have a folding bicycle?

-AK
Add Thank You Reply
No but I do plan to get one. I love riding my bike. No bike should be left at home.
Add Thank You Reply
Last year, I purchased a Bike Friday New World Tourist. I paid $1400 total, with some additional accessories. It has a chromoly frame. I'm sure that the price has gone up since last year. It folds in the middle, just beneath the seat post. The rear wheel folds down, the handlebar stem pops off and remains connected with the cables, but can strap to the side of the frame. Also, the seatpost pops off as well, and straps to the side of the frame.

Add Thank You Reply
Oh, btw, nice bike & blog you have there, akblack10! 
How do you like the seat?
Add Thank You Reply
xj700, thanks for visiting the blog!  Bike Friday is the Rolls Royce of folding bikes!  I like them a lot but didn't want to spend that much for my first folder.  I got the Trek for $200.00 on Craigslist which was a pretty good deal.  The seat is ok for short trips but it seems to cause you to sit forward so i'm not sure it will be good for hours of non-stop riding! I'd like to take it to Europe next Fall for a ride around the Netherlands.
Add Thank You Reply
I have a Dahon single spd. I used to trave with all the time but the folding mechanism is wearing out. I still use it some but now that I have the van I take a full sized bike with me everywhere. I would still like to upgrade my Dahon for trips in my car or flights. A bicycle is something I rarely leave home without; no better way to get familiar with ones surrounding than a bicycle. That's just me.

gus

Add Thank You Reply
Gus, Thanks for the post!  I agree, a bicycle is a great addition to any vehicle traveler!
-AK

Add Thank You Reply
(04-01-2012, 02:05 PM)akblack10 Wrote: I didn't know where to post about a bicycle but figured that since bikes are green that it would work here..... maybe we need a section called "cool gear" for the Van Dweller (Small RV Dweller)?

My post is on my blog at,

Pics included!

Does anyone else have a folding bicycle?

-AK

I have a three speed Dahon and a mountain bike and travel with both because I like to give the appearance that there's two people traveling and also they each have distinct uses.
Add Thank You Reply
Hub and I each have Bike Fridays (New World Tourist). The bikes are built like tanks. Hub's bike is about 10 years old, and mine is about 8. The nice thing about the Bike Fridays is that you can get a suitcase that you can pack the bike in and check it like luggage-taking a bike with you while flying is pretty cost prohibitive. And a pain dealing with a full size bike box. And when you get to where you're going, you can use the suitcase as a trailer. Hub's even taken his to Europe.

He was out on my bike yesterday, rode14 miles (his had a flat). They look funny, but the Bike Friday feels like a regular bike. I've not been a bike tourist, but Hub has been quite pleased with it's performance. And he been a bicycle tourist for over 30 years.

The Dahons fold faster and easier, but don't feel like a regular bike and take up more space than a Bike Friday.
Add Thank You Reply
I've had a Bike Friday. They make a quality bike for sure. I'm now using a Brompton. It's the smallest folding bike I could find, and it folds and unfolds in about 15 seconds, literally. They are expensive, but exude quality. I've been following the English company since the late 70's, and they have kept refining the bike over the years. When they established dealers in the states, I bought one.

It fit inside the back of my Roadtrek 170 where the spare tire goes, when I had my 170. It was the only foldable that you fit nicely in that space. It folds to 23 x 22 x 10. On my transit connect, I built a "bike garage" inside to hold it.

One thing I love about it is the basket/bag system, which is easy to remove and use as a shoulder bag.

http://gregfuller.com/wp-content/uploads...00x750.jpg

Here's a fold/unfold video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owLv-_CPNJI

Hope that helps.
Add Thank You Reply