Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folding Bicycle for the Van / Small RV Dweller
Brompton is the smallest fold for sure. It's more for multimodal transportation and not really for touring. Many Bike Friday bikes are purpose built for road and offroad touring. They are both high end folding bikes in the 1K+ cost range. Less expensive decent brands include Downtube and Origami.
Add Thank You Reply
I have a friend with a folding bike that he loves. It's a Tern. He will be at RTR.
A towhee is a type of sparrow. I am also called Nancy. 
Add Thank You Reply
In early 2014, I splurged & got a Bike Friday Silk. 
It has the internal geared-Rohloff Speedhub 14 (flawless shifting) and Gates Centertrack Carbon belt (zero maintenance / cannot stretch as it's made of polyethylene and carbon fibre).
The rear hub has over 500% gear range than standard external derailleur / cassette system.
The bike has only 3400 miles on it.

I totally h8 the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (with Greengaurd) tires (shown in the pic). 
I had to warranty-out the original set, and the replacement ones are no better (still produce a slapping feel on newly-asphalted pavement). 
They are decent on gravel, though. My better tires are Schwalbe Touring Supremes. They will replace the Marathons when I feel like doing so.

Sadly, I No longer have the Transit Connect :'(

Add Thank You Reply
I've had a couple of Bike Friday NWTs and absolutely loved them, but my days on an up-wrong, even a folding up-wrong have become numbered.  My folder now is an HP Velotechnik Grasshopper fx...  IMO the best riding bike ever built, folding or not.

I tour on an ICE Sprint SE folding recumbent tadpole trike with a Burley trailer as well, but as an all-round utility bike, the Grasshopper fx is, for me, the holy grail of folders.  I don't think I'd get rid of it for even a Mouton!
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
(01-10-2017, 05:43 PM)hepcat Wrote: I've had a couple of Bike Friday NWTs and absolutely loved them, but my days on an up-wrong, even a folding up-wrong have become numbered.  My folder now is an HP Velotechnik Grasshopper fx...  IMO the best riding bike ever built, folding or not.

Just curious to know... Did you cross over to the 'bent bikes due to issues with numbness in hands along with also nether region-areas? I was just wondering. 

Fortunately, I was able to totally defeat my numbness issues by getting appropriately-styled (closer to European style) handlebars (on my Silk shown above post). 
I bought the Nitto Bosco bars from Rivendell Bicycles and it solved all my numbness issues + also made riding more efficient. I had it professionally powdercoated in army green (for stealth camping on my bike tour in 2015).

Interesting how riders in Europe mostly ride with swept back bars. I think that they understand how to do real-world riding where they are not influenced through mass marketed "race" products along with local bicycle shop contract sales (forced to sell race-style components) as opposed to here in the USA.

What's even more interesting is that I've encountered (on my own tour) many long-distance cyclists (passing through the USA) that have rode thousands of miles in plain street clothing (i.e. long pants / trousers). They too rode with swept back bars btw.
On my tours, I too rode with a thin, breathable long sleeved shirt and un-padded long pants (to keep the sun rays off my skin).
Add Thank You Reply
I originally started with 'bents because my wife has neck and spine issues and couldn't do an up wrong any more. So we found a couple of Burleys in '08 and absolutely loved them. Then we discovered the tadpole trikes, and as we've aged, she's also lost some of her ability to balance, so they're perfect for her. The trikes are just plain fun for me. I built a diamond-drame tourer in '10 to ride RAGBRAI. It was tricked out exactly how I wanted it with exactly what I wanted, including butterfly touring bars. I found that I couldn't ride more than about 50 minutes without my neck, back and shoulders going into spasm, and my hands going numb. No amount of parts swapping or geometry re-arranging helped... which was the beginning of the end of diamond-frames for me. The last NWT I had I loved because I rode it for 10 minute grocery-getting and errand kind of rides... but the Grasshopper fx has even taken over those duties now. I had H bars on the NWT.

And I ride in street clothes, but I do use clipless shoes and pedals with Crank Bros Eggbeaters.
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
(01-10-2017, 07:07 PM)hepcat Wrote: I originally started with 'bents because my wife has neck and spine issues and couldn't do an up wrong any more.  So we found a couple of Burleys in '08 and absolutely loved them.  Then we discovered the tadpole trikes, and as we've aged, she's also lost some of her ability to balance, so they're perfect for her.  The trikes are just plain fun for me.  I built a diamond-frame tourer in '10 to ride RAGBRAI.  It was tricked out exactly how I wanted it with exactly what I wanted, including butterfly touring bars.   I found that I couldn't ride more than about 50 minutes without my neck, back and shoulders going into spasm, and my hands going numb.  No amount of parts swapping or geometry re-arranging helped... which was the beginning of the end of diamond-frames for me.  The last NWT I had I loved because I rode it for 10 minute grocery-getting and errand kind of rides...  but the Grasshopper fx has even taken over those duties now.  I had H bars on the NWT.

And I ride in street clothes, but I do use clipless shoes and pedals with Crank Bros Eggbeaters.
Thanks for the explanation... 
Those Eggbeaters are killer pedals. I've never met a dissatisfied user! 
Back spasms are a nightmare esp. when riding so I can see where you're coming from! 
I had a Cattrike Pocket (in that nice neon green color) and it was a hoot! What made it even more fun was the fact that if there was a hill that was uber-steep, then pedaling almost to a crawl was easy (due to the balance not being an issue). I could see how your wife benefits with a trike. 
When I was riding up a mountain road in WV, near my land, I was smiling ear-to-ear on the Cattrike. 
Sadly though, because of the coal and logging truckers take delight in driving insanely, and with my low clearance, I got rid of the Cattrike. I felt way too vulnerable.
I just might even get rid of the Bike Friday Silk frame, keep some of the parts and transfer to a large-wheeled frame i.e. cyclocross or 650b.
Add Thank You Reply
(01-10-2017, 07:20 PM)bobbert Wrote: Thanks for the explanation... 
Those Eggbeaters are killer pedals. I've never met a dissatisfied user! 
Back spasms are a nightmare esp. when riding so I can see where you're coming from! 
I had a Cattrike Pocket (in that nice neon green color) and it was a hoot! What made it even more fun was the fact that if there was a hill that was uber-steep, then pedaling almost to a crawl was easy (due to the balance not being an issue). I could see how your wife benefits with a trike. 
When I was riding up a mountain road in WV, near my land, I was smiling ear-to-ear on the Cattrike. 
Sadly though, because of the coal and logging truckers take delight in driving insanely, and with my low clearance, I got rid of the Cattrike. I felt way too vulnerable.
I just might even get rid of the Bike Friday Silk frame, keep some of the parts and transfer to a large-wheeled frame i.e. cyclocross or 650b.

Yeah, I've got eggbeaters on everything except the one Fuji Tour 62cm diamond frame I still have.  

Trikes are absolutely a blast...  and although you can feel vulnerable, but the truth is that you're actually better seen on a trike.  I've been buzzed and nearly blown off the road countless times on diamond-frame bikes.  When I'm on the trike, everyone passes me like another car.  People smile and wave...  everyone sees me.  On a diamond-frame, you're invisible.

If you sell the Silk, just sell it and trick out a DF the way you want it.  Most of the components on Bike Friday are set up for 406 or 451 wheels and not much of that translates well to 650b wheels, gearing-wise.

[Image: 16496596897_ed8a5596da_z.jpg]P1030788a by Roger H, on Flickr
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
(01-10-2017, 08:10 PM)hepcat Wrote: Yeah, I've got eggbeaters on everything except the one Fuji Tour 62cm diamond frame I still have.  

Trikes are absolutely a blast...  and although you can feel vulnerable, but the truth is that you're actually better seen on a trike.  I've been buzzed and nearly blown off the road countless times on diamond-frame bikes.  When I'm on the trike, everyone passes me like another car.  People smile and wave...  everyone sees me.  

I don't know man... My experience wasn't too great on a trike. 
I've had tons of carbon-emission drivers cuss at me back in the day when I arrived at an intersection, saying that they couldn't see me when they were on a blind drive / hill. Mostly in Glaciated Ohio, some WV mountain roads.

I also had my Cattrike Flag on it. 

But, you know how many drivers are east of the Mississippi... Not courteous at all. They want their "instant pudding"...

Most road rage encounters consisted of people cussing at me for "not riding on a trail". 

Luckily though, riding my Bike Friday Silk, I only had horn honking, the past two years.
Add Thank You Reply
(01-10-2017, 08:22 PM)bobbert Wrote: I don't know man... My experience wasn't too great on a trike. 
I've had tons of carbon-emission drivers cuss at me back in the day when I arrived at an intersection, saying that they couldn't see me when they were on a blind drive / hill. Mostly in Glaciated Ohio, some WV mountain roads.

I also had my Cattrike Flag on it. 

But, you know how many drivers are east of the Mississippi... Not courteous at all. They want their "instant pudding"...

Most road rage encounters consisted of people cussing at me for "not riding on a trail". 

Luckily though, riding my Bike Friday Silk, I only had horn honking, the past two years.
Oh, I've been told repeatedly (mostly at intersections by people who stop) stuff like "that things too low... I can't see you!" yet, there they are talking to me...  and they really look confused when I ask them "if you didn't see me, how is it that you saw me and are talking to me now?"  That leaves them stuttering and stammering.  I also have a fairly bright headlight I run on strobe during the daytime and I've had people whine at me about that too...  and my reply is always...  did you see it?  And ME?  Then it did it's job! 

Yes, drivers and the general public are pretty clueless most of the time.  I'm not one of those 'militant' bike riders, but I sure understand how folks can turn into one.   You're right though in that areas that don't have many bikes on the road are a lot more dangerous for riders.
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply