Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whynter 62 QT Ac/DC Fridge Freezer
thanks for that link LMF. that price is unbelievable, it was so unbelievable I had to order one.

BTW that link is for a 12/24/120v, 3.1 cuft, freezer. for 205 bucks.

I don't need it but for 205 bucks I couldn't say no. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(08-04-2017, 04:02 PM)LFM Wrote: Update 2 years and 8 months later DOA. The compressor runs but doesn't cool. Just wanted to pass this on to anyone considering one. I originally paid just under $500 with free shipping. Now I'm finding them around $600 plus shipping. Wanting to replace it with something of a better quality
<-------->
http://www.adventurerv.net/norcold-freez...07_27_2017

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Johnson-Contr...30-to-100F

Looks pretty good price wise.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
This is not a compressor fridge/freezer. The parts list seem to indicate an absorption type unit. The manual states it is designed for 120 volt ac electric, but runs on dc in an emergency without AC power. Would be very heavy on electric use when on battery. But $200 is the all-time lowest price I could find.
Add Thank You Reply
(08-05-2017, 06:23 AM)Weight Wrote: This is not a compressor fridge/freezer. The parts list seem to indicate an absorption type unit. The manual states it is designed for 120 volt ac electric, but runs on dc in an emergency without AC power.  Would be very heavy on electric use when on battery. But $200 is the all-time lowest price I could find.
Not sure where you getting your information from. The DEF788S Norcold Model - 3.1 cu. ft. is a compressor freezer using 134a for its refrigerant. Runs on 120AC and 12/24DC. It uses AC when it is present and switches to DC when not. It uses about half the power of what my Whynter 62 QT Ac/DC Fridge Freezer used. At 13 volts it's pulling about 2.9 amps. In the mid 80's here in GA. the unit is running a couple of minutes every 20 minutes or so. It has a thermostat 1-5 5 being the coldest. By setting it to what a .5 is, the unit runs about 36 degrees. The unit is very quiet, with the exception of an occasional vibration when traveling. I have not found the source of that vibration yet, Need to investigate more. So far it appears to be a good unit, that I'm pleased with.
Norcold Freezer 3.1 cu ft DEF788S Stainless Norcold Freezer 3.1 cu ft DEF788S Stainless
Quote:Dave 

Part Time/Van Dweller
LFM = Lone Frogman
lone : solitary : sole,only : isolated
frogman : a swimmer equipped to work underwater for long periods of time
2002 E350 400 watts solar/210 AGM battery

Add Thank You Reply
(08-19-2015, 06:51 AM)vtwinkicker Wrote: I had one. Ended up returning it. The unit having two separate compartments is why I bought it. When it arrived I plugged it in on AC and worked great! Cooled fast and held temp well although I thought it was a bit louder than I would have liked. Once I got my solar panels and battery bank installed in the van I took the fridge out for a trial run. It cooled quickly and held temperature well on DC as well. Overnight it shut off. I unplugged and tried again with same results. Several calls to Whynter revealed their DC cord is insufficient and is possibly causing the problem. Apparently the voltage is dropping and causing a low voltage disconnect even though the batteries are fine. Whynter offered to send me another cord but the service rep said its the same cord and probably wont fix it. The suggestion was that I buy a better cord from Radio Shack or wherever. Radio shack had nothing and I couldn't find one online. I was trying to also find the correct plug ends and construct my own heavy duty cord with no luck. I'm very disappointed because I really liked the unit (other than the noise).
Greg

I cut the cig plug and attached directly to a Blue Sea terminal block. No problems.

The cig plug is what is weak on the stock cable I received with my Whynter 65qt.

You don't need a cig plug on a large appliance that you are unlikely to move around on a whim.
Add Thank You Reply
All ciggie plugs should be replaced, they are an abomination.

I believe Norcold and Engel are (part of) the same company?

Does that mean this unit also uses Sawafuji compressor rather than Secop/Danfoss or Waeco?

I'm amazed at that efficiency for a freezer!

3A seems low for an overall average over 24 hours, never mind a "while compressor is running" draw! Which I understand is usually double that.

And I really like the built-in design (front-venting?) should help adding insulation.

And wow great price, hard pressed just getting parts for that sort of money.

Might be a good source to cannibalize for a custom box project. . .
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Max Burton fridge/freezer anm 107 7,273 08-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Last Post: regis101
  Fridge or freezer? surfmore72 27 2,503 02-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Willy
  45 or 65 qt Whynter Fridge Gadget728 12 1,588 12-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Gadget728