Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With the Coming of the Holidays
(11-12-2015, 07:48 PM)eDJ_ Wrote: You know just the other day I was looking at a 3 lb Boneless Turkey Breast for about $10 and thinking of
smoking it in my smoker.   Then I went over to another section of the refrigeration cases and saw sliced
smoke Turkey in the 1 Lb package ready to eat for $3 bucks. 

I couldn't smoke it that cheap and then I'd have more than I could store and eat.

That is basically what I figured out about those fat rotisserie chickens that Sam's Club sells. The cooked chicken is running 5lbs in pure meat (I debone the little gems) for $4.98. I don't have to cook them as they are already cooked. Sometimes it pays to triple check and price out your options.
This is merely what I did. I am not telling you to do this. I am just saying what I did. This may or may not work for Vandwellers. I am not a Vandweller. I live in a skoolie. I do not boondock so this may or may not be suitable for those who do boondock. Fulltime since 2006.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
Add Thank You Reply
In our little household I'm the one who enjoys the season, people seem nicer to one another. We don't do presents or anything, I just like my little 1' tall tree that I've wrapped in a string of 100 lights, it makes me smile.
“If the words you spoke appeared on your skin, would you still be beautiful?”
~ Auliq Ice
Add Thank You Reply
(11-11-2015, 08:00 AM)Mr.LooRead Wrote: I would be depressed if I spent the holidays near Quartzsite in a treeless barren windy dusty landscape 

I'm sad for you, that you're so easily depressed and unable to find the silver linings n things.

An autumn or winter holiday, in Quartzsite, would include the awesome company of so many wonderful and like-minded people, glorious sunrises and sunsets, plenty of good food and so much more.

Also, a reminder that in the desert, with no moisture in the airand a cloudless sky 60-65 degrees feels more like 70.
I'd like to give myself a few negative ratings, because I am such a big meanie. The forum won't allow it. Feel free!

Cyndi (made it across the cattle guard)
http://rvlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~ Adam Savage
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to cyndi for this post:
SaltySeaWitch (11-20-2015)
(11-14-2015, 08:32 AM)cyndi Wrote: ... in the desert, with no moisture in the air and a cloudless sky 60-65 degrees feels more like 70.

"It's a dry heat". "It's a dry cold"... yep heard that one. Bull. I loathe NM. If I ever get out of here, I do not see a return trip in my future.
This is merely what I did. I am not telling you to do this. I am just saying what I did. This may or may not work for Vandwellers. I am not a Vandweller. I live in a skoolie. I do not boondock so this may or may not be suitable for those who do boondock. Fulltime since 2006.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
Add Thank You Reply
I hang lights in my r.v.  and I have friends over when I 'am on the desert. Like now when I am at home with friends and family I enjoy it also a lot different this year
Add Thank You Reply
Compassrose  wrote:

Quote:eDJ_ Wrote: You know just the other day I was looking at a 3 lb Boneless Turkey Breast for about $10 and thinking of
smoking it in my smoker.   Then I went over to another section of the refrigeration cases and saw sliced
smoke Turkey in the 1 Lb package ready to eat for $3 bucks. 

I couldn't smoke it that cheap and then I'd have more than I could store and eat.
That is basically what I figured out about those fat rotisserie chickens that Sam's Club sells. The cooked chicken is running 5lbs in pure meat (I debone the little gems) for $4.98. I don't have to cook them as they are already cooked. Sometimes it pays to triple check and price out your options.

My Dad used  to travel in his Van a lot and was explaining to me how he would buy a bucket of KFC.  He thought it kept well,  and provided immediate food as he drove some of those long road trips of his.   I still make his  Chicken Ala King recipe when I have a left over fried breast that I can debone and dice up.  With a few slices of toast or a roll of biscuits baked that will extend a couple more meals. 

Here at the house I use those rotisserie birds I find marked down at some of the Grocery Stores in my area.
Just gotta be there around 3:30 Pm when they mark them down an put them out.  About the same deal
as you get at Sam's.  But I can do Chicken Hash, or Chicken Chop Suey in the wok with the pulled scraps.
Or Chicken Enchiladas  and Chicken Parmesan if I use the oven.  But I could make these at camp with a Dutch Oven or a Wok  in my galley kit.
Add Thank You Reply
Yep, I can make three or four meals from a $7 fried chicken or rotisserie chicken from Publix Grocery.  Not a bad deal.
Also frozen burritos - less than five bucks for eight of them, two make a meal.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
Other than buying something for my grand children, I stopped participating in most holidays. I used to get real depressed over them but then I decided I had a choice in it. The colder weather, (gloomy, rainy, and cold), of TN gets to me around Christmas. I miss Florida every winter and seeing blue skies but it isn't really Christmas that makes me sad.... it's this gloomy weather :-)

Meeting up with other van dwellers on holidays is something I would do though. Mostly because I am a people person and love meeting new people. I think that is a great idea.
I was never going to go if I waited for someone to come with me.

Add Thank You Reply
"An autumn or winter holiday, in Quartzsite, would include the awesome company of so many wonderful and like-minded people, glorious sunrises and sunsets, plenty of good food and so much more".

Cyndi.....Now that is a holiday atmosphere I would enjoy very much. Just like minded people and warm weather :-)
I was never going to go if I waited for someone to come with me.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to SaltySeaWitch for this post:
Roadtramp (11-27-2015), vandella (11-26-2015), Marie (11-21-2015)
Hope to see you there!   Smile
 [Image: Updated%20sig%20pic.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply