Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitty Litter On The Road
Thanks for the replies

Some good ideas....

Gregg
Add Thank You Reply
(12-01-2015, 08:23 PM)Canine Wrote: I've also trained a cat to use the toilet.  ...
When I had a cat, I used wood pellets for a pellet stove. Pellets are cheap, decompose well, and lighter than clay. It also did the best at cutting odor. .... The sawdust from pellets is easier to clean and doesn't track quite as much as clay. It isn't dusty, either. ...

My cat is toilet-trained too. I thought I would have to retrain to use a top-entering litter box to fit in the car. So the cat used your toilet container too?
Add Thank You Reply
Before you leave home, use hot sauce on the cat poop. OUTDOORS, as sometimes it comes back up.

If you change from cat litter to pellets, get the smallest pellets you can find, and gradually change over from one to the other, mixing in more pellets. They do control odor better than clay, but some cats object to using them if you make the change abruptly. And they decompose when wet, if that is an issue.
Add Thank You Reply
I'm about to (reluctantly) retrain my cat to use a litter box since I won't have a toilet.
I bought a Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan that (hopefully) fits somewhere in the car.
Also, I purchased a Bokashi Pet Cycle Fermentation System.
After watching Bob's videos, I'm learning to have an even smaller carbon footprint. Though, I'm concerned that these items will take up lots of space! Confused
Add Thank You Reply
(06-27-2017, 09:07 AM)Gardenias Wrote: Also, I purchased a Bokashi Pet Cycle Fermentation System.
After watching Bob's videos, I'm learning to have an even smaller carbon footprint. Though, I'm concerned that these items will take up lots of space! Confused
In the car ?...............WHY ?

Are you composting your own waste ?
Fulltime in a Ford Transit High Roof Extended since October 2017.....Camper Conversion by me
......See Ya'll out there on the road and RTR 2018............Two Cats and a Doug
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to abnorm for this post:
Gardenias (06-28-2017)
(11-29-2015, 08:18 PM)Gregg Wrote: When we hit the road in a month in our camper, we will have two little dogs and at least one cat (depending on how many we can re-home) with us.  How do you all deal with a litter box on the road.  For those of you who have both cats and dogs, how do you keep the dogs from beating you to the cat poop?  My dogs think it's a delicacy.

All advice appreciated...

Thanks ..... Gregg

Our dog also loves Almond Roca!!  Tongue
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to PattySprinter for this post:
Gardenias (06-28-2017)
LOL...thanks a lot PattySprinter...I used to like Almond Roca...hmm...  Undecided
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gardenias for this post:
PattySprinter (06-29-2017)
(06-27-2017, 06:23 PM)abnorm Wrote: In the car ?...............WHY ?

Are you composting your own waste ?

After watching one of Bob's videos on human waste, I went down the rabbit hole reading about the different ways and means of composting both human and cat waste.
Way back while toilet training cats, I read that California prohibits flushing cat waste down the toilet, though never looked into or thought about why; and now I know that it's due to the particular pathogens found in the feces of cats.
The Bokashi fermentation system uses an anaerobic process with two buckets. After one is filled, it takes a week to ferment and the results can then be safely mixed with dirt.
I'm going to see how it goes with the cat waste, then decide if I can do it with human waste; though I'm not sure how. I'm trying this Bokashi system since I can't haul a composting toilet around in a car. I'm hoping this is a possible solution.
Add Thank You Reply
Has anyone used the cedar shavings as litter? Seems really light (and you could possibly use it in a bucket for a human toilet?) I recently bought a sifter type litter box from Walmart. Works okay, but the urine sometimes sticks a little so you need a litter box scooper still.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-28-2017, 08:54 AM)Gardenias Wrote: I'm trying this Bokashi system ........... I'm hoping this is a possible solution.

What are you going to do with the resulting "compost".........It's OK to place that in your own yard on ornamentals .........but often illegal to dump on public property

doug
Fulltime in a Ford Transit High Roof Extended since October 2017.....Camper Conversion by me
......See Ya'll out there on the road and RTR 2018............Two Cats and a Doug
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Before Taking Kitty On The Road # 1st Step The Beginning gramakittycat 2 1,691 03-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Magicwolf