Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitty Litter On The Road
It's interesting to read your post doug, because I was just wondering if with this Bokashi system, I'd been "taken" once again since it has "proprietary" ingredients. (i.e., did I really pay that much for a couple containers, and what looks like apple cider vinegar and sawdust?) Though, it's here, and I set up the litter box and will see how it step at a time.
So while camping, people pick up after their pets too like they're supposed to in the city and suburbs, and place it the trash receptacles to be sent to landfills or incinerators?
Add Thank You Reply
Not all do and even those that do, not all the time! But they should.

Let's face it, if you're out in the bush or the desert and the dog poops on the trail then it needs to be picked up and at least thrown off trail (no bag pleeeease) in to the bush. If the dog heads out in to the bush and does his/her business then no need to go to try to identify it amongst deer/moose/coyote poop.

Inside a campsite, whether it's boondocking or front country campground, then yes, pick the darn stuff up. The campsite needs to be thought of as your home, however temporary that may be. And there's always going to be a next 'tenant' who doesn't want to have to deal with your mess, no matter the source.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!
Build link:
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
Gardenias (07-01-2017)
Gardenias, since you already have the system, I was looking around online and the following link tells how to make your own inoculant (probably best made when you aren't actually traveling):

It looks fairly simple (easy for me to say), but time is also an ingredient.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
Gardenias (07-02-2017)
TrainChaser, I'd been meaning to thank you for taking the time to find and post the link to the recipes (and other helpful info!).
My cat finally used the top entry litter box instead of the toilet, which added to my work schedule...sigh...I'd been pretty spoiled! ...though I feel good doing my environmental part.
Add Thank You Reply
I had previously posted the following on another thread.

I had to suspend the Bokashi Fermentation experiment (composting cat feces). I couldn't keep up with the litter box upkeep (I don't know how people do it!). I was planning to shred the paper clutter in the house and convert it to litter, and hadn't even started that project. So for now, she continues to use the toilet until I can catch up.

I disagree that the anaerobic process is odor-free. It has a distinctive odor that I find nauseating. Though, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

My turn came up at the library for the Humanure Handbook; and I'm learning lots. (Wow...are we making a mess of our planet!)
Add Thank You Reply
any chance you have a link to that book?

(11-30-2015, 10:37 PM)compassrose Wrote: That is why the next cat got toilet trained. I bought a book off Amazon that said how to train the cat in 30 days.
Veteran's benefits:
PM me
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255
Add Thank You Reply
Humanure Handbook, free to read online:

Great book, but not suitable for van or RV living.
Add Thank You Reply
sometimesido (08-11-2017)
(11-29-2015, 11:18 PM)Patrick46 Wrote: x2

don't forget...

you're the human, and you're in control (or should be!!)

FYI pissing on a cat works wonders.

And then I had to settle for a super soaker when store ran out of squirt guns.

Great training tools, both!
Add Thank You Reply
Patrick46: "don't forget... you're the human, and you're in control"

Obviously from someone who has never had a cat...

Cats Rule
Dogs Drool
Humans Don't Have a Clue
Add Thank You Reply
Gardenias (10-01-2017)
(12-01-2015, 08:23 PM)Canine Wrote: Dogs have a pill thingy you can give them to make their poo taste yucky.

Wait a minute. To make it taste bad? You mean it tastes GOOD? How much worse can poo taste? LOL
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Chitza for this post:
mert6706 (10-03-2017), RoamingKat (10-01-2017), highdesertranger (10-01-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Before Taking Kitty On The Road # 1st Step The Beginning gramakittycat 2 1,733 03-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Magicwolf