Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative fuels
My rig runs on propane only. Less frequent oil changes, and a longer lasting engine are some of the benefits of propane. Unfortunately, the engine on mine hasn't been modified to have a higher compression ratio (due to the higher octane rating of propane), so there IS the power loss. Still and all, due to the price of propane here, I end up paying less per mile, with a considerably larger rig, than I did with my FI pickup. I'm not out to win any stop light drags and can put up with gearing down for steeper hills.

Over here, in B.C., near every small town has an LPG distributor, so it hasn't been a burden running on it. I've also got 2x 50gal tanks, so plenty of range. A friend of mine went down to AZ with her propane powered mini-schoolbus last winter and had no problems finding propane down there, and she ended up cruising down to Texas too. It's even easier now than it was, finding propane, due to the internet.

Another benefit with propane is the relative simplicity of the setup. No fuel pump(s) or all the pollution control setups. It's also pretty damned easy to convert back to gas if I wish to do so. ..Willy.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Willy for this post:
johnny b (12-05-2015), GotSmart (12-05-2015)
(12-04-2015, 11:37 PM)Gary68 Wrote: i use this unleaded gasoline stuff,it is refined from oil which is 100% natural and is made by the earth,in fact the earth is making more as we speak

I also believe in the Abiotic oil theory.

Prices could be reduced even more if we'd stop wasting resources making Ethanol for use as an oxygenate. With today's computer controlled engines and catalyst scrubbed exhaust, an oxygenate is no longer really needed. Our cars are 97% cleaner than they were 40 years ago...we have passed the point of return on investment. Just make one formula of 'regular' and one of 'Premium' for all climates and get off the 'Designer Fuel' merry go round that stresses our refining and distribution systems.

BioDiesel from waste fry oil is a good alternative fuel for those engines that can use it.....BUT...in Europe and Asia where diesels make up a much larger percentage of total vehicles, the market for clean biodiesel has resulted in the clear cutting of rain forests in the far east to grow palms for 'palm oil'. Kind of a 'rob peter to pay paul' kind of set up---destroy one ecosystem to try and help another.

Gasoline (and diesel) is clean enough, cheap enough, plentiful enough, and is the safest so far to transport and utilize as a fuel....until something better is found.

The alternatives are welcome to compete and do their part in blazing the paths to the next era of transportation. Which path wins is a toss up, but it will come eventually. And Mother Earth will survive.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe...the invention that allows its use economically will spur the next evolution....

then Warp Drive, Teleportation, etc.

Just my Humble Opinion.

BTW-- did anyone catch Jay Leno the other night (he has a car show now)?
A small company came to his garage, set up a 3D printer about as big as a van, and 'Printed' a car chassis made from a carbon fiber reinforced resin. They bolted on suspension, electric drive train, and steering wheel (that was Jay's part)....and he drove the thing out of the shop and down the street.
The 'Future' is just around the corner.
Cool
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues;
Just you wait and see.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to johnny b for this post:
GotSmart (12-06-2015)
Won't be converting my truck to propane but I am going to convert my generator. External regulator feeds to a fitting sandwiched between carb and intake port.
Allows use of either gasoline or propane once installed.
Just you wait and see.
Add Thank You Reply
For anyone interested IMPCO training manual.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Willy for this post:
eDJ_ (12-07-2015)
Things may have changed. I remember a time when some guy wanted to get propane for his propane pickup and they absolutely refused to fill it, said they were not allowed to fill a tank for vehicles. Fleets have their own tanks to fill up from so it's not a problem for them.
Peace

Add Thank You Reply
There are still places that can't fill vehicles cuz they're set up with a just POL (maybe even an ACME) filler, for barbecue tanks, and a small weigh scale. ..Willy.
Add Thank You Reply
I just filled the propane tank on the Roadtrek at a Blue Flame dealer Saturday.  He wanted to know if it was used as engine fuel or just for personal use.  I told him that it ran the refer, hot WH and the cooktop.  He asked me to pull to the other side of the little fill shed as I had parked on the side that they collected road taxes on.  Some places sell for both.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:19 PM)johnny b Wrote: Won't be converting my truck to propane but I am going to convert my generator. External regulator feeds to a fitting sandwiched between carb and intake port.
Allows use of either gasoline or propane once installed.

I plan on doing the same thing.
I looked at 3 different web/sellers/types and this is the one I thought is the best:

https://www.propanecarbs.com/honda-eu200...rsion.html
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ahh_me2 for this post:
Matlock (12-07-2015)
Same site I picked as well....I have the EU3000IS though:

https://www.propanecarbs.com/honda-eu300...rsion.html
Just you wait and see.
Add Thank You Reply
Alternate fuels sound great until you need to find some in order to fill up. Do you want to be anchored only to places where your alt fuel is available, or do you want freedom of movement?
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply