How To Re-Size a Picture
Photo 
One problem we have all the time is people posting full sized photos that are virtually unviewable. That doesn't do anybody any good so here is how to re-size a photo.

If you have Windows it came with a free program called Paint. Find it and call it up using the search function. Older versions of windows it will be under Programs and in 8 and later swipe the screen in from the right, tap "Search" and type in Paint. Pin it to the tray if you use it enough.

If you have a Mac I'm sure it came with one and would be similiar. The concepts will be the same for both.

1) Load Paint and then find the picture you want to re-size

2) Click on the "re-size" button, you can see it in this picture, I have it circled in red:

[Image: paint-resize-picture-1.jpg]

This menu below will pop up. I've circled the important ones in red. You want to resize pixels and you want to maintain the aspect ratio. For this forum 800 pixels on the long side of the picture is a good number. It's big but not too big. My blog has a narrower page so I use 640 for it. A very narrow page might call for 480. 

If it's a normal landscape oriented picture put the new number in the horizontal box. You don't need anything in the other box, it will figure it out automatically. Click OK and it will resize it, then click File and save it to your computer--you may want to rename it using the original the name plus "resized-800"

[Image: paint-resize-picture-2.jpg]
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
YaaRV (02-13-2016), KristinaKarina (12-25-2015), Spirituallifetime (12-17-2015)
My understanding was that, for in-page viewing, the attach image option here always gives a thumbnail in the post, and when using [img] tags and an outside host the forum software still limits the maximum width on the page.

But of course someone opening the image may see it full size. I always resize my images anyway because that greatly reduced the load time/bandwidth, which I feel is a courtesy to people that may be accessing the forum with limited data.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
Bob that's how I do it, thanks to the good people on this forum who showed me how. most of the time I need to cut the pixels way down. make sure when you do this you make a copy of the original pic first, then mess with the copy so you keep the original high res pic. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Starbuck (12-17-2015)
(12-17-2015, 06:44 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: make a copy of the original picture first!

Heed HDR's wise words.

Make a copy
Add Thank You Reply
If you're going to keep the original as full size, then after you've resized it as per Bob's instructions, simply click on the top left where it says 'file', choose 'save as' then save the resized picture with whatever name you want.

If you don't want two copies on your computer/laptop then simply close Paint and click on the 'save' button that will appear on screen.

I, for one, thank you Bob, for bringing this up. I can't begin to count how many times I have just clicked 'close' on a picture that is so large I have to scroll in all directions to see what I'm looking at and it's all blurry anyways because the image is so large. 800 pixels works wonderfully...it's also what I'm using on my blog so I don't have to think about what size I'm setting up pictures as.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
Is anyone still using a browser that won't scale a massive image to within the viewable pane automatically, when opened full size? This should be more about load times and bandwidth than about the image overtaking your screen. But resizing images is the best practice either way.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
(12-17-2015, 07:49 PM)TMG51 Wrote: Is anyone still using a browser that won't scale a massive image to within the viewable pane automatically, when opened full size? This should be more about load times and bandwidth than about the image overtaking your screen. But resizing images is the best practice either way.

Ummm, yes, that's why it's suggested that the pics be resized.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
I do it because this forum will not take high res pics. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
When viewing and posting from a mobile platform ie smartphone, using an app called "resize my pix" (free app) works very well. It will create a resized copy of the users size choice that will be easier to post.
In the tapatalk app, a pic taken with the phone will be too large and won't upload. When resized to 800 pixels it loads quickly and appears to be a good size to view.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Sabatical for this post:
Delta (02-18-2016)
Thanks! I have been wondering how to do this.
Peace

Add Thank You Reply