Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitch-mounted Cargo Carrier
If I am to live out of a car, it would be a great advantage to haul some of my stuff outside of the vehicle.

I looked into a roof-top carrier, but I don't want to reduce my gas mileage.

I considered pulling a tiny trailer, but don't want the hassle.

What about a hitch-mounted cargo carrier? Do any of you have experience with one of those? If I were to get an extremely aerodynamic vehicle like a Prius, I wonder if it would reduce my gas mileage.
Add Thank You Reply
My_way1,

I have pondered the same question having a Prius and I have managed to stay away from either. The Prius forum may have better feedback on mpg impact.

If I was to have a need for space I would opt for the Thule roof clamshell that opens from either side, if they make one for the Prius.

The reason for this is that the back of my Pius hatch is a very nice work space. It's how I normally access my fridge and storage under the rear floor by the spare tire. I often sit on the back hatch area. A hitch mounted anything would be in my way everyday and I think it would get old.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Oberneldon for this post:
myway_1 (12-22-2015)
(12-22-2015, 04:12 PM)Oberneldon Wrote: My_way1,

I have pondered the same question having a Prius and I have managed to stay away from either.  The Prius forum may have better feedback on mpg impact.  

If I was to have a need for space I would opt for the Thule roof clamshell that opens from either side, if they make one for the Prius.  

The reason for this is that the back of my Pius hatch is a very nice work space.  It's how I normally access my fridge and storage under the rear floor by the spare tire.  I often sit on the back hatch area.  A hitch mounted anything would be in my way everyday and I think it would get old.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com
They make a swing-away version but I only saw those for a Class II receiver hitch. Apparently small cars are limited to a Class I receiver hitch
Add Thank You Reply
Hi, yes - I also don't timber seeing a small swing-away. Also remember the low clearance of the vehicle and think about the overhang with the angle of departure. There are some steep drainage ditches that could scrape or hang on

Brent
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Oberneldon for this post:
myway_1 (12-22-2015)
(12-22-2015, 04:39 PM)myway_1 Wrote: They make a swing-away version but I only saw those for a Class II receiver hitch. Apparently small cars are limited to a Class I receiver hitch

If by Class 1 you mean those silly 1 1/4 " receivers, they make adapters to bump them up to 2 ".

http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Adapter-Carriers-Towing-Accessories/dp/B010C04CO2/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1450828532&sr=1-6&keywords=class+1+to+class+3+hitch+adapter

Just make sure you keep the weight down to what the Class 1 is rated for.

Regards
John
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-22-2015, 05:59 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: If by Class 1 you mean those silly 1 1/4 " receivers, they make adapters to bump them up to 2 ".

http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Adapter-Carriers-Towing-Accessories/dp/B010C04CO2/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1450828532&sr=1-6&keywords=class+1+to+class+3+hitch+adapter

Just make sure you keep the weight down to what the Class 1 is rated for.

Regards
John

This also moves them farther to the rear giving what is put in it more leverage to make the car squat more.  This also complicates entering and leaving anywhere there is a dip (gutter) or a sharp rise.  

You have seen the scrapes in the road around some filling stations and such haven't you?  Just putting the trailer hitch (unloaded hitch) on the back of the Roadtrek causes the hitch to scrape in some places that the Roadtrek normally doesn't (driveway).
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply
Class I and II hitches are 1 1/4". Class III are 2"

Accessories that are rated for a Class II hitch won't work with a Class I hitch even though they are both 1 1/4". The holes won't line up.

So you'd have to be sure that any adapter is specifically for a Class I hitch. Or you can cut a bit off of the end of Class II accessory to make it fit.

But I'd be leery putting any more weight than the Class I hitch is rated for if your vehicle is limited to a Class I hitch for fear that the connection point on the vehicle might bend. Problem is once you subtract the weight of the cargo rack frame and box or basket you won't have much capacity left for your cargo. Main use would be for light, bulky things. And with a car you'd need need a riser, that increased leverage and thus reduces safe cargo weight.
Add Thank You Reply
do they even make a hitch for a Prius? if the do what is the tow rating on a Prius? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(12-22-2015, 07:02 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: do they even make a hitch for a Prius?  if the do what is the tow rating on a Prius?  highdesertranger

You can put a Class I hitch on a Prius, but just for a rack, not for towing. Tongue weight limit for Class I hitch is 200 pounds. Tongue weight for a Class II hitch is 300 pounds. The swing away cargo carrier I am looking at has a max cargo weight of 175 pounds with a Class II hitch, so I suppose it would be 75 pounds if you tried to use it with a Class I hitch.
Add Thank You Reply
don't forget to include the weight of the cargo carrier. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any problem with using a Rooftop Cargo Carrier? citytravelfotos 13 8,017 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Last Post: bvanevery