Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions, please!!!
Hi,
I am new on here and right now I am not on the road---yet. I am feeling a little overwhelmed and my confidence about getting started seems to need some encouraging and HELP.

I sometimes wonder if I should just buy an cheap van, toss in an air mattresses and worry about everything else later. 

Some of the first steps I have taken is getting rid of most of my stuff. DOWNSIZING. I live in a tiny apartment, but I think its in my blood to be a nomad.

I am not that creative. When I see other peoples vans and I am in awe at the creativity, the attention to detail, the interesting little places for everything.

Please share your best tips, I want to hit the road ASAP!!!
“The Price of Anything is the Amount of Life You Exchange For It.” ~ Henry David Thoreau

Add Thank You Reply
buy a camp cot or a mattress a container for water, a camp stove of some description, a couple of cooking pots, a few dishes something to wash dishes in, a bucket and a pee bottle, have a nice trip, you can and will sort it out as you go if hitting the road is a priority, you don't need to have it all sorted, on the first day.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to flying kurbmaster for this post:
AlreadyGone (03-24-2017), FlipFlops (02-01-2016)
Yep I started with absolutely the minimum, which is a bed.
Took a bunch of travelling to build, in my mind, the perfect interior for me, then an actual spot and the funds to gut the interior and build it as I wanted.

A comfy bed is paramount in my opinion. If you don't sleep good, everything becomes harder to deal with.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to SternWake for this post:
LeeRevell (02-01-2016), FlipFlops (02-01-2016)
Like the other guys said, if you don't yet have a sense of what you need, hit the road and figure it out on the way. However don't start with an air mattress. Find a futon mattress or basically anything more insulated than air.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
FlipFlops (02-01-2016)
Cot, sleeping bag, cooler, bucket, long underwear, suitcase, toolbox, guitar (or ukulele), water jug, radio, cell phone, check book, credit card.  Thats all you need.
Its better to learn to live cheap, than it is to work and save enough money so you don't have to.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to HarmonicaBruce for this post:
FlipFlops (02-01-2016)
(01-31-2016, 07:59 PM)flying kurbmaster Wrote: buy a camp cot or a mattress a container for water, a camp stove of some description, a couple of cooking pots, a few dishes something to wash dishes in, a bucket and a pee bottle, have a nice trip, you can and will sort it out as you go if hitting the road is a priority, you don't need to have it all sorted, on the first day.

Thank you!! I think trying to figure it all out has left me frozen!!
“The Price of Anything is the Amount of Life You Exchange For It.” ~ Henry David Thoreau

Add Thank You Reply
(01-31-2016, 08:09 PM)TMG51 Wrote: Like the other guys said, if you don't yet have a sense of what you need, hit the road and figure it out on the way. However don't start with an air mattress. Find a futon mattress or basically anything more insulated than air.

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for an easy bed. I can't just have a futon mattress on the floor. I have a bum back.

Add Thank You Reply
(02-01-2016, 12:19 PM)HarmonicaBruce Wrote: Cot, sleeping bag, cooler, bucket, long underwear, suitcase, toolbox, guitar (or ukulele), water jug, radio, cell phone, check book, credit card.  Thats all you need.

HarmonicaBruce...do you think at age 50 I would be able to learn to play the guitar or ukulele? Is there really hope for me?

Smile

Add Thank You Reply
(02-01-2016, 06:46 PM)FlipFlops Wrote: HarmonicaBruce...do you think at age 50 I would be able to learn to play the guitar or ukulele? Is there really hope for me?

Smile

There is no hope whatsoever for people who play ukuleles . . .

Regards
John
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
FlipFlops (02-02-2016)
Learn the Uke, find buddies with a harmonica and bongos, ya gotta band!!  Big Grin

For the utter minimum, an air mattress works fine - NOT a problem in the cold IF you do a bit of preparation - closed cell foam pad under the air mattress, and a folded wool blanket on top of it - insulates fine down into the twenties F.  Been there, done that many times.  The dreaded "it will suck the warmth out of your body and you'll die of hypothermia in 60F" is so much bunk.  If that were true, I died ten years ago......   Dodgy
One night, outside temp was 24F., I was sleeping on my air mattress, and woke a few times sweating......   No eat other than my big hot calorie burning body.  Had I had a cat, I'd have roasted.......  

But these days, I do like a bit of bed elevation - harder to get up from the floor with my bad back.  Underfloor stowage is nice too.

Tried two different pricey self-inflator sleep pads.....   I now call them "Self-deflators".  Neither lasted a night.  My three different sized air mattresses have lasted well for years.  And I am big and fat.....  Cool
My next bed in the van, though, will be some firm foam, for comfort and not having to keep airing it up every few days.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to LeeRevell for this post:
FlipFlops (02-02-2016)