Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
refilling propane tanks - new gadget. is it worth it?
Back in the 70s when I had my candle company I actually bought a refillable 1# propane tank .
It had a hex on the pressure release valve so you could open it and stop filling when liquid escaped. It also totally fill the tank. I've looked for these but had no luck.(Probably had the patent bought and thrown behind a file cabinet by one of the disposable co's)....skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

The disposable ones won't fill all the way but you can do the first fill and put them in a freezer for a while then fill again to get closer to full.

As HDR said it's illegal to transport a refilled disposable so it's a good idea to only travel with empties !

A better idea might be to use the big tank and an adapter hose .
(If you do shut off the big tank first and let the device use up the gas in the hose.)
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
If I have a bulk tank, why would I need the small cans?
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
I know , right?
But you need a big one to fill the little ones.....unless you have a friend with a 20#er.
Stay Tuned
popeye

12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

Add Thank You Reply
I don't think it's a good idea to refill them.  If you're using enough of them that refilling them actually saves you money why not just use a bulk tank and adapter to begin with?  

Unless you really know what you're doing I think it's downright dangerous.  Plus if illegal to transport why risk it?  Lots will say how would they know? They wouldn't until someone is killed by one, then they'll do the digging and if/when they do find out it's going to be a lot more expensive than the $2 bucks you saved.  

Just ask this guy who killed his wife refilling one.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06...explosion/

Here's a 1 lb refillable tank on Ebay.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REFILLABLE-1...3641.l6368

And the specs on it from the company that makes them
http://www.mantank.com/green/refillable.htm
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
Diesel4Life (08-13-2016)
that is why I very rarely do it. I have a bulk tank so why do I need to fill the small ones. the most recent reason was I needed to use a propane torch. I didn't even fill the smaller tank 1/4 and burned all the propane out when done. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
X2 HDR^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stay Tuned
popeye

Add Thank You Reply
I'll call you guys next winter to carry my 20 lb propane tank 1/4 mile out onto a lake   Big Grin 

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply
Spiff, You can go on filling yours. I don't think I will be parked or driving next to you out on the lake. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
Ditto on the why carry both, but the lanterns are easier to use with a small one.

I put a 6" hose on the lantern sometimes and connect it to the tree on the top of my propane tank. This way I can hang it on a tree, or EZ-UP instead of having it basically at eye level on top of the propane tank tree.

These things are so cheap, why bother refilling them anyway. Not worth blowing yourself up.
-Zonie
Still Workin...
Add Thank You Reply
(08-01-2016, 07:35 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: Unless you really know what you're doing I think it's downright dangerous. 

July 29, 2013 near Tavares Florida a Blue Rhino refilling plant blew up.  Seven injured on-site, flying tanks went beyond the company's fence with only property damage off-site.  This place refills 20 pound tanks.  They know how to do it. 

Accidents happen when people are involved.  They refilled for years before and 3 years since with no explosion.

If you follow a list of instructions but don't understand you can't tell when things are going wrong.  I tried to teach my father in law to read e-mail.  He was motivated.  He had e-mails sent to him and wanted to read them.  As I showed him he took notes.  After finishing I suggested that he try it.  When he got the e-mail inbox open there was no e-mail there he had no idea what to do next because he didn't understand.  He skipped ahead to the last step and turned off the outlet strip that powered the computer.

So, one pound or twenty, it's the same.  Accidents happen.  If you don't understand what you are doing you do the wrong thing and make things bad.  That's different from an accident.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply