Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Gasification
Last fall, I realized I can not afford the kind of travel I deserve and desire, running on gas. I knew about woodgasification for over a year at that point. I could not afford to work on cracking water in overunity any longer and hinge my travels on that (overunity: more energy out than in, which IS possible). So I realized I needed a non-supressed fuel source, and I came to woodgasification.

Burning Man 2015 is my LAST trip running on gas. I will be running on wood by the start of June, 2016; intime for EDC Las Vegas 2016. Woodgas is not free energy, it's cheap energy. How I define cheap is money AND time cost.

I can sell an hour of my time at minimum wage and buy 4 gallons of gas at 2.10 a gallon, and go 35 miles with it. The gas tank on the van is 35 gallons, I would have to sell 9 hours of my time at minimum wage to fill the tank. That 35 gallons of gas takes then van and me 250 miles.

Wood is cheaper than gas, accounting for all processing costs in both money and time. Say it takes me 2 hours roundtrip to pick up 1000 pounds of wood, then 7 hours to process it. At 2 pounds a mile, that 1000 pounds of wood takes me 500 miles. I just "sold" 9 hours of my time working for myself, to pick up and process wood that takes the van and me 500 miles. These numbers may not be accurate since I haven't processed wood yet.

The thing I LOVE about wood, is the fuel doesn't need a billion dollar refinery to make usable or a hyperspecialized storage medium. Which means it's compatible after this paridigm collapses. The waste heat could be utilized to take hot showers, heat a home, and heat the hot side of an absorbtion based fridge (it takes heat to get cold). The gas itself is a viable substitute to propane, butane, and was even piped into homes and burned like natural gas is today. Out of all the alternative fuels, woodgas is the most flexible and resillient. The fuel grows nearly everywhere, and woodgas is carbon neutral for the eco-freaks.

Am I going to be the first vandweller to be running on wood?
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Don't waste lifes precious time adorning your coffin, with diamonds. 
Add Thank You Reply
I thought reruns were just on tv. Am I going to be the first vandweller to be running on wood? I doubt that anyone will be first.
                                                     East of the Sun   West of the Moon
Add Thank You Reply
(02-10-2016, 10:38 PM)debit.servus Wrote: Am I going to be the first vandweller to be running on wood?

If you get out of the driveway with it and report back, you will be.

Best of luck.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
gcal (02-14-2016)
Does anybody know anyone who is running on wood today?

Also, I plan to try out a kickstarter campaign for people to help me run on wood. 99% of people don't know about woodgasification, how to describe woodgasification to people who know nothing about it in one to two paragraphs? Is it ethical to paraphrase articles from driveonwood.com (not straight plagurizing)?

A "Common Myths and Misperceptions" segment helps to, what are some Common Myths and Misperceptions that people use to detract woodgas???

What would be some good perks to offer to backers?
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Don't waste lifes precious time adorning your coffin, with diamonds. 
Add Thank You Reply
Wood gas is EXTREMELY flammable, we run our machine off of it. The problem is, if you are using normal size wood, your combustion chamber would be huge. We use wood chips but then you would need to find a way to dry them. You can chip trees to burn but the trees need to be dead for about a year or so with less then 20 % moisture content.

I know what you want to do and it can be done, it does work. You could make a wood gas burning generator if done correctly too. My concern is the practicality of it.

I would love to see you do it because I only know of demonstration units so far. I don't want to be that "d!ck" that tells you not to do it but this is what I do for a living.

If you want to talk about this more, let me know. I'm not a hater.... (I hate my self right now)

John
Add Thank You Reply
(02-11-2016, 12:29 AM)Konaexpress... (I hate my self right now) Wrote: John
So it would seem.
Add Thank You Reply
I burn orphaned wood for heat and would be surprised to be able to leave home and return in two hours with 1,000 pounds of wood. Your expectation might be over optimistic.

Don't forget to include the added hours of your time necessary on a daily basis to run this system as compared to just turning the key. That is just as  significant as the gathering/processing of the wood stock.

I am curious about the process of using wood for fuel and would like to know more...
1: Are just certain types of wood suitable?
2: What is involved in "processing" the wood? Will you use a chipper or do it by hand?
3: What is involved with a "cold start"? Such as driving to work in the morning. How long to get going?
4: How far will the rig travel on one charge of wood?
5: When one charge is depleted what is the process to load a new charge? How long of an interruption before continuing down the road?
6: Is there necessary routine cleaning that must be done. If so, how often?

Have you come up with an estimate of cost to build this system with trailer and the conversion of your van? Also any estimate of number of hours to complete?

I know you have posted at length on this subject before, have you made any physical progress on the project? If you have started construction and can post some pictures it will add some legitimacy to your claims.

I am looking forward to following progress on this build. Get cracking, the clock is ticking, four months till Vegas!

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
(02-10-2016, 11:46 PM)debit.servus Wrote: Also, I plan to try out a kickstarter campaign for people to help me run on wood.

Knock me over with a feather!! I was thinking you had found a job to finance your project. Wouldn't it be easier to get a kickstarter campaign to buy your gas?

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
GotSmart (02-12-2016), gcal (02-11-2016)
(02-11-2016, 08:08 AM)gsfish Wrote: I burn orphaned wood for heat and would be surprised to be able to leave home and return in two hours with 1,000 pounds of wood. Your expectation might be over optimistic.

Don't forget to include the added hours of your time necessary on a daily basis to run this system as compared to just turning the key. That is just as  significant as the gathering/processing of the wood stock.

I am curious about the process of using wood for fuel and would like to know more...
1: Are just certain types of wood suitable?
2: What is involved in "processing" the wood? Will you use a chipper or do it by hand?
3: What is involved with a "cold start"? Such as driving to work in the morning. How long to get going?
4: How far will the rig travel on one charge of wood?
5: When one charge is depleted what is the process to load a new charge? How long of an interruption before continuing down the road?
6: Is there necessary routine cleaning that must be done. If so, how often?

Have you come up with an estimate of cost to build this system with trailer and the conversion of your van? Also any estimate of number of hours to complete?

I know you have posted at length on this subject before, have you made any physical progress on the project? If you have started construction and can post some pictures it will add some legitimacy to your claims.

I am looking forward to following progress on this build. Get cracking, the clock is ticking, four months till Vegas!

Guy

Probably a lot easier to run on grass and brush. All you need is a good mule. He will do the processing, himself.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gcal for this post:
VJG1977 (02-13-2016), gsfish (02-11-2016)
(02-11-2016, 07:16 PM)gcal Wrote: Probably a lot easier to run on grass and brush. All you need is a good mule. He will do the processing, himself.

And there is no danger of sparks.
Add Thank You Reply