Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Gasification
hahahaha no sparks. but you would have a methane generator. then you could run your vehicle off of methane. put one end of the hose in the air intake and the other end in...... oh never mind. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
WheelEstate USA (02-12-2016), cyndi (02-12-2016)
(02-11-2016, 08:08 AM)gsfish Wrote: I burn orphaned wood for heat and would be surprised to be able to leave home and return in two hours with 1,000 pounds of wood. Your expectation might be over optimistic.

Don't forget to include the added hours of your time necessary on a daily basis to run this system as compared to just turning the key. That is just as  significant as the gathering/processing of the wood stock.

I am curious about the process of using wood for fuel and would like to know more...
1: Are just certain types of wood suitable?
2: What is involved in "processing" the wood? Will you use a chipper or do it by hand?
3: What is involved with a "cold start"? Such as driving to work in the morning. How long to get going?
4: How far will the rig travel on one charge of wood?
5: When one charge is depleted what is the process to load a new charge? How long of an interruption before continuing down the road?
6: Is there necessary routine cleaning that must be done. If so, how often?

Have you come up with an estimate of cost to build this system with trailer and the conversion of your van? Also any estimate of number of hours to complete?

I know you have posted at length on this subject before, have you made any physical progress on the project? If you have started construction and can post some pictures it will add some legitimacy to your claims.

I am looking forward to following progress on this build. Get cracking, the clock is ticking, four months till Vegas!

Guy

A lot of your questions are answered in the below linked article:

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/w...-cars.html

The last paragraph is very interesting.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to 29chico for this post:
gsfish (02-12-2016), Konaexpress (02-12-2016)
Am I a hater??? No.

Do I think this could work?? Possibly.

but do I see this as a practical way to run a rig?? Absolutely Not!

Yeah, it could possibly work. I've never seen one work in person, nor have I ever seen a video of one working...which I think would help sell me on the idea.

and you also think it's possible to gather #1000 of wood in 2 hours??? Well...then I'd like to hire you to collect firewood for my home!

To me...it's just not a practical way to run a rig. Especially out on the road, where raw materials are harder to find.
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better!" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Patrick46 for this post:
highdesertranger (02-12-2016), Konaexpress (02-12-2016)
At $5 a bundle (handful)  in the southwest, with the CA border inspection stations~~~  Give me gasoline any day.  $1.45 is a high price today in the central US.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
(02-12-2016, 10:10 AM)29chico Wrote: A lot of your questions are answered in the below linked article:

That is a good article and thanks for it. Wood gas burns great and is a wonderful thing but only in some situations. It takes many, many man hours to run a machine off of it. Trust me, I know first hand.

Now if you had a cabin in the woods? You could heat your house, cook and make all the hot water you want.

About the only thing wood gas would be good for in the van living world would be for cooking and making hot water. You would be surprised how little wood you need to cook with if done correctly. I'm talking sticks and twigs in a modified quart size can and you get boiling water in about two minutes. Nice!

John
Add Thank You Reply
If you don't mind a few extra pounds in your rig, you could build a small rocket stove from steel pipe. Those dang things get supper hot so never use it inside! Great wood stoves though. Sticks and twigs.....

John
Add Thank You Reply
(02-12-2016, 10:10 AM)29chico Wrote: A lot of your questions are answered in the below linked article:

Yes, very good article. Thanks for the tip. That last paragraph pretty much sums it up.

It seems that wood gas reduces power by about 50% thus limiting speed. All the waiting for the thing to warm up, stopping to clean out, reload and wait again while traveling and cleaning would turn a long distance trip into a nightmare for anyone not part of the church of gasification.

This whole system seems better suited to a stationary, constant speed application like a pump or generator.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
GotSmart (02-12-2016), Konaexpress (02-12-2016)
I think the key here is the unknown that I haven't seen an explanation of... Exactly where and how is this cheap/free wood going to be obtained in sufficient quantity, in so many areas of travel. And how much is it going to cost in money and/or time to process this elusive wood before it is ready for use.

Without those facts available, and verifiable, this seems like a really foolish notion, since we're talking about huge quantities of wood to do any amount of traveling.

People turned to this method when gas became unavailable. As soon as gas became available again, everyone switched back. It seems to me that if it all that good, or saves all that money, that the majority would have kept using it.

I also noticed mention that to make wood gas a viable option, all of the gas stations were converted to wood stations, and the governments had a hand in producing the needed wood/charcoal.
Add Thank You Reply
I have tried to explain the wood collecting situation before but it fell on deaf ears. out west in the forests you are only allowed to collect dead and down wood(no chainsaws are permitted) and only for your own personal campfire. if you want to cut large amounts of fire wood you need a permit(cost money). then you will run into transporting the wood outside of the area it was collected, a big no no. in the desert forget it no wood collecting at all. so we will see, I say it's a pipe dream. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
gcal (02-14-2016), VJG1977 (02-13-2016), cyndi (02-13-2016)
^
Thank you for this, and I do remember...  I can forsee many difficulties with his plan, which is why I wanted him to explain his plan on this.  I feel like this is a make it or break it point, that may not have been thoroughly enough researched by him.

Upon doing a little research on this, I also noticed that the people doing it today are using raw wood chunks, and it appears that during WWII when this was popular, they concluded that charcoal briquettes achieved the best performance.  I would be curious to see a little comparison for this discrepancy too.

Rather than being told of it's supposed virtues, I would like to see better information on whether or not it is actually practical.  While many things are POSSIBLE, many fewer of those things are practical or cost effective...
Add Thank You Reply