Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Unlimited Verizon 3G $5 a month
I found a few places on the internet and $40 is common .
Since I like to DIY - Do It Yourself , I am looking into what it takes ?
More equipment & software ?
Have not gatherede enough info yet , to post doing it myself .
I did find I can buy the correct SIM card from Walmart for $5 .
But have also seen claims I could get a free SIM card from Verizon , have to stop by a store to ask .
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John TF for this post:
galladanb (01-07-2018)
hi i just bought the flashed novatel mifi 4510L to verizon 5 dollar plan 2 free months for 70 bucks.  so do i need to do anything to get it working.  for some reason i think i have to also go out and buy a sim card or something?  no?  

anyway i cant wait to try it.  got a friend that cant afford more than 5 a month for internet, just fixed up an old dell laptop running dual boot vista and peppermint os linux.  Was hopeing that is all i had to buy was the hotspot for now.  i can just goto that website and pay i guess when its time.
Add Thank You Reply
You will connect to it with a laptop, then log in to the administration menu by typing in 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. Your vendor should have given you an administrative password, which is often "admin". Change the wifi name and wifi password to whatever you want. That is all you have to do.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to skyl4rk for this post:
galladanb (01-07-2018), breaker1nine (01-02-2018)
so do i need to do anything to get it working.

After you charge it make sure you unplug it from the charger before you turn it on. After it boots and connects you can plug it back in. I tried to turn mine on while it was plugged in and I couldn't get it to work. I thought it was defective. The instructions were very vague..
Bob
'02 Dodge Ram Ext 15 passenger Van 3500
 St Pete Florida

"Let's motorvate"   -Stephen King
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to MotorVation for this post:
galladanb (01-07-2018), breaker1nine (01-04-2018), Peterson (01-03-2018)
(01-02-2018, 04:25 PM)skyl4rk Wrote: You will connect to it with a laptop, then log in to the administration menu by typing in 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. Your vendor should have given you an administrative password, which is often "admin".  Change the wifi name and wifi password to whatever you want.  That is all you have to do.
You do not need to change the wifi name (SSID) or password. Just turn it on and connect to it. You will be prompted for the password. Enter the password that the vendor provided.
Tom

Minneapolis, MN

2005 Born Free 24RB
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Tom_M for this post:
theinfamousj (01-04-2018)
I would suggest doing a PRL update to teach the hotspot the towers in the area. I do it for each of mine with every new area I am in.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
OK, I'm gonna have to do a "Hey Goo Goo" to find out what the heck that is...???

Aw! Here ya go...
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/k...ase-45250/
Thx, Dan'l
Big plans, Mini budget!!!
Check out my build here: Sophia's Hauler
And on Fakebook, look for us at: @Sophias.Hauler
Add Thank You Reply
(01-04-2018, 11:07 AM)jimindenver Wrote: I would suggest doing a PRL update to teach the hotspot the towers in the area. I do it for each of mine with every new area I am in.

Is that not automatic when you power down and power back up again ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
Hope this info is useful...

I had looked these as I was choosing which one to buy...

5510L Users Guide
http://www.nvtl.com/files/4513/6218/1792...an2013.pdf

4510l users guide
http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/mifi...manual.pdf

4620l users guide
http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/vzw_...manual.pdf
Thx, Dan'l
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to galladanb for this post:
John TF (01-08-2018)
(01-02-2018, 10:29 PM)MotorVation Wrote: so do i need to do anything to get it working.

After you charge it make sure you unplug it from the charger before you turn it on. After it boots and connects you can plug it back in. I tried to turn mine on while it was plugged in and I couldn't get it to work. I thought it was defective. The instructions were very vague..

Hey Mr. Moto...

I saw a u tube and it mentioned this issue. It also seemed to only apply to the early 
(pre 2011) versions, and that there was a firmware update for the issue. The video also suggested a sub cord hack to bypass the issue...

https://youtu.be/q3h4dlY56y8
Thx, Dan'l
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Verizon 3G MiFi Unlimited $5 a month Jeanne Temple 12 416 01-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Last Post: B and C
  Unlimited Sprint LTE for $14 a month. jimindenver 59 8,562 01-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Last Post: RMtnMik
  Unlimited AT&T $20 a month jimindenver 238 17,103 12-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: John61CT