Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My van camper
Astros have 170 cubic feet behind the front seats; Vanagons have 200 ft 3.

Astros were vans, but smaller, in contrast to the Chrysler car-based minivans.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ascii_man for this post:
Campor99 (03-01-2016)
I don't want to hijack C99's thread so can all you Astro/Safari users start a new thread with your photos and thoughts on one vs another?

Thanks!
John
Add Thank You Reply
(03-01-2016, 11:29 AM)Konaexpress Wrote: Are they front wheel drive or what? With all those windows, people could turn those puppy's into the modern day vanigan. Smile Start a new modern movement. "Viva La (insert something cool)"!

John

All 4 wheels drive when the rear wheels start slipping, dont know how it works but it does, Sec,s say the front kicks in and adds
35% traction add to rear wheels. Am still trying to find out other issues, but I ve never hung up in snow, ice or other situations.
Add Thank You Reply
(03-01-2016, 12:00 PM)Konaexpress Wrote: I don't want to hijack C99's thread so can all you Astro/Safari users start a new thread with your photos and thoughts on one vs another?

Thanks!
John

I'm a newby, don't know how to start a thread! Willing to learn system!
Add Thank You Reply
(03-01-2016, 11:51 AM)ascii_man Wrote: Astros have 170 cubic feet behind the front seats; Vanagons have 200 ft 3.

Astros were vans, but smaller, in contrast to the Chrysler car-based minivans.
I traveled in Jimmy, tiny for over 18 mos, was great but Astro/Safari are really comfortable, have full bunk and
space for frig/freezer, plenty of space below bunk on driver side. and cargo using a bumper carrier.
Add Thank You Reply
(03-01-2016, 07:22 PM)Campor99 Wrote: I'm a newby, don't know how to start a thread! Willing to learn system!

IN the main "Van" topic area, look over to the right and click on the Post topic, New thread, New post button or whatever's hey named it. This will pull up the editor, put a name for the new thread in the subject box and then put what you want to say down in the main message box. Smile

John
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Konaexpress for this post:
Nissi (10-21-2017)
(03-01-2016, 11:33 AM)TequilaSunSet Wrote: AWD or RWD... and many of us vanagon owners have made the switch at a far cheaper overall costBig Grin Tongue

You have a option they were made AWD/RWD so do your study. Took me a couple of weeks to find AWD in my area, had 163k on truck
It has the mighty little 4.3 engine which will run forever if taken care of, My Jimmy with same has 315K burns 1 qt per 1500 miles.
Add Thank You Reply
well you started this thread, so you must know how to start a thread. about your van I would put some good hard thought into putting a lift on it. I advise against putting lift kits on independent suspension vehicles. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Campor99 (03-02-2016)
(03-01-2016, 08:50 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: well you started this thread,  so you must know how to start a thread.  about your van I would put some good hard thought into putting a lift on it.  I advise against putting lift kits on independent suspension vehicles.  highdesertranger
Thanks for information, What problems does it cause, I've been told that the 2"lift doesn't even need to have the front end realigned. Hope to hear back from you.
Add Thank You Reply
If you are living or traveling in van, leave a pix of your rig here and say hello, maybe this tread will be a place for many
travelers and folks with wander lust.

Attached is photo of Camp site at Lighting creek in British Columbia last July, free camping had many berry pickers at campground

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Campor99 for this post:
HoboJoe (03-22-2016)