Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False Starts
Last post was Supposed to start with satellite!
Add Thank You Reply
I too am stuck for a bit, one for health reasons, although I seem to be on the tail end of that. Got an extremely rare case of Lyme disease that landed me on crutches at 32 and needed them for a few years. Got another few months of anti biotic and other treatments I need to stick around for. Then my other two problems, which actually are good problems are I have two houses that need to sell. Inherited a percentage of a house my grandparents owned with my brothers and cousins which is going on the market this spring and have a house in Maine to finish some work on and sell. Although, they are kind of a hassle, they should give me a good cushion to hit the road on once they are finally sold. I'm hoping this fall, but def plan on being at the 2017 RTR. Traveling by vehicles isn't new to me. I already know i love it. I've done trips in my van to Sturgis for the motorcycle rally, Glacier National Park, Yosemite, Boulder Co & Telluride, Key West, Pacific Coast Highway, Outer Banks NC, upper penninsula in Michigan and up down and all around New England. Longest trip to date has been about two months. But lots of these were back to back, only coming home for a week or two in between. Once I initially hit the road I couldn't stop, it's quite addicting, however the Lyme disease stopped me in my tracks! Shopping for my next vehicle as we speak.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
You aren't the only one feeling stuck by circumstances! I started planning my great escape back in 2006. I had finally talked hubby into getting a camper and wintering in FL. He had an old work pal in a campground down there and we left Kentucky and headed down for the winter. It was a great time for me but not so much for hubby. I want to be outside all the time and also love to stay busy and he was a couch potato. We went to FL three winters and I wasn't going to be able to talk him into any longer trips.

The fourth winter was coming and my mother's hubby came down with cancer so I needed to stay back and help her. When he passed I started gearing up to at least leave for the winter as that was about all hubby could stand.

He was a musician by trade and one day on stage started coughing while singing and it was bloody. A trip to the Dr and an X-ray confirmed our worse fears. It was lung cancer from long years of smoking. He had quit several years before when we met but it was already too late. There went any hopes of traveling. Radiation, chemo, etc. sapped the life out of him and the cancer only grew. He passed within a couple of years.

I started gearing myself up to go again. I wanted to get rid of the big camper and buy one of those small fiberglass ones and did. It needed work and that was taking a bit of time.

I sold off a 100 acre parcel we had as a hunting spot for him and paid off all bills and bought a few things.

One day I went to bed and woke up in the morning and was unable to walk almost at all. My back was killing me! I found out I had a couple of blown disks and was having severe spasms. Over the space of a year in bed and going to every kind of Dr imaginable I figured that was it for me. I moved my niece and her hubby across the country and they moved in with me to care for me, the house and property (I'm on about 14 acres and there was no way I was doing anything).

I finally found, thru a friend, a Dr that could burn the nerves in your back; a simple procedure done in the office. It worked!!!!! I still wasn't up to snuff but I was able to start walking without a walker. Things were looking good for my great escape!

My niece was here so I could just leave the house and not even have to go thru the hassle of selling! Things were really looking up! I was on cloud nine!

I started planning again. I decided hitching up a camper and all that entailed might be a bit much so I wanted to sell my campers and get a class B.

I needed a hysterectomy and decided I'd go ahead and take care of that before I headed out. I chose to go to a big hospital with a good rep even though it was a couple of hours away. I went in on a Thursday AM, my sis with me. While still on the operating table, the robot arms still inside me, someone made the decision to tilt the table in an upright position. They neglected to have me tied and secured to the table and off I went. I landed on the floor but my feet were still up in the stirrups. I had a terrible twist and fall which broke my left femur in four or five places. I stayed in the hospital for a week although I remember very little.

The hospital then decided to Bill me for cobbling my leg back together. Needless to say either I fork out about $300,000 or I sue. I got a super lawyer of course.

So I had yet another setback. The hysterectomy surgery was this last July. After an extensive stay in a crappy, nasty nursing home I came home. It's been a long recovery and I'm now allowed to use a walker to get around. With physical therapy I've grown stronger but have a long way to go. I decided that as soon as my case is over and I can pump gas I'm buying a Class B and I'm outta here. I had almost made it to the point I think I could pump gas (with difficulty) when the Wednesday before last I was outside in my gravel drive when a sudden jolt of pain hit the broken leg (it happens a lot). I buckled and tried to right myself but my walker (on wheels) had other ideas and went the other way. Down I went landing on my butt hard and my back just screamed. Couldn't catch my breath for awhile. My niece and her hubby got me up and in bed.
The next day I knew I had to have an X-ray. Sure enough, a compression fracture. I'm back at the drawing board yet again but still determined.

Don't feel like you are the only one with setbacks

Oh yeah, with the inactivity and depression did I mention u gained about one million pounds that I will have to take off?
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
@Cammalu: yeow!  That's awful.  I hope your lawyer can not only get the bill waived but get a settlement.

I'm sure some malpractice claims are spurious (the professionals did the best they did the best they could and sometimes people die).  But what happened to you was gross incompetence, like an airline pilot taking off for an overseas destination with empty tanks.
Add Thank You Reply
(03-27-2016, 11:43 AM)ascii_man Wrote: @Cammalu: yeow!  That's awful.  I hope your lawyer can not only get the bill waived but get a settlement.

I'm sure some malpractice claims are spurious (the professionals did the best they did the best they could and sometimes people die).  But what happened to you was gross incompetence, like an airline pilot taking off for an overseas destination with empty tanks.

This lawyer doesn't work small cases. I don't like people who sue for any little thing either but, in this case, it's absolutely warranted. What's really scary is that he told me things like this happen all the time.....

I'm going to bounce back, I always do. What the worst thing is when I find myself wallowing in self pity. I have to slap myself out it
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply