Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Photo Editor for Mac
I'm migrating from Windows XP to MacBook/Yosemite and need a good photo editor.  I currently use Photoshop on XP, but was wondering if there is something better/cheaper/easier to use for the mac.

Any ideas?  I don't go wild with editing; mostly cropping, color and light balance, and eliminating blemishes from pictures.

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply
I thought that one of the reasons that a Mac was supposed to be worth three times the price of a PC in the first place was because of it's photo software. Maybe that has changed, I'm about a decade behind on this stuff.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
Check out GraphicConverter.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to RVTravel for this post:
Spaceman Spiff (03-27-2016)
Look for "Gimp for Mac" in the googler. This should take you to a Mac centric version of Gimp. A bit behind photo shop and the interface is a bit different but it is totally free and open source. Dang good software and has a metric ton of tutorials on the web for it.

John

EDIT: Try this Gimp for Mac
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Konaexpress for this post:
I second the suggestion to try out GIMP, if you want to ditch those pesky subscriptions fees on Adobe products. If you already bought an older copy of Photoshop though (CS3, CS6, etc.) I would personally just keep using that, but it sounds like you're using CC now. Photoshop is design industry standard, but GIMP is more than capable for most people's needs.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Journey for this post:
I used Photoshop professionally ever since it existed, so I got Photoshop Elements 11 when I downsized to a laptop. I still miss a couple of capabilities (and having three monitors and several terabytes of storage), but I'll survive.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
MrNoodly:  Elements on windows or mac?  If you have used both; is editing pictures the same on both platforms?

Konaexpress, Journey: I'll have to check out GIMP.  Thanks

RVtravel:  I'll check out GraphicConverter.  Thanks.

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply
(03-27-2016, 08:57 AM)Spaceman Spiff Wrote: MrNoodly:  Elements on windows or mac?  If you have used both; is editing pictures the same on both platforms?

Konaexpress, Journey: I'll have to check out GIMP.  Thanks

RVtravel:  I'll check out GraphicConverter.  Thanks.

-- Spiff

On a Mac. When I started using graphics programs, PCs were using MSDOS and just had business apps. So I've stuck with Macs rather than adjust to different ways of doing things. The Windows versions of Adobe products work pretty much the same Mac versions, with the interface adapted for the peculiarities of Windows.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
Spaceman Spiff (03-28-2016)
You may want to look into the Photographer's Bundle from Adobe depending on your budget. It's the Creative Cloud subscription versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop CC for $9.99 a month. As long as your subscription is up to date you'll always have the latest versions of both. 

http://www.adobe.com/ca/creativecloud/photography.html

As an avid photographer I can't recommend Lightroom enough for general editing, organization and with the right plugins, publishing your work to social media with just a few clicks, saving the need for an extra resized version cluttering your hard drive. When I first (finally) got on the Lightroom bandwagon I kicked myself hard for not doing it a lot sooner. 

Good luck,
Wayne
"Our home is not a house"
Add Thank You Reply
I love Pixelmator, I think I paid $25. years ago, I keep getting upgrades free too!
Add Thank You Reply