Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some of my favorite places around San Diego (picture heavy!)
This is such good stuff I'll make it a sticky!
Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
(04-13-2016, 10:57 PM)akrvbob Wrote: This is such good stuff I'll make it a sticky!
Bob

Well now, I feel honored. Big Grin Hopefully this helps people down the line then.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
pizzalady (04-17-2017)
(04-13-2016, 07:25 PM)TMG51 Wrote: Glad you guys find it useful, happy to help.

What great info! We have been hoping to find places like you have posted to bring winter relief from the long, damp, wet winters in the Pacific Northwest. Can't wait to try them out.
RealSpur
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks for sharing these locations. I'm in San Diego right now and will probably be here 1-2 months. I've seen a couple of those spots already and will probably check out the others :-D
Add Thank You Reply
IF in a target or lowes lot does that exclude harrasment from the police? in which case i suppose they can tow you while your sleeping but they cant give a ticket in private lot. Is that what the law is? San diego is really beautiful...the thing I missed when I went was it was a dead city scene compared to even orlando never mind miami or NYC. I did go in the winter maybe that was the reason. I saw so many van dwellers and rv dwellers in sand diego I felt bad for them because it was before I saw the u tube videos and this site...now I envy them.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-13-2016, 01:56 AM)TMG51 Wrote: Part 2 of 2

**Note that each of the below images contains a street address / GPS coordinates to the referenced location. Click to see the picture full size. **

Some random empty road, Oceanside
This was a drive-in theater which was abandoned, and became a swap meet. The road in question just happens to be vacant and no one cares about it.
+Great place to get away without leaving the city.
+No one cares what you do here.
+All sorts of wildlife, rabbits, big birds (heron?), coyotes at night.
+I think the decaying industrial stuff from the old drive in looks cool in the distance.
+Cemetery nearby with access to water.
- / + Not sure what it's like when the swap meet is taking place, I've never been there during.

[Image: hZidns4.jpg]

Update: This location is no longer viable. I just got a $58 ticket for staying there last night. Previously, I've stayed there for days at a time without issue. But now they're renovating the area, taking down the old industrial-looking stuff (a negative in my eye) and paying more attention to the street. So, I can't recommend anyone park here without risk.
Add Thank You Reply
Excellent. I'll have to make some printouts for quick reference.

Too bad I didn't see this before paying mucho bucks for a state campground just down the road from your Carlsbad location.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Since I'm kind of familiar with Oceanside Harbor I went to Street View for your location and had to chuckle because there was a cop car parked there.

The sea lions there will sometimes bark all night long.
Add Thank You Reply
I'm at the Imperial Beach site right now. The estuary looks much nicer/greener than the satellite shot. It's a Sunday, so most of the parking spaces are taken, but I think there will be more choice toward evening. There are also lots of streets in Imperial Beach with unrestricted parking. Just pay attention to the curb colors. Red = no parking, green = limited time. Go for the unpainted curbs.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
Oberneldon (04-16-2017), Iggy (04-16-2017)
(04-16-2017, 03:06 PM)MrNoodly Wrote: I'm at the Imperial Beach site right now. The estuary looks much nicer/greener than the satellite shot. It's a Sunday, so most of the parking spaces are taken, but I think there will be more choice toward evening. There are also lots of streets in Imperial Beach with unrestricted parking. Just pay attention to the curb colors. Red = no parking, green = limited time. Go for the unpainted curbs.

Glad you're enjoying! There's also a Mexican grocery store around the corner from that lot with good deals on produce, spices etc. I'm in OB currently, mingling with the hippy folk.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good places in San Diego Iggy 28 8,227 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Last Post: deadwood
  Brief writeup of my favorite places in Fernandina Beach. TMG51 10 1,253 03-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Last Post: skyl4rk