Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stopped with guns in vehicle [was: Another gun thread]
I've just got a couple quick questions regarding being stopped with guns in the vehicle.

I've been pulled over 3 times in my life, and every time I've been asked if I have any alcohol/drugs/guns with me.

I have a CPL for Michigan which is valid in most states I'll be traveling in, so that's not my concern.  I'll have more guns inside my camper.  I know it can vary state by state, but from my understanding, as long as the guns are stored in a case not in a cabin, and separate from any ammo it's legal.

That brings me to the question, do I have to declare them when asked if I have any guns? I recall reading that you only have to answer questions that are regarding the reason for the stop.  

I'm planning on reading through the federal laws and state laws of states I'll be traveling but I know you can transport guns in all states as long as stored correctly, and I'm hoping to have what I understand from the laws verified by you guys.
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 pulling a 1996 21 foot StarCraft
Adventure begins in May
23 years old, from Michigan
Add Thank You Reply
In some states, you are required, by law, to inform any LEO who stops you if you are carrying a concealed handgun.  I believe these states wrote it into law when they wrote their CCW laws - it's a condition of carrying a concealed weapon.

Go to:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

And check on any state you are interested in.  It's right on the top of the state page:  "Must Inform Officer By Law"  followed either by a YES or NO.  There will be more information further down the page.

If I remember correctly, there are about 10 or 12 states that have this requirement.

There is also a section on each page on "RV/car carry without a permit/license"

BTW, you're from Michigan?  You're not aware that MI requires you to disclose to any cop who stops you?
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
Ballenxj (12-23-2017), LeeRevell (05-04-2016)
I know the conceal carry laws for Michigan, the question was directed about the stored guns in the camper. I couldn't find the part for rv transportation though.

I recall a story from the guy who instructed my CPL class told us a story that a man carrying didn't disclose immediately that he was carrying, took 30 seconds after letting the officer finish with his questions, then disclosed he was packing heat. In court he was found guilty.

After re-reading I didn't really clarify very well thst my questions were directed at the guns stored in the RV, not conceal carry gun. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for the link

EDIT: After reading the link it doesn't specify on declaring properly stored guns when asked if firearms are being transported.
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 pulling a 1996 21 foot StarCraft
Adventure begins in May
23 years old, from Michigan
Add Thank You Reply
(05-04-2016, 04:58 PM)Oopslala Wrote: EDIT: After reading the link it doesn't specify on declaring properly stored guns when asked if firearms are being transported.

I've never heard of any such requirement except for Concealed Carry.

The NRA page on Interstate Transportation of Firearms makes no mention of any such requirement.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101...sportation
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
Ballenxj (12-23-2017)
Yea, there are a few that you must declare if YOU are carrying a gun ON YOU. You should look up each state's laws before entering, just in case.

Having one in the car/truck/van following the Federal safe storage requirements (locked, ammo separate, away from you, etc) does not need to be declared for a traffic stop.

In fact, if you do NOT want to answer that question. You can not lie (illegal to do so) but nor do you want to answer in the affirmative as you may have just given cause for them to search your vehicle. Simply state, with all respect, "Sorry officer, I have been advised not answer any questions without my attorney present" and leave it at that. They may try to add some pressure, but don't fall for it. Just stay respectful and repeat your right to not answer any questions. They will send you on your way soon enough.
Traveling since 2010 - My BlogMy Van
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Van-Tramp for this post:
Ballenxj (12-23-2017), Sameer (05-05-2016)
(05-04-2016, 04:41 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Thanks for this web addy.  It is good to see that what I had thought was true for my state is indeed true.  I saved the link, and the info about my state separately.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
I really wish the feds would create some legislation that makes it legal to carry in all states if you're licensed in your home state same, as a Driver's license. In my younger days I used to carry all over the country and although always done safely, I can only imagine how many times I was carrying illegally but was justifying doing so by telling myself......Well better to be alive and fighting some illegal gun charges then dead following all the laws. However, didn't occur to me back then that many people get caught for carrying where they aren't supposed to and not just in a defend your life situation and i've read many stories online of it basically ruining their lives with jail time, lawyers fees, etc all over a simple traffic stop where it was discovered they had a gun on them. I rarely carry over state lines these days.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-05-2016, 07:15 AM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: I really wish the feds would create some legislation that makes it legal to carry in all states if you're licensed in your home state same, as a Driver's license.  In my younger days I used to carry all over the country and although always done safely, I can only imagine how many times I was carrying illegally but was justifying doing so by telling myself......Well better to be alive and fighting some illegal gun charges then dead following all the laws.  However, didn't occur to me back then that many people get caught for carrying where they aren't supposed to and not just in a defend your life situation and i've read many stories online of it basically ruining their lives with jail time, lawyers fees, etc all over a simple traffic stop where it was discovered they had a gun on them.  I rarely carry over state lines these days.

Yep, I carry any time I *legally* can. My CCW is valid in 32 states, and another few more allow me to open-carry anyway, so you can get some pretty good coverage nowadays. But, there are always going to be a state or two (cough-cough; California) that you just can not do it legally. I do all that I can to stay that "law abiding gun owner" that the majority of us are, but it is increasingly difficult each year with the CA politicians adding more and more laws on the books making it more and more difficult to stay on the legal side. I'd love to just avoid CA, but myself and my girl both have family there.

A 50-state CCW may be a reality in our lifetime, but it will have to be battled out between the Federal Govn't and those anti-gun states (CA, NY, NJ, DC, HI, etc) in the courts. No way are those states going to give up their power to restrict without a fight. Take DC for example; in 2008 they were out0right told by the Supreme Court that they must allow handguns in the district. They are still doing all that they can to stop it. Chicago was told that they must allow handguns to be carried, and they too are still fighting it any way they can. CA was told that they too *must* issue CCW permits, and they too are fighting it. It seems that they will violate the laws and direct orders from the courts with no punishment, but if we did then we are felons.

One day...
Traveling since 2010 - My BlogMy Van
Add Thank You Reply
you gun totters talk about freedom all the time, seems to me, you are limiting your freedom by trying to carry a gun everywhere. It is a major expense, a nuisance to have to handle it/ pack it around, takes up space, is antisocial, a hassle to keep track of legalities and a legal nightmare if you ever use it, I can't see why any one would bother? What use is it? How many people have you shot today? in the last week? or even in the last year? like the saying goes if you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-05-2016, 02:27 PM)flying kurbmaster Wrote: you gun totters talk about freedom all the time, seems to me, you are limiting your freedom by trying to carry a gun everywhere. It is a major expense, a nuisance to have to handle it/ pack it around, takes up space, is antisocial, a hassle to keep track of legalities and a legal nightmare if you ever use it, I can't see why any one would bother? What use is it? How many people have you shot today? in the last week? or even in the last year? like the saying goes if you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it.

Well, a couple of those cited negatives sound like misconceptions rather than intrinsic values (antisocial Huh ) but I can sum up the why of it:

A gun is like a condom: Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

That being said. I carried concealed every day from the time I was an adult in my home state. When this traveling life of mine came about, I didn't even consider taking guns with me at all. I put them into storage. I don't even have one stowed in the van. It just wasn't worth it to me to keep track of various laws while traveling. I think for most who carry it becomes part of an identity. For me that was a testament to how strongly I identify with my newfound freedoms to give up carrying a handgun.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply