Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stopped with guns in vehicle [was: Another gun thread]
https://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/when...drug-dogs/

1) They may ONLY use dogs in a legit traffic stop (you have to have violated a traffic law, or suspicion of at least)
2) They can't keep you waiting to get a dog on the scene, only as long as it takes them to run your license and places. If they can't get one in that time, you are free to leave.
3) Just because an officer SAYS he has the right to search, it does not mean he DOES have the right. Remember, not only is it legal for them to lie, they are trained to lie to us (ask any ex-cop). No matter what he OR the dog says, continue to say that you are not consenting to a search. Lock the doors, and DO NOT give permission or the keys to the officer no matter what he or the dog says. He may take the keys in a pat-down (which he can do) but continue to express your not consenting to the search, no matter what.

Don't argue, just politely don't consent. It is as simple as, "Thank you officer, but I do not consent to a search" in a calm voice. Repeat as needed. If he says you are under arrest, simply offer him your wrists and keep your trap shut.

If you have a camera, film it all, including the dog "alerting". Dogs alerts are wrong more often then they are right and can be fought in court if needed. 

Guns are NOT illegal in a car. Store it properly per the state laws and you are fine on that issue.
Traveling since 2010 - My BlogMy Van
Add Thank You Reply
All that might be pertinent to general encounters in the US but at the Border Patrol checkpoints, with all this extra focus by DHS lately and since you're dealing with the feds, it wouldn't be wise to push your luck.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
(02-07-2018, 10:47 AM)Technomad Wrote: The dog alerted to a moving vehicle?  Where were you driving at the time?  Was it during the day or at night?

It was a full-highway checkpoint;  everyone drove through scanners/readers then were momentarily stopped.  Deep night, maybe 3am?

It wasn't egregious, and BP were polite and professional.
frater/jason in Rains county, TX
Promaster van | technical irrelevant answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
I drove through a bunch of these checkpoints when I went on a trip to Arizona last year. They were all super polite and since I was polite with them and answered their simple question on citizenship I was waved through everytime. Sometimes they didn't even ask me if I was a citizen.

I think the people who really have trouble are there looking for trouble. Just my 2 cents.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to texas0322 for this post:
Burbanlife (02-11-2018), slow2day (02-08-2018)
My encounters with Border Patrol stops took all of four seconds: They asked "Are you a citizen?" and I said "Da, Tovarishch", and they waved me right on through.

Angel

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
Well sure. "Russki privilege"...
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slow2day for this post:
lenny flank (02-08-2018)
slightly off topic but if you're traveling down US395 in CA and have a big american flag visible in a window, most people will assume you have some kind of weapon without even asking and act accordingly.
Add Thank You Reply
The Courts have ruled that your 4th amendment rights don't exist close to borders because national security trumps your rights

United States v. Martinez-Fuerte
a decision of the United States Supreme Court that allowed the United States Border Patrol to set up permanent or fixed checkpoints on public highways leading to or away from the Mexican border and that the checkpoints are not a violation of the Fourth Amendment.[1][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta...nez-Fuerte
Add Thank You Reply
They didn't say your 4th amendment rights don't exist close to the border in Martinez-Fuentes. Read the whole decision. They said the checkpoints weren't a violation of your 4th amendment rights. Big difference.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-05-2016, 02:27 PM)flying kurbmaster Wrote: you gun totters talk about freedom all the time, seems to me, you are limiting your freedom by trying to carry a gun everywhere. It is a major expense, a nuisance to have to handle it/ pack it around, takes up space, is antisocial, a hassle to keep track of legalities and a legal nightmare if you ever use it, I can't see why any one would bother? What use is it? How many people have you shot today? in the last week? or even in the last year? like the saying goes if you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it.

Dodgy  I understand your thinking, but (I was tempted to go all caps with that "but," RolleyesIdea in this world we occupy... could you forgive yourself, live with yourself if you couldn't protect your loved ones if seriously accosted by one with clear intent to harm?  You know we go in harm's way out there(?)
RayDay
Add Thank You Reply