Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washing clothes
I usually travel west of Texas. Usually take plenty of clothes but about every two weeks or so stop at laundrymat in small towns. If i'm in low humidity area I air dry the clothes.
1986 Chevrolet G30 Hi-Cube Van (6.2 Diesel with a TH400 3 sp Auto)
2007 Nissan Xterra (4.0, 5 sp auto, 4wd)
2012 Triumph America 856cc, 5 sp m(MC)
2004 Jeep Wrangler (4.0 , 5 sp m, 4wd )
2014 Little Guy MY POD Trailer

"If life give you lemons, find someone else who life gave them vodka and have a party" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
Perfume in fabric softeners (and detergents) shut down my ability to breath and my skin breaks out in hives !
Laundromat machines are usually saturated with it so.....

I wash small amounts at a time in my sink .
About a gallon to wash and another to rinse. I use maybe a tablespoon of All or Sun Free and Clear type detergent . Always air dry , soften by rolling and crumpling the dry clothes.
Another plus is clothes last longer than when using the machines too !

I had one of those self crank Wonder Washers but hardly ever used it !
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
ArtW (06-03-2016)
You can soften line-dried clothes by giving them a quick iron. As a bonus, you'll always look preppy and well-groomed.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jester for this post:
ArtW (06-03-2016)
Doubt I'll iron, but the crumpling idea sounds like something I could deal with
rvpopeye, I'm not quite that sensitive skinned, but one of the biggest fights of my marriage occurred when I discovered that my wife had continued using softener sheets in our laundry after I had asked he to discontinue their use to see if they had maybe been causing a particularly irritating rash on the 'what he doesn't know won't hurt him' theory
I took over the washing, the rash eased and went away
Add Thank You Reply
(06-03-2016, 10:16 AM)ArtW Wrote: Doubt I'll iron, but the crumpling idea sounds like something I could deal with
rvpopeye, I'm not quite that sensitive skinned, but one of the biggest fights of my marriage occurred when I discovered that my wife had continued using softener sheets in our laundry after I had asked he to discontinue their use to see if they had maybe been causing a particularly irritating rash on the 'what he doesn't know won't hurt him' theory
I took over the washing, the rash eased and went away

I often wonder how much of the chemicals in detergent leach into your skin. After all , products like nicotine patches and testosterone patches have no problem delivering chemicals, and unless all traces of detergent are washed out (which they never are, which is why they get stiff line drying them ) you are walking around with a body sized detergent patch on all day . Actually all scented products are that way. If you can smell something it is because micro particles are in the air. I always get sh*t from people because I smoke, but I have been to a doctor maybe 3 times in 20 years (twice for physicals, once for shingles  ), while everyone I know with the Febreeze smelling houses and simulated pine tree smelling cars are always at the doctor - and the last 4 people I know who died of cancer were non-smokers.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-02-2016, 10:09 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: doesn't bother me at all.  they break in rather fast.  I actually prefer line dried.    highdesertranger
I'm with you on that, i've always air dried everything.  Even if they are rock stiff, they are back to normal in about ten minutes of wearing them.  Not only is air drying cheaper, clothes last longer too
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
highdesertranger (06-03-2016)
(06-03-2016, 02:23 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: I'm with you on that, i've always air dried everything.  Even if they are rock stiff, they are back to normal in about ten minutes of wearing them.  Not only is air drying cheaper, clothes last longer too
Yes. It amazes me that so many people don't understand where lint comes from... 

I was seriously looking at the Panda washers. They get a lot of good reviews, and a bunch of the lower ratings seem to be from people who want the little washer to be something it isn't. 

However, I have recently decided to convert my school bus instead of my box truck. Given that I will have more space, I just ordered this for $299: http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLP24E-Portable-Stainless-Pulsator/dp/B00WSVFM7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464992515&sr=8-1&keywords=haier+hlp24e+washer

I know someone here in town who uses the 1.0 cu. ft. version of this Haier washer, and she is very happy with it.
Add Thank You Reply
Sometimes it's hard to find a Laundromat with a bar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Bob Dickerson for this post:
gargoyle (12-04-2016), Every Road Leads Home (07-28-2016), highdesertranger (06-04-2016)
Ian, that's a very good point, I know there are brands of detergent I can't use, regardless of drying technique
I wonder how one gets clothes clean without detergents though
ERLH, I didn't know that, but it does make sense, once you study on it some
Cognitive dissonance, that's an interesting washer
I've been considering a wonder washer or some such, or the ol bucket method
My Cabin will be fairly small, and a washer takes a lot of room, I'm considering portable options that don't require a set aside space
Add Thank You Reply
(06-04-2016, 09:27 AM)ArtW Wrote: Ian, that's a very good point, I know there are brands of detergent I can't use, regardless of drying technique
I wonder how one gets clothes clean without detergents though
ERLH, I didn't know that, but it does make sense, once you study on it some
Cognitive dissonance, that's an interesting washer
I've been considering a wonder washer or some such, or the ol bucket method
My Cabin will be fairly small, and a washer takes a lot of room, I'm considering portable options that don't require a set aside space

Art, if you're in a brick and mortar, try washing a load twice - the second time without detergent. Firstly, you'll see that the water in the second batch is cloudy and still sudsy, so that will tell you that the rinse cycle doesn't remove all the soap (if it did , you wouldn't be able to smell it in freshly washed clothes ). Secondly you'll see that whether you line dry or machine dry, they will be super soft. So obviously the stiffness in line dried clothes comes from the detergent left in the fabric.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to IanC for this post:
highdesertranger (06-04-2016)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Scrubba - clothes washing solution. LeeRevell 30 7,329 04-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Last Post: purplepeopleeater