Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washing clothes
I use laundromats when I find them, a bucket when I don't. When I'm in the Pacific NW I can't depend on air drying anything so I use laundromats more often.
 [Image: Updated%20sig%20pic.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
(06-04-2016, 09:27 AM)ArtW Wrote: I wonder how one gets clothes clean without detergents though

There are any number of recipes for laundry soap on the internet (and I think there was a thread about here it some time back)

I've been considering a wonder washer or some such, or the ol bucket method
My Cabin will be fairly small, and a washer takes a lot of room, I'm considering portable options that don't require a set aside space

I use the same 5 gallon bucket that is my commode and do laundry while driving.  Washboard roads agitate really well.

(06-04-2016, 10:00 AM)IanC Wrote: Art, if you're in a brick and mortar, try washing a load twice - the second time without detergent. Firstly, you'll see that the water in the second batch is cloudy and still sudsy, so that will tell you that the rinse cycle doesn't remove all the soap (if it did , you wouldn't be able to smell it in freshly washed clothes ). Secondly you'll see that whether you line dry or machine dry, they will be super soft. So obviously the stiffness in line dried clothes comes from the detergent left in the fabric.

If you see soap in the second rinse try using less detergent.  Instructions on commercial detergent tell you to use way more soap than you need.

Interesting about line drying and residual detergent.  I'll have to experiment.

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply
Art:
Wash with a bit of Baking Soda. Maybe 1/2 Cup. (I use it for shampoo, 1 tsp to cup of water) and
Rinse: Vinegar (Bragg's w/the 'mother' cause it's REAL) Probably same amounts.

Don't knock it til you've tried it! SmileSmile
HOWEVER: DON'T get 'organic' baking soda for cleaning. It's for ingesting, not cleaning! I found there's a difference.
I love to put a TBS. in a stained, gallon tea pitcher, go back a few hours later and it's CLEAN like brand new!
 Heart My YouTube Channel all about my 'trip' (because "journey" is so overused!)  Heart

Static '04 Wilderness Advantage 36.5 + Road-ready '06 Toyota Sienna + Project Granny Cabin

Add Thank You Reply
I have a wonder washer but I don't really like it.  I prefer the typical "amish" blue plunger and a bucket but the problem for me with all hand washing is the lack of a spin cycle to rinse out the water prior to hanging on the line.  So I got one of those blue spinners  and I love it.  Yes you would need an inverter but it wrings the heck out of clothes and I only leave it on for a few seconds to get the majority of the water out of the clothes.   Especially needed with towels.

Gary
Add Thank You Reply
(07-28-2016, 05:59 PM)gonegary Wrote: I have a wonder washer but I don't really like it.  I prefer the typical "amish" blue plunger and a bucket but the problem for me with all hand washing is the lack of a spin cycle to rinse out the water prior to hanging on the line.  So I got one of those blue spinners  and I love it.  Yes you would need an inverter but it wrings the heck out of clothes and I only leave it on for a few seconds to get the majority of the water out of the clothes.   Especially needed with towels.

Gary

The Laundry Alternative is where I got the spinner
Add Thank You Reply
does any body use an old fashion wringer to get the excess water out? manual operation no electricity needed. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
I've wrung by hand in the past, PITA, but works
Add Thank You Reply
(07-28-2016, 06:04 PM)gonegary Wrote: The Laundry Alternative is where I got the spinner

Which model did you get? I don't mind the hand wash either but the wringing is a genuine pain in the hands, back, etc.! I was looking at them but its hard on a phone!

Thanks!
Joni & co-pilot Timex

1989 24' Triple E - C   7.3L diesel
850W solar (I love electric stuff!)
Cool electric mobility scoot!!
Full-time boondocker (at the racetrack for this (2017/18) winter)

Add Thank You Reply
(06-04-2016, 08:22 AM)Bob Dickerson Wrote: Sometimes it's hard to find a Laundromat with a bar.

Ha, I thought I was the only one!  No lie, laundromat in my town has a great little bar next to it and serves good food too.  I now look forward to laundry day.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
Anyone tried the Scrubba bag? https://thescrubba.com
HoboSteve
1993 Jamboree Searcher 24'
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Scrubba - clothes washing solution. LeeRevell 30 7,336 04-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Last Post: purplepeopleeater