Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washing clothes
I decided on the manual type. Found a plunger at the Dollar Tree and have a 5-gallon Home Depot bucket. Biodegradable soap and I'm in business.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
frater secessus (11-28-2017)
Has anybody ever done "research" to see what cotton/poly combo is best for air-drying clothes as a nomad? I am wondering if 60%/40% cotton/polyester will dry in an appropriate amount of time?
Add Thank You Reply
Problem I have with special high tech blends for quick drying, is they get smelly lots faster!

For me anyway, not just shirts but socks.

Merino wool for the win!
Add Thank You Reply
My "research" results show that a blend of synthetics & cotton will air dry quicker that cotton alone. Synthetics generally retain warmth when wet as well, while cotton will remove warmth when wet. Each of these attributes can be both harmful & beneficial, depending on the circumstance. However, a damp or wet shirt of either material is refreshing to wear when it's hot, and the synthetic will still dry quicker. One example; while walking I came upon a creek and dipped my shirt as the air temp was 105f, and fifteen minutes later I noticed it was dry. I second the use of merino wool for socks.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
If you want something thats way better than a 5 gallon bucket but the same principle use some kind of an old cooler. After I got my 12 volt fridge I thought 'don't need that old 15$ igloo ice cube chest I got at Walmart anymore'.

Hmmmmm - if I cut a whole in the top for the plunger handle I have a RAHeeeely nice washin masheen! Its on wheels, can close the lid and have a spot to set a drink, when time to drain extend the handle and roll whereever & pull the plug.............

Jus sayin.............INTJohn
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to INTJohn for this post:
GypsySpirit (01-03-2018), Cammalu (01-03-2018), speedhighway46 (01-03-2018)
Did not read whole thread here so apologies if this is a redundant post.

Yes, its more expensive than a bucket & plunger (is ~$43) but my son bought one of these hand crank laundry spinners for his apartment and loves it. He works in a brewery and can't get to laundromat easily, so wanted to be able to rinse out shirts and stuff easily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C8HR9A/ref...5646873558

downside: may take up more room to store. Upside: with lightweight fabrics it helps spin the water out and dry time is super minimal.
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
Yes, that was our only laundry appliance for almost a decade raising kids off-grid. Excellent, uses **very** little precious water boondocking, cleans as well as a big electric washer with hot water, and very easy, long as you don't let the pile grow, keep up with the washing regularly.

You can store some stuff inside when not in use.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Scrubba - clothes washing solution. LeeRevell 30 7,329 04-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Last Post: purplepeopleeater